WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2016, 10:53 AM
Gainesville, FL

Hails from United States
Question Best art programs

What universities or art schools offer PhDs in "figure drawing" or "graphic design" or "sculpture" or "art history"?
What schools offer BFA or better in "studio art"?

I put this in the wrong place! Can the mods move it to the "Student's Dorm"?

Last edited by dlnewhouse : 10-31-2016 at 11:31 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Gainesville, FL

Hails from United States
Re: Best art programs

ceramics George Washington University Foggy Bottom, DC dance California Institute of the Arts Valencia graphic design California Institute of the Arts Valencia cinematics USCw LA, CA drama USCw LA, CA classical guitar USCw LA, CA jazz (electric) guitar USCw LA, CA keyboard USCw LA, CA film Chapman Irvine, CA acoustic guitar Julliard NYC organ Julliard NYC Piano Julliard NYC theater Columbia University NYC multimedia arts Lindenwood University Saint Charles, MO jewelry art Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI weaving and textile Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2016, 03:26 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlnewhouse
ceramics George Washington University Foggy Bottom, DC dance California Institute of the Arts Valencia graphic design California Institute of the Arts Valencia cinematics USCw LA, CA drama USCw LA, CA classical guitar USCw LA, CA jazz (electric) guitar USCw LA, CA keyboard USCw LA, CA film Chapman Irvine, CA acoustic guitar Julliard NYC organ Julliard NYC Piano Julliard NYC theater Columbia University NYC multimedia arts Lindenwood University Saint Charles, MO jewelry art Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI weaving and textile Rhode Island School of Design Providence, RI

I can't agree with you on all of those, but some for sure. The best programs I know for ceramics is at Cal State Long Beach (and cheaper too!), California College of the Art in San Francisco, and the Tyler School at Temple in PA. And yes CalArts too, but it costs the most. CalArts is great for performance art like dance, and music too; Painting, animation, etc. as well. It's considered one of the best schools in the world. I mean, overall, the best/top art programs in the world are probably Yale, RISD and CalArts and UCLA.

MICA is a great school, and has a good sculpture program. And the Pomona Scripps (Claremont) colleges in CA are fantastic - some of my favorite artists have been produced there. They are not well known, but they have an outstanding program. No cookie-cutter artists from there.

Otis in Los Angeles is also good for Fashion and art history, design, painting/drawing, new media.

Art Center in Pasadena, CA is excellent for design, illustration, and graphic design.

RISD is a great all around school for everything but also very expensive.

Syracuse University also an excellent art school. I also like what I see out of Ohio State and Louisiana State.

CUNY Hunter in NY has a good Studio Art program, as well as Columbia, Savanna, and Iowa.

That's al I can think of now. Hope it helps. Read about some of these online.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM
Gainesville, FL

Hails from United States

About USCal's painting and drawing program - do they offer graduate degrees in painting or drawing? It is not clear from their web site.