WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#301   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2019, 06:56 PM
Lubbock, TX

Hails from United States
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Trying the Burnt Sienna and Ultramarine exercise from the Will Kemp YouTube channel.

*sorry for the shadow.
  #302   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2019, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

This will all make sense soon-ish (depending on how far my meager talent can bring it), but one day I will have the stones to just leave the canvas in this state.

24"x30"

#303   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by sykirobme
This will all make sense soon-ish (depending on how far my meager talent can bring it), but one day I will have the stones to just leave the canvas in this state.

Waterfall?

-Helen Keller
  #304   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Very close! It's a river rapid from a hiking excursion last year. This is just a very rough block-in using roughly complementary colors and a reverse value scheme, think like a photo negative.
  #305   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Very close! It's a river rapid from a hiking excursion last year. This is just a very rough block-in using roughly complementary colors and a reverse value scheme, think like a photo negative.

Ken, that's totally what I meant but for some reason I always call that kind of agitation in the water a "water fall". Sometimes one follows the other. But it is very obvious that you are depicting fast moving turbulent water. It would be a "take my kayak out of the water" type of place.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #306   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Technically it's a waterfall...I mean, water is going from a (slightly) higher place to a lower place!

This one has filled me with all kinds of trepidation; I meant to start on it immediately after my last piece, but life and a bit of non-painting-related depression got in the way. I haven't really painted much beyond my really bad outdoor sketches in a month...though I've been working on my figure drawing daily. But it makes me happy that you ID'd what I'm doing right off...so far I'm on the right track! :-)
  #307   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Technically it's a waterfall...I mean, water is going from a (slightly) higher place to a lower place!

This one has filled me with all kinds of trepidation; I meant to start on it immediately after my last piece, but life and a bit of non-painting-related depression got in the way. I haven't really painted much beyond my really bad outdoor sketches in a month...though I've been working on my figure drawing daily. But it makes me happy that you ID'd what I'm doing right off...so far I'm on the right track! :-)

When I came back to WC this late winter I was in a bad place mood wise. I felt very isolated and alone so I took a chance after reaching out to Maureen. For me, it's been healing to sit and contemplate all the wonderful things I can bring to canvas. I may not be very proficient at the skill yet but watching myself improve really makes my day.

I have considered doing a small plein aire but I know it would be too difficult for me to carry all my needs. An artist I watch on YouTube made the observation that doing one's art out in the world for all to see takes courage! I'd been mortified if anyone stopped to look at what I'm doing even if I were another VanGogh. I think it's wonderful that you have that kind of courage to go out and be human!

I'll think of you the next time I see a rapid waterfall!
Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #308   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Micro-plein aire:

Since I carry a ton of gear (water, extra clothing, first aid, food, cameras, lenses, etc.) already when I'm hiking, I was leery of investing in a pochade box or French easel-type setup...another 10 pounds of equipment, not to mention the additional bulk, would kill me, especially on the mountain trails I love so much.

I recently started subscribing to the Plein Aire magazine e-newsletter and they ran a short article about constructing a "micro pochade" kit the author uses on her mountain biking trips through the desert. It's worked for me so far doing small (4"x5") sketches, which are all I normally have time for.

Pop the tray out of a CD case; the empty case lid will be your easel, and the other side your mixing tray. I use Fun-Tac to secure a canvas board to the lid. To store paint, I purchased a set of disposable contact lens cases; five of those work for me (Alizarin Crimson/Cad Red Deep; Cad Yellow Lt/Cad Yellow Deep; Pthalo Blue/Ultramarine; Cad Orange/Ivory Black; and a double helping of Titanium White). I also bring a small tin for water (used pomade tin), a 2 oz spray atomizer, about 10 or so paper towels, and pack my brushes and a palette knife into a ziplock.

Voila...it weighs next to nothing and occupies little space in my pack. Since I paint slowly the small canvas size is perfect. It is way more difficult to paint in nature than I imagined, but I'm slowly getting the hang of it; last week's picture almost looks competent, lol.

I've found that I need to gesso the crap out of my panels...on large canvasses I like using the texture as an element of my painting, but it's far too noticeable on something so small, and inhibits fine strokes. I put down four layers of gesso, toning the last with a squeeze of unbleached titanium; the smoother surface makes things so much easier.

EDIT: Oh, and on the being in public bit. My first outdoor painting was done on Mount Greylock in MA, which is very busy with people. I was afraid at first that people would want to look over my shoulder but, truth be told, they didn't spare me a second glance. Very welcome...I've since encountered hikers on other trails while I've been painting, but everyone has been super nice and complimentary, even when I know I'm doing badly. Give it a try, you might be surprised!

