Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Drawing Light Question

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Hey guys. I’ve been hospitalized since February but want to return to drawing as soon as I can get the necessary equipment. While I was away both my lamps were broken, my table left outside in the Florida humidity along with all my paper, etc. I don’t know if my table will be usable but I think I’ll start by replacing the lamps. They bolt to the table using clamps rather than bases. I see there are so many good choices in LEDs that I think that is the way to go but which one? The average LED lamp is going to last 17 years if used 8 hours a day 7 days a week so I won’t concern myself with that. But I want something that will provide optimal light as well as durability … and probably a pair for the best light.

Here’s what I had … I was never a fan of the round light though … the strip was better for me.

What do you use or recommend? Or what don’t you like about what you have?
    Thanks

painterdude

I hope your health continues to improve. I’m familiar with how humidity can affect things – up here in Newfoundland the weather gets a teen bit damp at times, lol.
        I use a strip lamp much like yours. Mine is turned so that the light shines more on the wall, and then on the desk top. This gives what I feel is a more diffuse light that I prefer. I’d give some thought to getting a lamp with a “daylight” color range…one that’s too blue or too yellow can affect any color work you do.

Thanks for your thoughts Jim. I only work in graphite so color isn’t a big part of my needs. From what I can see the BYB E430 looks promising. There are so many choices though … and I don’t trust the reviews necessarily so I figured turning here for recommendations was a smart move – after all, this is the place to find other artists using such lights to create art. I’ve heard a few things about certain models not being very strong and durable so I figured I might hear complaints along with accolades.

fedetony

Hi Ken, I was missing you around. Hopefully you’ll recover fully!
            My studio has several lights which I use simultaneously. The led lights work quite fine but I believe is better when I have different types of lights on at the same time. So Normally I have normal yellow light for the room, a neon tube at middle distance and use a led stripe with 60W (1m stripe, but with dimmer so I use middle setting) close or over my working table. Sometimes I do not work on the table, so I have a semi portable neon tube light as well.

Federico Garcia
            My Blog
            C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Hi Federico … I’ve missed being around here. I had a leg amputated so recovery will be long and tedious but I’m moving ahead. I actually got a couple commissions so I need to get things ready. I haven’t actually drawn in about 8 years so we’ll see how rusty I am – in the past I pretty much pick up where I left off. But the people were willing to pay my asking prices and willing to wait a bit so it’s hard to say no.

Light is important and I can’t rely on the room lighting or sunlight. I was just curious as to what others were using and what they thought of their arrangement.

Hi Ken, I have a daylight strip light down the centre of my studio and a warmer portable light near my easel. I turn it so that it imitates the light source for me. Works well. I am so pleased you have some commissions. Time to use that talent of yours again.:thumbsup: :)

Chammi
            My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Glad you see you getting back into it Ken! :thumbsup:
            Sorry I can’t help with the light – I’m not keen on painting/drawing at night. I’ll be interested to see the replies to your post though. The best of luck! :grouphug:

Moderator: Animal & Wildlife, Floral & Botanical, Watermedia

Thanks Chammi – I need to get going with art again. Thank you for your input.

Thank you also Vivian. I don’t often actually draw at night, but I like plenty of light on my work during the day. It’s still going to be a while before I make a start of it though. I have to find my pencils/erasers and maybe even a sharpener in all these boxes first. Not to mention cleaning things up significantly. Unfortunately I find exerting myself even for a short time is exhausting so I take lots of naps. This getting old stuff isn’t for sissies. :rolleyes:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.