Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Liquin+linseed oil

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Hi, I have experimented a bit with mixing Liquin and linseen oil as a medium, and I like it a lot. By adding a touch of linseed to liquin I got a very easy flowing medium with high gloss. It dried overnight which I liked and the result was a surface that looked like the traditional linsee/turp mix I have been using before (but don’t like because of the smell). Just liquin create a more matte/plastic finish I think.

Anyone else that mix liquin with other mediums? Comments?

paintfool

i agree with you on that henrik, it seems that if you use liquin alone it can take a very long time to dry. It’s fine if you don’t thin too much. i’ll try your mix w/ the linseed oil. Have you tried stand oil? i seem to have better results with it. It does however, give you more visable brushstrokes, but i like that for some things….Cheryl

Hm – liquin on its own dries fast in my opinion – some pigments however take long time to dry. Have not tried stand oil. I want things to be as smooth as possible.

i live for stand oil

when mixed with thinner (i use turpenoid nat) & liquin, dries really fast, unless painted very heavy then dries fast, but not really fast.

also bruin was telling me about using a different “gesso” but i forget what so that the paint actually absorbs in the canvas… milt, do you remember talking to me about this? i’ve been meaning to ask about it again, this seems an appropriate spot!

——————
        km[/url]

If things can’t hold up to criticism or examination, which sometimes means ridicule, then it’s not very good." - John Baldessari

Liquin seems to be a good medium. But it is impossible to have any serious and precise information about its formulation. I avoid this product because of that.
        When a company does not want to tell artists what material is included in their products, you can be sure the company is not innocent. Medium are bad-ageing, paints are overfilled with bentonites, silicas, waxes, alumina hydrate, chalk and so on. There are laws which force food makers to list exactly the ingredients they use. I hope that all the artist will one day force their provider to list all the strange things they put in paints only for profits.

muz

Thank you so much for this, Henrik I’m going to try it on my new painting… What ratio of paint to liquin to linseed oil do you use? Rule is thumb is maximum 20 % medium in total, but I find this unrealistic at times when you want a really thin layer.

Liquin seems to be a good medium. But it is impossible to have any serious and precise information about its formulation. I avoid this product because of that.

Perfectly sound idea to work under.

When a company does not want to tell artists what material is included in their products, you can be sure the company is not innocent.

Generally I would agree with you about this but don’t be so quick to throw out the baby with the bathwater – if you apply this rigidly you would have to give up painting entirely. In fact you would have to abandon just about any artistic pursuit.

Medium are bad-ageing…

Many are, yes.

paints are overfilled with bentonites, silicas, waxes, alumina hydrate, chalk and so on.

That is a matter of interpretation, not a simple fact. And if you’re going to go down this road someone will ask you to be specific and name brands ;)

There are laws which force food makers to list exactly the ingredients they use. I hope that all the artist will one day force their provider to list all the strange things they put in paints only for profits.

There is a level of product information that we will never be, and should not be, privy to – e.g. Coke’s ingredients mention vegetable extracts but don’t go into more detail.

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

O.K, Einion, I’m a little extremist. But I don’t like to be considered as an idiot by the paintmakers. I have no great university diploma in organic chemistry or complex dispersion rheology. But I think there is no shame for an artist to be also a good crafts(wo)man, and therefore to have some technical knowledges in the fields involved in his (her) field. These guys (paintmakers) look down on us as if we were pure ignorants. I think they should be more modest and try to give some clear information, instead of scorning us because we have not these information they keep secret.
            When I go in a museum to study a painting, there are sometimes friends who go with me. They don’t know anything in painting. I don’t laugh at them, I try to explain them what I know about the masterpieces they are looking to. They are very patient, and they finally understand my boring art-historic or scientific explainations.
            It would be better if paintmakers tried the same way. Recently, I resurrected a thread about an alkyd thixotropic gel, giving some technical informations about this kind of stuff’s formulation. These informations can make an artist avoid waisting time and art material, because if a medium is actually formulated with a polyamid modified alkyd resin, adding even few quantities of a polar diluent like alcohol can destroy the gel chemical structure and make it flow. Now, in order to obtain pastes with a shorter consistence, some paints contains rheology modifiers which are activated by polar solvents. If you mix these paints with a polyamid-modified alkyd gel, instead of the good and firm handling you expected, you will have a runny flowing paint…
            And of course the manufacturer will never be responsible of this misuse.
            Today, when they have to discover very sophisticated treatments to stop the ruining of a Van Gogh landscape, the paint restorers don’t tell us that X or Y nineteeth century paint manufacturer was a swindle. They blame Van Gogh himself for his unsound technique!
            So the artists have to be precisely informed about what they use in their works.
            Sorry for my strange french english and thank you for reading it!

