Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Larger Oil Paint Tubes Banged UpDistorted

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    alpha101

Hello all!

I am curious if anyone else here who frequently uses larger oil paint tubes – 150 ml or 200 ml – has received them with the tubes being ‘banged up’ or bent typically on or around the crimped end of the tubes? I have heard it is not atypical for tubes of heavier pigments like cadmium or cobalt, but I am not sure how common(?)

I imagine that since the inorganic/heavy metal pigments are heavier than organic pigments, the tubes are more apt to contort or change shape due to the heavier weight, but I am curious if this is a reoccurring thing for others. Thanks :)

cb3

I’ve had many tubes banged up in shipping due to poor packing and rough shipment. Both from Jerry’s and Blick. Tubes thrown loose in box with a piece of bubble wrap laying on top flopping around. With nothing to hold them in place tubes crashing into each other the whole trip – flying from one end of the box to the other. :crying:

Had a few punctures and caps knocked off with leaks. :crying: :crying:

If I get the tubes intact, I feel lucky.:thumbsup:

I have reported this issue to both Jerry’s and Blick for years. All tubes should be shipped in an individual box for each paint and then well packed in the shipping box. Some times there is paint or oil leaking out of the crimped end because of rough handling. I send a photo to their customer service and ask for a replacement. They have never refused, but some times it takes a few e-mails back and forth. Given the price of paint I expect it to all arrive in excellent condition. It is unfortunate that any company chose not to pack our purchases better…saving us time and them money. Happy painting:thumbsup:

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

JCannon

Speaking of large tubes that “go bad”: I once had a large-ish amount of Cobalt Violet go rock solid on me shortly after I retubed it. Not sure what went wrong; the stuff was malleable when it went in. Losing a tube through some mishap is annoying; losing a larger tube is more annoying still — but losing a large tube of expensive paint is even more distressing.

So that’s an argument in favor of buying small. Except for white, of course.

To address the topic at hand: The paints I’ve purchased through the mail have all arrived in satisfactory shape, but buying from the store is still recommended. In the first place, we want to keep the brick-and-mortar stores operational. In the second place, nothing beats the satisfaction of seeing precisely what you are getting. In the third place, you can chat with the cute girl behind the counter who is far too young for you.

Raffless

I have reported this issue to both Jerry’s and Blick for years. All tubes should be shipped in an individual box for each paint and then well packed in the shipping box. Some times there is paint or oil leaking out of the crimped end because of rough handling. I send a photo to their customer service and ask for a replacement. They have never refused, but some times it takes a few e-mails back and forth. Given the price of paint I expect it to all arrive in excellent condition. It is unfortunate that any company chose not to pack our purchases better…saving us time and them money. Happy painting:thumbsup:

Too expensive to do that. If your willing to pay extra for P&P maybe.

cb3

Gamblin’s regular artist line in large tubes usually come in a box that helps keep them in better shape. Not sure about their 1980 line.

Richeson Shiva large tubes come in boxes BUT they are so thin they don’t offer as much protection. A little is better than nothing. Dents but no punctures. Dents I can live with.

A small effort by the person packing the shipment boxes would go a long way to solving this problem. I have a feeling shipping quotas, time constraints, lack of training and low personal work ethic create the perfect storm for product damage.

Bubble wrap and rubber band all the tubes together would be a good start.

Don Ketchek

If the damage is substantial enough, I would definitely ask for a refund or replacement. I haven’t ordered many tubes online, but those from Blick have come in individual boxes, as far as I can remember. As mentioned, if the tubes are damaged, the company should replace them for free.

Don

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.