Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Abram Arkhipov technique ….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    sound

Trying to de construct his method. Here is one of his fabulous works….

Now when i zoom in , there seems to be plenty of dry brush :confused: . I think thats what they are called So that means the underneath layer is dry . So did he use a fast drying medium ? or was the painting done in stages? That means not plein air ?

Fechin also used plenty of dry brush . I read somewhere that he didnt use any medium. So i am really trying to understand their methods.Specially the question i am asking, is there a way to use dry brush technique when painting in one sitting without using a fast drying medium for initial layers ?

Ok the dry brush that i have been referring to , may be actually called scumbling :confused: I dont know.

Monsur

Dcam
            sound

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/07-Sep-2018/183894-RS2.jpg[/IMG] It has the look of Richard Schmid landscapes.

Thanks for introducing us……very nice.

Yeah exactly….This piece does resemble Schmid’s overcast grey day paintings. You should definitely checkout Russian realists and impressionists. Abram Arkhipov and Nicolai Fechin are two of my absolute favourites.

Monsur

JCannon

Not sure how he did it. But that’s a terrific painting.

It appears that he worked on a dark ground, which leads me to suspect that he used white chalk or something similar to draw in the basic forms. I further suspect that much of the “drawing” was done with a brush.

Here are the only words I can find about Arkhipov’s practice:

“Around 1910 Arkhipov started painting a series of portraits of peasant women from his hometown region. In these paintings the figures are dressed in bright national costumes and painted with broad decisive strokes. From here forward the theme of peasant life would dominate his work for the rest of his life. His painting style began to change from his earlier detailed work to a more expressive and passionate style. As a fellow teacher I can almost picture Arkhipov’s life by reading his paintings. I can see him rushing from the classroom to his studio, making the most with his time, he had already thought out each brushstroke before arriving to his studio. When you look at his work you can feel his confidence with each stroke. Arkhipov painted with thick paint letting colors from underneath come through. He used a strong value pattern to lead the viewer’s eye around the picture plane. Unlike Grabar Arkhipov’s technique is not soft and sensitive, but bold and assertive. Also, unlike Grabar’s cold aloof work, Arkhipov’s work is filled with the heart and soul of the Russian people. The Moscow branch of Russian Impressionism became known for its warm ochre colors, which I am sure came from Arkhipov’s delicious warm palette.”

I would prefer more detail, but we must take what we can get. If further “suspicions” are permissible, I would guess that he worked from dark to light. Obviously, his strokes were thick and heavy. Incidentally, his other works showed that he had a fondness for thick vermilion and extremely high contrast. This guy was one HELL of a painter!

amirbkt2

Wow all these painting are in a higher level that i can even imagine
                        It’s really amazing how simple those brush strokes seems but when you look at it from distance you won’t even see those brush strokes

Dcam
                            Raffless

[IMG]http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/07-Sep-2018/183894-RS2.jpg[/IMG] It has the look of Richard Schmid landscapes.

Thanks for introducing us……very nice.

Arkipov did washing lines too Derek.

:)

Richard P

Beautiful paintings!

These are the kind of style of realism with abstracted brushwork up close. One of my favourite styles. I think David Leffel refers to it as Abstract Realism :)

ronsu18

that composition is so insanely good i’m going bonkers trying to accept it exists.

C&C welcome

Dcam
                                            Delofasht

Here is a video showing how to scumble wet on wet, and what a scumble actually is. That said, this is what we see present in Arkhipov’s work above, lighter opaque paints used over more darkly painted areas. It can be done wet in wet, but it may have been done over several sessions, all done plein air (at the site location). Plein Air does not need to be finished in a single session.

- Delo Delofasht
                                                DMSS

[URL=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3hhCH2g04g]Here[/URL] is a video showing how to scumble wet on wet, and what a scumble actually is. That said, this is what we see present in Arkhipov’s work above, lighter opaque paints used over more darkly painted areas. It can be done wet in wet, but it may have been done over several sessions, all done plein air (at the site location). Plein Air does not need to be finished in a single session.

Thank you, Delo. That is a good, clear video.

--David

Dcam

Delo…..she is great. Very informative.
                                                        Look for the cat…lower left at 4.15 when she goes for the white.

budigart

You can learn the gist of this “technique” if you spend some time watching the free and short instructional videos of Mark Carder available on his web site, DrawMixPaint. His main instruction sounds simple because it is, but it works: PAINT UGLY . . . DON’T BLEND. It is very hard to do this, but after awhile, the reason for it comes clear.

sound

Delo , yeah i saw her video shortly after posting this thread. As soon as i remembered the word scumbling :D i youtubed it . She is really very clear and precise with the instruction. Cant wait to try those out and see the results.

Monsur

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.