WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2019, 03:10 PM

Isolation coat question

Hi all!
After years of painting and sealing my acrylic paintings with polymer varnish, I've recently been thinking about adding an isolation coat to my acrylic paintings before i seal them. I've been reading up on the process and theres one question I can't find the answer to... If I've already applied acrylic polymer varnish as a topcoat, can I then add an isolation coat with another layer of varnish on top of that? My thinking being that very top coat could be removed if needed for cleaning in the future, with the layers underneath protected with an isolation coat. Thanks!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2019, 08:48 PM
Lord of the Arts

Re: Isolation coat question

It depends on what type of polymer varnish you used. If it is permanent, then you already have an isolation layer - simply apply a removable varnish on top of that if desired, or leave it as is. If you add a removable varnish on top, then you will then have a protective varnish than can be cleaned periodically using materials that won't remove or soften it. If it becomes excessively contaminated you can remove it and re-apply a fresh layer.

If it isn't permanent, you should not apply an isolation layer on top of it. Remove it first per the instructions for the product you used - Golden's polymer varnish for example is removed with a mild ammonia solution - then let it dry fully. When dried apply the transparent, permanent isolation layer of your choosing. Then if desired when that has fully dried, you can apply a removable varnish of some type. I prefer Gamblin Gamvar to acrylic based varnishes on acrylic paintings, but I have had success with the Golden removable varnish as well.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 05:51 PM

I use a golden removeable gloss polymer varnish. Wont removing it take some of the paint off?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaddeus83
I use a golden removeable gloss polymer varnish. Wont removing it take some of the paint off?

It is made to be removable from an acrylic painting. The paint should not come off if you use a soft cloth and let the mild ammonia cleaner saturate the varnish before you start to rub it off. I have even used Windex with Ammonia to successfully remove that varnish. Read the instructions, test it in a small area first or test it on a completely different test piece if you are worried about it.

If your painting still looks good, there really isn't a need to remove the varnish, unless you want to paint some more on top of the original painting.

I am assuming your painting is on some kind of sealed surface like a gesso covered canvas or panel. If it is on paper or cardboard, particularly if any of the support is exposed, you may run into problems