Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Protecting the floor in a home studio

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    forrie

I want to have hardwood floors in my townhouse; the second bedroom is used for painting. Sure, I have plenty of tarps, but my question is has anyone experience with flooring treatments (by professionals or DIY) that protect the wood, such as epoxy.

Generally, epoxy coverings may crack with something like wood, which is organic. But I’ve heard of some folks doing it. My goals it to coat the flooring with something that is resistant to paint, etc.

Thanks.

Lauresa

I have nice hardwood floors in the room I use for a studio. I bought an inexpensive piece of carpet from a big box store to protect the floors. I don’t worry about getting paint on it and it provides a little padding for standing in front of the easel. If it gets too nasty someday, I’ll replace it. Best of luck!

Laura

TriciaBallad

I have carpet throughout my house, and what I’ve done is laid old worn-out sheets or towels under my art table. As Lauresa said – I don’t care if I (or the kids) spill paint on them, and they protect the carpet. If they get too bad, I toss them in the wash (ALONE!).

nikifineart

I have nice hardwood floors in the room I use for a studio. I bought an inexpensive piece of carpet from a big box store to protect the floors. I don’t worry about getting paint on it and it provides a little padding for standing in front of the easel. If it gets too nasty someday, I’ll replace it. Best of luck!

Laura

Nice idea!!! Thanks!

forrie

The prior owner of my townhouse put Pergo (yuck) in the room I’ll be painting in; however, I’ve actually found it to be quite durable and resistant to scratching, etc. So I may be OK there.

I also had an idea, to install grommets in fabric drop cloths and mount them on the wall behind my easel to capture any splatters (and on the floor, of course), while I’m painting. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot. I couldn’t use the plastic stuff, it would drive me nuts, especially with the noise it makes :)

saintperez

I also had an idea, to install grommets in fabric drop cloths and mount them on the wall behind my easel to capture any splatters (and on the floor, of course), while I’m painting. They are pretty cheap at Home Depot. I couldn’t use the plastic stuff, it would drive me nuts, especially with the noise it makes :)

Great idea!

Santiago Perez

La_

roll ends of lino are also good floor protectors, they’re waterproof and rolly chairs work well on lino.

la

Monoi

I went to our local carpet shop and got some lino ends a nice slate effect it covers half my studio cost £10

ddattler

Rubber backed Rugs under my work area. It’s saved me a lot of disasters. LOL.

http://wildlifearts.com
                                        Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

cbg1019

My studio is in my sunroom which has limestone floors. I put rag board down, works well, but buckles at the ends in some areas. Also, the tape I used had a residue which sticks to floor and accumulates dirt.

downriver

I use a tacky on one side roll out plastic on the carpeted area coming out of my studio. It comes in a 2′ wide roll, it’s clear, doesn’t slide around, seals strip to strip and it’s inexpensive. It’s made for painters and movers, available at the home improvement stores.

I put it down on the studio floors when I have a messy project, I’m getting the pastels out or I’m turning the grandchildren loose. But mainly it keeps the path way out of the room from becoming soiled. Just ask for a carpet shield, or surface shield.

Use Her Name

I understand what you mean. You are trying to find a flexible type of brush on or roll on covering, not necessarily a rug or topping. I have looked around for such a thing as well, and have only come up with the rugs/sheets of thin plywood, or vinyl rolls. Right now I am using old thin “luan” plywood, simply because there was a lot taken down from the walls of this old house, and they are plenty of them around ( a whole stack). I would prefer a nice plain black vinyl roll (not fake tile look).

I haven’t seen anything for this made for wood floors. The only thing I think you could do is to paint on an extra layer of whatever is on the floor now.

No longer a member of WC. Bye.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.