Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design Bit off more than I can chew… HELP!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    NVillano

Hello all. I have only posted here a couple of times but I love reading all of your posts. So a little background. Up until now I have only painted portraits in oil paint. A photo my husband took (posted below) inspired me to attempt my first landscape. Well, this is so beyond challenging that I am ready to give up. I decided to start with sky as I knew it would be a challenge and didn’t want to work on the water, bridge, and jetty only to have to scrap it because I screwed up the sky. Boy was I right! This sky is kicking my butt. I have started to paint it 4 separate times and end up wiping it away and starting over each time. Any advice on how to slay this beast??? I just keep making mud. HELP! Lol any advice is greatly appreciated!

virgil carter

Very strong photo–very strong story and emotion to it! :-)

I’m a watercolor painter, so my thoughts may not be helpful in oils…

Do you see the major shapes? Do you see the directional elements in sky, water and land forms? Do you see the layers of color and value beginning with the sky and carrying into the water?

If you see these, then it’s a matter of several phases of painting. If this was going to be a watercolor painting, one would begin with the lighter, more colorful hues, and layer or glaze subsequent darker and more neutralized passages. In watercolor, we paint from light to dark.

Good luck on your wonderful story! :-)

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

NVillano

Very strong photo–very strong story and emotion to it! :-)

I’m a watercolor painter, so my thoughts may not be helpful in oils…

Do you see the major shapes? Do you see the directional elements in sky, water and land forms? Do you see the layers of color and value beginning with the sky and carrying into the water?

If you see these, then it’s a matter of several phases of painting. If this was going to be a watercolor painting, one would begin with the lighter, more colorful hues, and layer or glaze subsequent darker and more neutralized passages. In watercolor, we paint from light to dark.

Good luck on your wonderful story! :-)

Sling paint,
                Virgil

Thank you so much for the advice! Yes, it was in fact an emotional day and the picture captured the moment perfectly. My cousin lost her husband and we lit off 500 lanterns in his memory this night, at this location.

I tried doing the darkest colors first. I am going to try to do the lighter colors first like you suggested and see where that leads me!! Thank you again!

ptrkgmc

I would base this painting on one point perspective, but, …
                    I would make one point for the pier, and and other separate point for the sky,thus,
                    And, I would place my sky perspective slightly below the horizon to account for the curvature of the earth.
                    [ATTACH]855778[/ATTACH]

Sparro

I love the pink color in there. I would start with a nice wet light blue with a tad of gray in it, then start blending some darker grayish blue into it to make bumpy clouds. There’s 3 or 4 different layers of color, so you could start by mixing up a lighter blue and steadily add some gray to get all the colors. Then make a lavender/blue variety for some of the stormy dark under colors.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.