Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals S&B Nova sketchbook grey

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    vhere

I’m really enjoying using this so though I’ve shown these individually, I thought I’d give the book it’s own thread

It’s the A5 sized Nova and I’m really enjoying working on the toned paper. I had bought a Strathmore a while back but the paper just isn’t good enough quality. it’s too thin, paint or ink can bleed through, it buckles. The Nova doesnt :)

The first 2 are gouache with a little charcoal pencil and the third is acrylic ink – Paynes Grey and white, drawn with twigs and brushes, no preliminary pencil, just straight in with the ink, The grey paper really helps with the wintery mood.

Delofasht

So looking forward to see more in that book. Pretty sure I will end up purchasing one of the S&B Sketchbooks for my presentation sketchbook, and a couple of other brands for intermediary steps. As you noted, the Strathmore paper tends to be too thin, but they did make a heavier weight toned journal[/URL] recently (designed for mixed media). This is one I am looking to try the paper from, as it is marked as a heavyweight 300gsm paper.

I really like how your toned pages look with Gouache, so fantastic!

- Delo Delofasht

I love your style of painting! I hope to see you posting more pages for us to see! :cat:

[FONT="Arial Black"]Art by Michelle Lim
            Instagram | Blog | Shop

vhere

interesting that Strathmore are doing a heavier weight paper – it should be better but the sizing in S&B is so much better so they would need to improve that as well

and thank you :)

This is my sketching out kit for the inks – thanks to KK[/URL] for the tip on putting gauze in the jar – it means the ink doesn’t spill when taken out. You can even turn it upside down but the twigs or brush still pick up enough ink to draw with

plus either a waterbrush or jar of water for washes

Sydney214

As ever I love your sketches. They are expressive in a way I never seem to capture in my own sketches.

I bought a Nova for a holiday sketchbook and loved it. Came home and ordered more.

vhere

As ever I love your sketches. They are expressive in a way I never seem to capture in my own sketches.

I bought a Nova for a holiday sketchbook and loved it. Came home and ordered more.

practice practice practice! my first plein air pieces were terrible at a point when my studio work was much better. I have to be interested in whatever I sketch for some reason – light, pattern, texture, mood, sense of place, whatever.

I also like to work from life or sketches that were done from life as I see things differently from the limited colours and light of a camera (and the spatial distortions that come from zoom/wide angle lenses).

Your own innate distortion or emphasis comes through as well when working from life – one of my tutors at uni said that I have this habit of taking your eye zooming over the foreground and into the picture. I wasn’t doing it consciously but I do want you to be ‘in’ the place/still life/whatever so was obviously doing it unconsciously to achieve that.

eyepaint

Oooh so good!! Vibrant!

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Joan T

Glad to hear that the Nova works so well for this. I love the second sketch a lot. Nicely done!

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Joan T
                                [FONT=Book Antiqua]www.watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com

Delofasht

I just wanted to chime in that S&B uses fantastic paper, and their binding on their books is the best I have seen on a sketchbook. I have decided to utilize their Zeta line for my presentation “sketchbook”, really looking forward to working in it in a variety of media. Think I might use a few pages out of my cheap Strathmore sketchbook to organize what I plan to do in my presentation book. That is a great relief to me too, as I still had 40 or so sheets left and now know how to use about half of those.

- Delo Delofasht
                                  Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.