If you review past threads you’ll see that many of your fellow members are right with you on the materials knowledge and craftsmanship points, both are definitely worth promoting to today’s crop of artists and this is an area where sites like this can be of great help, directly and indirectly.

In addition to being a bit sweeping I think it’s a bit harsh to imply that paintmakers all look down on their customers, although I have no doubt it’s true of one that you think highly of I’m afraid. It’s not inaccurate to say the average buyer is ignorant though; and it’s not an insulting word per se. Most buyers don’t know much about what goes into their materials and actually don’t care to, they’d prefer to spend their time learning to use them rather than learning about them, not realising that the two go hand in hand in many cases. But even the knowledgeable painter doesn’t have a full grasp of the topic… in the way that I once read a neurosurgeon describe his knowledge of the brain, not knowing much, as opposed to being completely ignorant like the average physician! :)

If one takes the time to contact paint makers many are only too happy these days to aid their buyers develop a better understanding of their materials (even sometimes without specific reference to their own product, I’ve received help from a colourman in Daler-Rowney about issues not directly relating to their own range). We’ve seen that here with Martha Gamblin’s helpful input over the years and quite a few firms now have a forum on their site where they will answer questions about their products and related issues. Members who have made the effort to contact makers themselves can often get informative answers, Golden Paints probably being the shining example of this.

I think they should be more modest and try to give some clear information… we have not these information they keep secret.

You’re right I think, some things should not be a secret, within the limits of product confidentiality.

Included in this class of information should be accurate, even-handed mention of the inclusion of fillers – the use of which is far more widespread than anyone will admit because of the poor light in which they are held (due largely to ignorance on the details of the issue I might add, I was guilty of this myself for many years, the blanket ‘fillers are bad’ attitude) – the types of oils and their strengths and weaknesses, and importantly, the appropriate role of stabilisers of different kinds. Because of the openness with which members of various levels can discuss materials here we’ve had the opportunity to discover for ourselves that makers who purport to give their customers the full story might be lying through their teeth, so you can’t win can you? :D

Today, when they have to discover very sophisticated treatments to stop the ruining of a Van Gogh landscape, the paint restorers don’t tell us that X or Y nineteeth century paint manufacturer was a swindle. They blame Van Gogh himself for his unsound technique!

I’m afraid you’re being a little too harsh here also, I’ve actually heard a conservator from the Van Gogh Museum talking directly about the failing of materials in his work, the most evident example being the discolouration of his chrome yellows and oranges.

Sorry for my strange french english and thank you for reading it!

Your English is better than my French I assure you :)

Einion

Do you know if your colour is off in hue, value, chroma... or all three?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk

Lorenz

Hi, I am reopening this old thread because I am experimenting with Liquin + linseed oil. Background: I dislike the tackiness of Liquin but love its fast-drying quality. I want to be able to continue a painting the day after (as Liquin makes possible) but I don’t want to loose the characteristic smoothness of oil. I want to be able to pull out the paint very thinly (also with soft brushes!) without the bristles sticking to the canvas and ripping off when I move the brush!

I am now mixing Liquin with linseed oil (which contains some Kobalt siccative!!) 50:50%. The siccative is to compensate for the loss of drying speed.

Is this just raving madness :evil:, or could that be a sound mixture? (I don’t yet have the result because I have just brushed on my first test.)
                Any experience anywhere?

WFMartin

Personally, I avoid all alkyd mediums like the plague, for use with traditional oil paint. However, if you truly seem driven to use an alkyd, such as Liquin, then use it for every step of the oil painting process, rather than interleaving layers of alkyd-laden paint with layers of traditional, oil-laden layers of paint.
                    Alkyd mediums demonstrate a distinct difference in their drying characteristics compared to traditional drying oils, the chief one being their condition after having dried. I feel it is a case of compatibility. And, I don’t believe that simply “mixing” a drying oil such as Linseed with it diminishes the incompatibility factor.