Last edited by sykirobme : 06-05-2019 at 01:41 PM.
  #309   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 03:44 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I hear ya Ken but I'm already disabled so I carry a bit just to get ME around. Then if I'm going more than 15 minutes from my home without another adult I have my service dog along. So he also needs loads of water. My last dog was bigger and taller and could carry his own but now I have a short guy who is wonderful but he couldn't carry more than a few ounces of water and he overheats fast!

Then, I live in Down Town Philly- up the street from the Liberty Bell and Independence hall, closer to the Museum of Art so we always have tourists expecting everything is a free show done by the locals to entertain the tourists. I'll friendly and I'll chat up a storm about history or dog issues but I'm a social phobe when it comes to "people looking at me". It's a huge reason for me stopping showing horses. Suddenly I became very aware all eyes were one me!

We often have art socials where people will get together and paint by the water but I cannot participate. I had a really difficult time in the one class I took of mixed media. (Although right now the thought just occurred to me of seeing my dog running down the parkway dragging my portable easel and water splashing! I guess that would get eyes off me!)

I used to live in New England, in RI, MA and then Maine. Somehow it's different. People don't make eye contact or get into another's space. Since moving however I've been very aware of different cultures around the country. Here in Philly people would pull up a chair and watch and I'd melt! But I'll work on it!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #310   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:14 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Oh, I had no idea you were disabled, Sheila. I apologize!

I have anxiety about being noticed by people, too, yet I love performing music onstage (only aspect of being in bands I miss)...I do stage clothes, the whole deal. But yeah, when someone notices me doing something private, like drawing or writing in my journal, I suddenly become as awkward as I was in high school.

Conceptions of personal space definitely vary from region to region. My ex-wife's family is from Long Island, and visiting them there it would feel like a completely different world. I grew up in a tourist spot (Saratoga Springs, NY), but we'd just get rude out-of-towners there for betting on the ponies...I can well imagine how it is different in a place where the emphasis is more on history and the like (I love visiting battlefields and am sort of cringing now wondering if I've been that sort of "entertain me!" person in the past, haha).
  #311   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

No worries! Just had a similar conversation on the bus because it's not obvious I'm disabled until I pull out my "disabled pass" for the bus. The part that people don't understand is how much my dog can do for me when he's not leading me or carrying something. He can alert me if I'm going to have migraine several hours before the symptoms hit and I can take medication and be home before I get really ill. Also he'll leave me and alert another person and try to bring them back to me if I fall or go unconscious. Or, and this is his best trick, he can let the neighborhood know if he needs his belly rubbed!

I think it's up to the person to let others know if they are uncomfortable being watched but then I'm sometimes uncomfortable even doing that. As I mentioned I was just on the city bus. We went by (very slowly) several art installations that I just never look at anymore but there was a guy just standing there seemingly frozen. Someone else told me he was "high" on something and people high on that substance can stand motionless for hours. I considered painting him for our "Movement" for the monthly challenge! Nothing says movement like a person sleeping while standing upright!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #312   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:19 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia

Sykirobme ( do you mind if I refer to you as Ken, )

I see a nice beginning of a landscape. I see by your colours chosen that it has water. The strokes depict movement.

Happy painting, I am sure it will be wonderful just like your last one turned out great.
  #313   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merriweather
Sykirobme ( do you mind if I refer to you as Ken, )

I see a nice beginning of a landscape. I see by your colours chosen that it has water. The strokes depict movement.

Happy painting, I am sure it will be wonderful just like your last one turned out great.

Thanks, Merriweather! And absolutely, please call me Ken. Sykirobme is a nonsense word (well...not totally nonsense, it illustrates how we perceive signs in context taken from an obscure passage of an obscure novel (Dhalgren by Samuel R. Delany, it changed my life), something that's guaranteed to not have been taken on any message board or social media I use, haha.
  #314   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-11-2019, 03:48 PM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Still working on my river rapids painting. I felt bad spamming this thread with every step of my last two paintings, so I'm going to hold off until I'm done. Using a new color palette now and it's working out nicely, though it's taken some getting used to as it has more transparent colors than my usual.

My rattie painting fizzled out as I was getting too uptight with it and then, a day or two after I got home from Florida a couple weeks ago, little Tim died in my arms. I bonded closer to him than with any animal I've ever had, and it's still hitting me hard...I will start a new one and finish it as a tribute to my best friend soon.
  #315   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:50 PM

Learning to use acrylic by doing a Will Kemp tutorial painting.

Last edited by royl : 06-12-2019 at 12:59 PM.