WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:24 AM

C&C for a beginner

This is my first oil painting better late than never, right? I wanted to focus on the sky and rolling hills because that's what I see at the top of the mountain. I'm stuck on the foreground. I put the pink flowers to highlight the brightness of the sky, but I'm stuck. Rhododendrons? I welcome your c&c because I want to learn. Scratching the surface. Thank you! -k
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: C&C for a beginner

Very, very nice. Obviously you have a lot of potential as an oil painter. The sky and hills are just fine. Because you did not use a bright pink, but a toned down pink in the foreground, they are not obtrusive. Keep it up and enjoy painting.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Brooklyn, NY

Hails from United States

You've shown a lot of depth in your painting. The first obligation of any painting is to appear 3 dimensional. Very good!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Thank you. I've learned so much from this first painting. Most of all, patience.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 10:30 AM
Lord of the Arts
In the Rocky Mountains

Hails from United States

First one? Well done!

There is a fine line between impressionism and poor realism.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 01:26 PM

Great job, I love the atmosphere in this painting. I agree that the flowers are not too bright, but feel maybe there could be less of them. That pink mass does demand a bit of attention. Other general compositional thoughts. You do a good job cooling off the hills as they recede into the distance. Maybe start that a bit toward the mid ground? And while you didnít put the sun dead center, itís pretty close. Nice to have the focal point off the center of the composition. These are not criticisms, I really like this painting! Keep going.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardo
Great job, I love the atmosphere in this painting. I agree that the flowers are not too bright, but feel maybe there could be less of them. That pink mass does demand a bit of attention. Other general compositional thoughts. You do a good job cooling off the hills as they recede into the distance. Maybe start that a bit toward the mid ground? And while you didnít put the sun dead center, itís pretty close. Nice to have the focal point off the center of the composition. These are not criticisms, I really like this painting! Keep going.

Thank you so much! Your comments are spot on.