WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland
Derwent Lightfast

It seems like Derwent are introducing new product

https://www.instagram.com/p/BecsPsSH...derwentpencils
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 07:28 AM
A Local Legend
The Free State, Maryland, East Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Derwent Lightfast

So what does that mean... what they have out now is the 'sure to fade' product?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 03:02 PM
A Local Legend
Toronto

Hails from Canada

Well... I can get them in Toronto in open stock at Curry's...!

Boldness commands the eye, but nuances hold it there. Margot Schulzke
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 PM

Hails from Hungary

When do you think are we going to have a colour chart?
"Beware the autumn people. For these beings, fall is the only normal season, the only weather, there be no choice beyond. Where do they come from? The dust. Where do they go? The grave. Does blood stir their veins? No, the night wind."
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 02:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowfields
When do you think are we going to have a colour chart?

Welcome to WC ! Given that this line is supposed to be available in July, we'll probably have to wait a while for it... It's been already confirmed by Derwent on their FB that the largest set will be 72 (as ecpected of them) Tbh, I'm a bit surprised that they opted for introducing do many new products in such a short period of time...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast

Lightfast and oilbased. Now I wonder what the big thing was about Procolour...
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
So what does that mean... what they have out now is the 'sure to fade' product?

Basically, yes! Their lightfast ratings are really poor on the non earth colours. Calling Procolour an artist quality product seemed ridiculous when there were pencils in the range with a Blue Wool rating of 1!

I think they've finally realised that they can only compete with Faber Castell and Caran D'Ache if they address the issue of lightfastness.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I just starting collecting all of the Derwent INktense I can find... I guess I don't worry about lightfastness too much, only one original to go around, the rest are just prints anyway.. made before anything faded.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 10:30 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I wish we still had American Prismacolors... oh well, that and a dollar eight five will buy me a small cup of coffee.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySilver
Basically, yes! Their lightfast ratings are really poor on the non earth colours. Calling Procolour an artist quality product seemed ridiculous when there were pencils in the range with a Blue Wool rating of 1!

I think they've finally realised that they can only compete with Faber Castell and Caran D'Ache if they address the issue of lightfastness.

Correct me if I'm wrong but FC products tend to do rather poorly in most lightfastness tests...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 08:58 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

Derwent was always at least honest about the lightfastness issues in certain colors. They always have them listed per product on the site. So if they do a lightfast range at top price, I'd trust it to be lightfast.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2018, 11:53 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by frida
Well... I can get them in Toronto in open stock at Curry's...!

Are you sure it is the range named Lightfast? They are not supposed to be sold yet. Or is it Procolour?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2018, 01:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanity
Correct me if I'm wrong but FC products tend to do rather poorly in most lightfastness tests...

I don't know about any of their other products, I was really Just talking about FC Polychromos, which is the appropriate comparison for Derwent Procolour or Derwent's other artist quality ranges.

The Blue Wool test is the most accurate and precise lightfastness test currently available, and is administered under museum conditions, so Blue Wool ratings are the most accurate and fair way we currently have to directly compare brands.

Faber Castell Polychromos is FAR superior to Derwent Procolour or Artists on Blue Wool ratings. There are only 2 Polychromos pencils with a Blue Wool rating lower than 5, and NONE with a rating lower than 3. And that's out of 120.

Compare that with Derwent Procolour, which has 20 pencils with a rating lower than 5, including 7 with a rating lower than 3 (and that's out of just 72!) and you can really see the difference.

Are people saying their own tests are turning up different results then? I'd be very interested to see any tests which directly compare and get different results.

Don't get me wrong, I love Derwent. They're a great British company producing high quality pencils (they do some lovely subtle pale colours which FC just don't offer) but until now, lightfastness has definitely not been their strong suit.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2018, 05:20 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySilver

Faber Castell Polychromos is FAR superior to Derwent Procolour or Artists on Blue Wool ratings. There are only 2 Polychromos pencils with a Blue Wool rating lower than 5, and NONE with a rating lower than 3. And that's out of 120.

Compare that with Derwent Procolour, which has 20 pencils with a rating lower than 5, including 7 with a rating lower than 3 (and that's out of just 72!) and you can really see the difference.

Are people saying their own tests are turning up different results then? I'd be very interested to see any tests which directly compare and get different results.

Regarding Procolour, I haven't seen anyone test them yet, so I can't comment on that, however, I can't agree that Coloursofts or Artists are worse than FC Polys. Available data doesn't seem to support that at all.

In theory, yes, the ratings of FC Polychromos are nice but in most tests I've seen online, they do poorly .Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of some of the Derwent products. When it comes to the lead consistency and blending, Polys clearly win. That being said, it's been proven many times before that lf ratings of FC products are not always accurate. In case of Derwent, however, ratings they give seem to be confirmed by most tests I've seen. Given that they released so many product lines over the years, it's very easy to buy enough pencils with good ratings in open stock to have the most of the color spectrum covered and do so for a relatively low price. Of course, now that they will be releasing Signature 2.0 things will be a bit different

http://www.colouredpenciltopics.co.uk used to have several detailed tests posted but either I am unable to locate them, or they were taken down... A shame since they included all 120 colors . From what I remember, polys did very poorly in that test...

http://alisonfurminger.blogspot.com/2007/01/ - another test

https://artdragon86.wordpress.com/20...ds-comparison/ yet another test... worth a read
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2018, 05:22 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Sorry for the double post...

Here's why I called these Signature 2.0 https://www.instagram.com/p/Beh5G7_n...derwentpencils