Home Forums Explore Media Colored Pencil Derwent Artists and Derwent Procolour: they can work together?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gaiden

HI folks!

Derwent Artists are my favourite pencils but they have a big defect: lighter tones are too hard and easily scratch paper surface.

So I thought to try some Derwent Procolour pencils for lighter tones replacement

Did you use both these pencils together in the same piece of art? they blend fine each other?

Thank you for sharing!

Gaiden
            Lizzy57

Hi there! I find that all the Derwent’s work and play well together, each line has its own ‘feel’ but the procolour and color soft, as well as the new lightfast are the smoothest. I still love some of the colors in the artist and studio one too, so I use them all, in combination with prismas, polychromes and luminance! Hope this helps!:clap:

Lizzy57

Hi again! I clicked your link to Patreon but it was not operational? I also checked out your website but I don’t see an option of reading it in English? thanks for letting me know if I can view your great work!

honesty

I love my Coloursoft pencils but am thinking of getting some Artists ones precisely because they are much harder for detail work.

Gaiden

Hi again! I clicked your link to Patreon but it was not operational? I also checked out your website but I don’t see an option of reading it in English? thanks for letting me know if I can view your great work!

opss, my patreon page is inactive (no patreons wanted me :( )
                            and yes, my web site is just in Italian language

ManedWolf

Quoting myself from Post #304 of the Pencils You May Have Never Seen thread:

Some Procolours are just as awfully fugitive as Artists and Studios. Apparently they never learn – or is it really possible that better pigments would be too expensive? After all Derwent renovated its Watercolour range some years ago and some Watercolour hues are much more lightfast than Artists and Studios. To be honest, the entire Procolour brand seems a little superfluous – they are not that much different from Artists and Studio.

And KaySilver:

I totally agree, the whole Procolour range does seem pointless – they are so similar to the Artists range. I’ve got the same colours (like Heather and Soft Violet) in both Procolour and Arists, and if you use one then the other, it’s very difficult to tell which is which. They feel and look the same.

So they go wery well together but Procolours really aren’t much softer.

Heikki

Ambergris

I have recently seen several posts referring to Procolours as being intended for illustration. This would explain the utter lack of interest in lightfastness.

KaySilver

Hi Gaiden

The Procolours are very similar to the Artists but at a push I guess they are very slightly softer and smoother, so it might be worth trying some replacements for the hardest scratchiest Artist colours.

I’ve done it myself (for the same reason) – I replaced the few Artists colours which I use (eg Heather, Soft Violet, Light Moss) with Procolours, and I think they are very slightly smoother to use, but I don’t use those colours often enough to notice the difference (my main preferred set is FC Polychromos, so the Derwents are just add-on colours which aren’t in the Polychromos range).

I’ve definitely used Procolours and Artists together (and with Polychromos, all in the same picture) and they all work fine together.

Gaiden

ok, I’m in order to buy a selection of light tones and Burnt Umber and Indigo (my favourited for shadowing).. let’s try them!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.