WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:49 AM
Lord of the Arts

Re: A simple assertion: going BEYOND photorealism

This Kirchner is at the Tyssen as well. Fantastic simplicity!
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:00 AM
Lord of the Arts

Russian artists have never been considered top line. With few exceptions: Kandinsky, Malevich, Larionov, Goncharova.
Here is a piece by Mikhail Vrubel that goes “beyond”, at least for me:
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:01 AM
Lord of the Arts

#49   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:03 AM
Lord of the Arts

Maybe this is a little better (or worse...):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Demon_Seated
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:14 AM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

You misunderstand me: I love your work and Expressionism. I refer to your word BEYOND. As if moving FORWARD thru time to another style.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:15 AM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Re: A simple assertion: going BEYOND photorealism

I did my "honors thesis" in Art History in part on German Expressionist print. Heckel was a good painter...

His portrait of Fränzi as a Weimar Lolita is especially unsettling...

I've always been more enamored of his woodblock prints...

I saw a good number of Heckel's prints as part of an exhibition of works from the Robert Gore Rifkind Center for German Expressionist Studies in Los Angeles that had traveled to Sait Louis.

#52   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
Very cool Musket! It's nice when our work gets a home/collected somewhere where you know it's appreciated, well known or not. However, sometimes collectors like these can make an artist feel recognized. I can understand.

Do you have any pictures of those sculptures?

Thanks Arty.

The Martins, as mentioned in the article, just collected what they liked.

Two can be found here. I consider the gilded hawk head to be the best thing I ever did.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1445841

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=314648

This one I never posted before. The bird is an African pygmy kingfisher, life size, around 3 1/2" from crown to tip of the tail. The column is kingwood; the base ebony. The bird sits upon a piece of desert ironwood collected by my late father. Like all pygmy and dwarf kingfishers, these birds live in semi-arid country and do not fish.

We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman

Last edited by musket : 07-20-2019 at 09:32 AM.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:30 AM
A WC! Legend
A large urban setting in the Mid-West

Hails from United States

You misunderstand me: I love your work and Expressionism. I refer to your word BEYOND. As if moving FORWARD thru time to another style.

WC member, Chris (caldwell.brobeck) writes in one of his online sites:

"My primary influences have been the humanist artists from the Reformation and the Northern Renaissance through to the Expressionism of the early 20th Century; I find the general dehumanization of art from the First World War on to be uninteresting and somewhat depressing (although there are certainly exceptions)."

I might have written much the same... although I would name artists of the Italian Renaissance through the mid-20th century (WWII as opposed to WWI)) as well as the art of Persia and Japan as my primary influences.

What I find intriguing about the art of today (Post-Modernism?) is the fact that there is no single dominant direction or style. Rather, we have is artists picking and choosing from across the scope and span of art history as if from a smorgasbord. Building upon Pop Art or Abstract Expressionism or even Conceptual Art is no more or less Reactionary than building upon first-generation Expressionism, Impressionism, or even the Renaissance or ancient Greeks.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:38 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlukesguild

WC member, Chris (caldwell.brobeck) writes in one of his online sites:

"My primary influences have been the humanist artists from the Reformation and the Northern Renaissance through to the Expressionism of the early 20th Century; I find the general dehumanization of art from the First World War on to be uninteresting and somewhat depressing (although there are certainly exceptions)."

I might have written much the same... although I would name artists of the Italian Renaissance through the mid-20th century (WWII as opposed to WWI)) as well as the art of Persia and Japan as my primary influences.

What I find intriguing about the art of today (Post-Modernism?) is the fact that there is no single dominant direction or style. Rather, we have is artists picking and choosing from across the scope and span of art history as if from a smorgasbord. Building upon Pop Art or Abstract Expressionism or even Conceptual Art is no more or less Reactionary than building upon first-generation Expressionism, Impressionism, or even the Renaissance or ancient Greeks.

Well said, St. Luke. I’m totally with you on this.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

A link to the Guennol Lioness.

http://artdaily.com/news/22531/The-G...n#.XTMbAUd7n4Y
We cannot define anything precisely. If we attempt to, we get into that paralysis of thought that comes to philosophers, who sit opposite each other, one saying to the other, "You don't know what you are talking about!". The second one says, "What do you mean by know? What do you mean by talking? What do you mean by you? ~R.P. Feynman
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 09:51 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

After I had done a bunch of realistic birds, I started asking myself if this was really any different from building model kits of sailing ships, aircraft, and Big Daddy Roth hot rods in my bedroom when I was a kid.

So I moved away from strict realism into the gilded pieces. Also into realistic hummingbirds combined with sem-realistic elements, for example, opal eggs (I learned lapidary around a year before I started carving).

The work of the best contemporary bird carvers is so good that short of making them get up and fly, it can't get any better. It's an artistic dead end. I was never in that league so I concentrated on the expressive possibilities. Pygmy kingfishers really do look that droll.

Last edited by musket : 07-20-2019 at 09:54 AM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 10:28 AM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

I had an extremely progressive and hip art teacher in high school. Ab-Ex was still big at the time so I did a bunch of that, non-representational, and some Expressionistic portraits, which unfortunately got lost. The Ab-Ex stuff I sold-- got $150 for one of them, a fair chunk of change in 1966. Big canvas, I threw paint at it and all. Lots of fun, but I don't think I could do anything like that anymore. I was only seventeen and had the bravado and lack of self consciousness of a teenager. Today I would be all agonized about it.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 02:35 PM
Lord of the Arts
L.I., New York

Hails from United States

Impressive work musket. Must take a lot of time and patience, and an eye. Each of those feathers? Wow.

Good discussion here. Beyond my pay grade, but I'll add my two cents anyway

As far as realism, I like some, like Daniel Sprick and David Lenz, and musket's work, but others like the hyper-real wedding photo stuff that hairy posted the link to above, no. Does nothing for me.

I do think that realism is somewhat constraining. Going beyond those boundaries frees up the artist to be more creative. For example, hairy's works are far more interesting to me than typical realistic portraiture.

That being said, I'm working on a realistic landscape. Luckily I'm not good enough to make it too real looking.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 06:26 PM
A WC! Legend
Grafton, NH

Hails from United States

Thanks, john. As mentioned, towards the end, before I got my lovely incurable auto-immune disease, I started getting away from all the detail. You do need an eye for that, but if you have one, steady hands and a lot of patience, the details are really just a matter of practicing your ass off. It's the expression that counted most for me.
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Beautiful work Musket. You amaze me. It's so meticulous and really spectacular. No wonder you have caught the eye of collectors all over.