WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Garden of Memories of WC Members
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 09:46 AM
A WC! Legend
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Re: Sad news......

Really sad about Maggie. I knew her a bit from the internet, and from her wonderful support of the Pastel Guild of Europe, when we got started. She gave very good advice on how to start a society. Her first book is one I still recommend as the best for beginners, it is very clear and practical.

She did so much for other people, helped so many.

Charlie's Site/Blog
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast
Maryland, USA

Hails from India

I took her workshop in November, just a few months ago. I was apprehensive about learning from a master especially now when I am so rusty but Maggie was amazingly supportive and encouraging! She and Bill made those 3 days so very memorable. I am sad and heartbroken. My prayers and heartfelt sympathies to Bill and her family. RIP Maggie.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

I thought I should let you all know that this thread will remain in memoriam to Maggie. I shall move it to our WetCanvas Memorial Garden forum in about a week, so it will always be accessible to you and her family. If you have any favourite pictures they can be added to this thread. One of my favourites
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images

Last edited by *Deirdre* : 04-07-2013 at 05:21 AM.
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 06:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Maggie was my friend. I'm aching to think she's gone...

The last time I saw her we met for coffee. Talked over old times, discussed what was coming, chatted about children and grandchildren, promised to see each other soon. I talked to her on the phone a couple times since. You know someone is a friend when you have her phone number memorized.

So much history... my one claim to fame is she started painting in pastel in my classes. She helped me get a workbook together when all I had were longhand notes and lots of scribbled illustrations. I have no idea how she translated that all into writing. Such a help to me!

She taught me about computers. I'd scoot down to her house and do some typing, learning how to make the thing behave. She and Bill would fly as I dabbled. I learned a lot. I still have a pica pole she insisted I needed. I still use it daily (more as a ruler now.)

She and Janie (Hutchinson) were so excited when they came up with the idea to start the magazine. They wanted me involved--so sweet of them! What did I have to offer? Not much, but they included me. I will never forget the day we three held a party at Maggie's house with champagne and chocolate truffles, as we held our new baby magazine for the first time! I still have a few copies... Such memories. It was 15 years ago now, but it seems like yesterday. And then to be "sold" with the magazine when F+W bought it--Maggie's understatement of the decade, "I think you'll be pleased." I still write for them...

We helped them move twice. So hot, that first move. Then I remember the day they moved to their new house... My son, a young teen, was so impressed to be given what was to him a huge wad of cash for helping. So generous!

Just a few years ago I asked her to come and guest teach at one of my classes. We had such fun! It was like old times to be back in the classroom together again. But she was starting to travel not only nationally but internationally to teach workshops, alongside Bill, so she was a busy lady.

And then there was IAPS. She and Bill and I went to the first one together up in Denver, staying with some of their family, getting gussied up for the banquet. I remember it poured down rain, so we slipped out early to get home. At the third IAPS the magazine was in the works, hush-hush, but coming. We were like excited conspirators! And when she took over as President of IAPS it didn't even surprise me. Of course--the perfect one to lead it.

We shared a love of dogs. They had a Golden, we a black Lab-ish, Blaze and George...they splashed in rivers and chased sticks, rolled in the snow, got old together, slept by the wood stove. Funny, I knew the dogs were aging, but it didn't seem like we were.

I remember Maggie's potato salad. So good--made with yogurt instead of mayo. We sat on the patio in the mountains in the shade, kid and dogs rolling on the grass. Talking art, shows, galleries.

These tears are hard but good. Thanks for letting me remember her and all the history we had. My heart goes out to Bill, to Maggie's kids and grands, and her sisters. I think you can see that Maggie has been such a blessing in my life... I'm going to miss her.
Gouache Blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 06:31 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Even WC's archive thread from 2004 hold silly fun memories! Some of the old timers will recall these days.
Gouache Blog
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 07:39 PM
Mt Dandenong Ranges

Hails from Australia

Sad news indeed.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Deborah your post had me in tears....such a lot of memories, I know she'll be in your heart for a long time.

I only knew of her through her books which are on my shelf and through this video which I know many will have seen but I thought it deserved a place here too.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2013, 04:54 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

I did not know she had passed. How sad, what a tragic loss for her family and the world of pastellists. What a legacy she has left, how wonderful for her to look down and know this.

RIP Maggie. We never met, we just chatted occasionally. I knew you were a gift to the world tho.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 AM
South Africa, Randburg

Hails from South Africa

I so wish that I could say that I have achieved her skill levels with pastels, but she certainly has been a great inspiration to me and I am sure that I have learnt a lot from her even though I haven't been so fortunate to attend one of her workshops.

I haven't written a blog entry in ages, but I have written an In Memoriam for her. Hope it honors her as I intended...

R.I.P. Maggie...
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Magda, I'm so glad you linked the interview with Maggie. That's a treasure.
Gouache Blog
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2013, 04:33 AM
Angus, Scotland

Hails from Scotland

Sad news. Her book Sunlight and Shadows has been an inspiration to me.

Lesley
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM

how sad...of course, I didn't know her at all, but when I started using pastels, I got one of her books and much of the material I read - online, in magazines - to educated myself was written by her...
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Veteran Member
Southern California

Hails from United States

I was so saddened to hear that Maggie had lost her battle after a brave and hard fought fight. I already miss her terribly and find it hard to believe she is no longer with us. Keep painting, Maggie, in your new home. Your friendship meant the world to me.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2013, 02:34 AM
Enthusiast
Alaska

Hails from United States

Rip Maggie, you will be missed!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:14 PM
Lord of the Arts
Saint John N.B. Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Sad news of Maggie Price

Reading all these beautiful tributes to Maggie has me in tears. I never had the good fortune to meet her, but I did watch all her videos such a talented lady. R. I. P.