Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics What do you use to SKETCH your design on Canvas before painting???

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    gatorcross

I’ve always done things the same way … I use a basic 3H or 4H pencil to sketch my design on canvas, then spray fixative over it; And painting over it with acrylics (I mostly use soft bodied acrylics). However, I have seen videos of other artists using what looks like SHARPIES or markers (which i would prefer) to sketch their design. I tried this, but the Sharpie marking shows through the acrylic paint.

So, what do you use or can I use to avoild spraying fixative? I don’t paint on very thick so even my pencil marks sometimes show through without fixative.

Your method, tools and all thoughts would be welcome. i would love to read all your entries.

Thank you

OkeeKat

Hi, I use plaine mechanical pencil 0.7 or 0.9 to sketch first then spray fixative on it, paint acrylics with thinned with water Liquitex heavy body paints, usualy the underpainting is very thin to see the pencil lines thru and then work up layers of paint, My lines never show through.
            Fee free to view any of my posted paintings, my wip photos show how the paint covers in different layers.
            I do know some who do use sharpies, Like Roger Evans painting done here called “waiting on coffee” you can search the threads for that one.. its awesome.
            Good luck

~*~Kathie[/COLOR]~*~
            Fine Art by Papasso ~ "Herd of Cows" Paintings ~ [/B][/I][/COLOR]MyDeviantArt ~ Facebook

Foxyheart2002

I use soft graphite pencils or graphite paper. I’ve heard bad things about sharpies, but Roger uses them all the time and says there is no problem. I guess only time will tell. Perhaps he is using a different brand than those who have problems.

[FONT="Arial"][FONT="Arial Black"]Sue Kroll, Signature Member ISSA, associate member WAOW and AWA........ Sue's Art .....Musings of a Scratchboard Newbie
                I always welcome C & C. Even if I have finished it and applied fixative, I can always apply your thoughts to the next one.[/font]

Guide

You may want to consider a Copic refillable marker with acrylic ink. I have used refillable markers for years but recently have not been able to find the brand I like so I have picked up several Copic refillable markers and giving those a try. I have not reached much of a conclusion yet but will be using them over the next few months to see what happens.

Sharpies sometimes bleed through the paint in time. Some folks don’t have issues while others seem to have major issues. You can also use Seral graphite paper as a transfer medium. Seal like you would graphite pencil.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

gatorcross

Wow, great answers and ideas (I welcome more if you would like to add to this thread).

So, I have read on other posts/Google search that oil-based Sharpies usually do show through over time (bleed out). But, would you think the newer Water-Based Sharpies (acid free) would be the answer?

Or, to expand on Idylbrush’s Copic marker suggestion, how about innexpensive Decocolor (or their like) Acrylic markers? (http://www.dickblick.com/products/decocolor-acrylic-paint-markers/) … would these be worth testing? Full-proof?

I’m a pretty good animator/free-hand artist … So using a marker to sketch my designs out woyuld feel very comfortable for me. I also hate using fixative so the thought oif being able to sketch my design with a nice fluid marker then paint over it would be wonderful.

Awaiting your great ideas and experienced input. Thank you in advance.

I use a watercolour pencil. It’s great for the sketch and just disappears into the acrylic paint.

Chammi
                        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Guide

“Or, to expand on Idylbrush’s Copic marker suggestion, how about innexpensive Decocolor (or their like) Acrylic markers? (http://www.dickblick.com/products/de…paint-markers/) … would these be worth testing? Full-proof?”

If you read the note it is not recommended to use these markers with acrylic paints. It might be experimental at best.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                            The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                            "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                            "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

IanArt

I don’t like my drawing to show through so I will use charcoal a lot of the time. Graphite is oil based I believe that is why it takes longer to cover it up. The charcoal just disappears hen you introduce the water or paint. It works nice when dealing with dark colours because it will mix with the paint. This usually is not a problem in the underpaint stage.

Ian

saaz hop

I’m also a charcoal user. A light rough sketch, then brush away all but a faint image.

Patrick

Aires

I like light lt blue or lt sienna water color pencils as they simply disappear into the paint. I have also resorted to pastal color soft pastel sticks as it is so easy to wipe off and change with the touch of a damp cloth. They do dust off if applied heavily but a few good smacks against a solid object causes the excess to fall away, still leaving enough of the sketch to follow.

Kathrin G.

I use water-soluble colour pencil or pastel pencil. That way I can pick the colour to show up on whatever background I have in place. It stays for long enough to get the underpainting in place yet disappears as soon as I want it gone.

My website

"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

oramasha

I use water-soluble colour pencil or pastel pencil. That way I can pick the colour to show up on whatever background I have in place. It stays for long enough to get the underpainting in place yet disappears as soon as I want it gone.

I do the same thing.

Old_hobbyest

I never seem to have enough time for painting let alone doing extensive preliminary drawings beforehand. I usually spend a minute or so sketching out my subject with some paint on a little brush before I start blocking with the darks. This approach seems to work for my Thursday nite figure study session and for my plein air efforts. Its also the way Roger Bensemer paints. But, keep in mind, I’m just an amateur hobbyist who has never had formal art training.

Gypsa

white charcoal or ‘chalk pencil’

cpt.torpor

On canvas or wood I almost always use a Sharpie or a blue ball point pen. In my experience, the Sharpie bleed through is hit or miss…sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t. When working on one of my laptop monitor pieces or anything else that starts with a base of clear coat, I simply place the paper with the design onto the substrate and go over the lines with a Bic pen and firm pressure. I do this before the clear has fully cured so that it is soft enough to be etched.

I like Sharpies, I paint on trash.

Google+

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘What do you use to SKETCH your design on Canvas before painting???’ is closed to new replies.