Oh, and I have used Liquin and Galkyd Lite for experimental purposes in the past, Galkyd Lite most recently. I think they are atrocious, actually, and I could not afford to use them for my work if they were given to me free of charge.

Just my opinions, of course.:)

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

soultosoul

You might want to give Graham’s walnut alkyd a try. I haven’t used liquin but I had another brand’s version of it. Didn’t care for the gel texture of it and it seemed to be sticky when it dried – to me anyway. The walnut alkyd doesn’t have this problem. It dries fast and feels smooth. In fact I felt it dried too fast and lately have been trying combinations of it and walnut oil. 3:1 alkyd/oil seems to work best for me. Keep in mind that I just recently started painting again so my skill level, and therefore evaluations, are limited.

Long term, I’m sure I’ll drift more toward Bill Martin’s point of view and cut out the alkyd altogether. Right now impatience is winning. I’m reading everything I can about painting and waiting 3 days to see if something worked is excruciating so speeding up the process was needed.

-Michael

Before I sink into the big sleep, I want to hear, I want to hear, the scream of the butterfly. "When the Music's Over." The Doors.
                        C & C always welcome

lovin art

I agree with William here … hes right if your going to use Liquin then use it as its ment to be used …. or the results might not be that great… I use to think this stuff was great but now I dont use it , its not needed at all if your using good quality paints……

fxoflight

Before I realized how much I prefer using Linseed oil only when I work, I experimented with Liquin on some test surfaces. I thought I’d like the first layer to dry fast so I could get to the next stage quicker. Well, for me this test helped to see I like working wet on wet more than wet on dry, so I put the bottle of Liquin away in storage. It’s been sitting there for a year or so, and it hardens in the bottle and discolours a lot. I also noticed a strong smell, granted you have to put your nose fairly close to notice it.

My own conclusion is that anything that has a ugly discolouring and/or bad smell stays out of my work flow. I’ve found that you can get a lot of progress done wet on wet and so anything that speeds up the drying time goes against the strength of that particular painting technique, and if you want to go wet on dry it’s not a bad idea to let it sit up and dry for a few days or more anyway and work on something else to keep your eyes fresh. Of course, everyone has different working methods and I’m sure there’s lots of fine work being done with Liquin, but I thought I’d just share my experiment results and overall thoughts on whether or not I find a alkyd beneficial or not.

lovin art

Before I realized how much I prefer using Linseed oil only when I work, I experimented with Liquin on some test surfaces. I thought I’d like the first layer to dry fast so I could get to the next stage quicker. Well, for me this test helped to see I like working wet on wet more than wet on dry, so I put the bottle of Liquin away in storage. It’s been sitting there for a year or so, and it hardens in the bottle and discolours a lot. I also noticed a strong smell, granted you have to put your nose fairly close to notice it.

My own conclusion is that anything that has a ugly discolouring and/or bad smell stays out of my work flow. I’ve found that you can get a lot of progress done wet on wet and so anything that speeds up the drying time goes against the strength of that particular painting technique, and if you want to go wet on dry it’s not a bad idea to let it sit up and dry for a few days or more anyway and work on something else to keep your eyes fresh. Of course, everyone has different working methods and I’m sure there’s lots of fine work being done with Liquin, but I thought I’d just share my experiment results and overall thoughts on whether or not I find a alkyd beneficial or not.

well written FOXFLIGHT,:D I tend to paint mostly wet on wet and have no probs without it! it is my prefered method of painting … I owe that to one of my teachers at school , when it came time to paint he saw my dreaded Liquin , I was useing the Winsor n Newton brand , he looked at it in disgust and said get rid of that stuff its crap, you wont be using it here … he was so right , and really it all comes down to learning how much paint you have on your brush if I want to paint thin I have less paint on there if I want huge thick strokes I use more , its that simple , and way cheaper what you save on liquin you can buy more good paint with….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
                                  • The topic ‘Liquin+linseed oil’ is closed to new replies.