WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#331   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2019, 09:41 AM
Enthusiast
A 38 sq.meter apartment in Hyvinkää

Hails from Finland
Re: Pencils You May Have Never Seen

The newest generation of Bruynzeel Expression. The fox reminds me of Rien Poortvliet's work.

Heikki
  #332   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

I've never heard of White Nights watercolour pencils even though the Russian watercolours of the same name are rather well-known. The colour range however looks so similar to the Bruynzeel Design Aquarels that it probably is no coincidence and yes, there is a mention that the White Nights are made in China.

B'zeel Design Aquarels are not bad but the hues are paler and the leads harder than in B'zeel Design Colours.

Heikki
  #333   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2019, 11:29 PM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManedWolf
I've never heard of White Nights watercolour pencils even though the Russian watercolours of the same name are rather well-known. The colour range however looks so similar to the Bruynzeel Design Aquarels that it probably is no coincidence and yes, there is a mention that the White Nights are made in China.

B'zeel Design Aquarels are not bad but the hues are paler and the leads harder than in B'zeel Design Colours.

Heikki

new box even to me. and i bet pigmetns are not best possible even supracolor ii/pblo and museum aquarelle has problems even they use many good pigments. very likely is relaated how much pigments are used.
  #334   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 01:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

The Winsor & Newton Studio Collection colour pencils are now available in a tin of 48 colours that costs less than 35 pounds in the UK. A tin this size at this price almost makes sense (even though the greens seem to be too few) - at least for the collector who simply has to have everything.

There is also a Bruynzeel 70th Anniversary Set with 70 different things in it - nothing special but our Finnish friends can get it at Suomalainen Kirjakauppa while visiting the local shopping mall. It costs about 40 euros and in my opinion makes a fine gift for younger colourists.

No money for Derwent Lightfasts until October at least and I'm beginning to think I may survive without - after all I have my Polys and Luminances and Pablos and all the other Derwents.

Heikki
  #335   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 04:01 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

Eureka! Looking more carefully I realized where I have seen the colour range of Winsor & Newton 48 colour set before - two dark and four light and cool greens, soft pink / pastel pink / dusky rose trio etc. In the Bruynzeel Design Colour set of course! If they are indentical they are very soft and certainly not bad even though the blue-green spectrum is limited and there's no light yellow ochre. And in my opinion the tin is more practical and durable than the Bruynzeel cardboard drawer box.

Heikki
  #336   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 05:56 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Good thread -- here's my contribution -- found some Empire Pedigree pencils mixed in with my old (~40 years??) Berol Prismacolors --

... In 1986 Empire merged with Connecticut-based Berol to form Empire/Berol Corp, and Harold continued as chairman of the board until his retirement in 1988. Interestingly, around this time the company produced the Pedigree brand of colored pencils using the same logo, just flipped upside down. In the mid-90s Empire/Berol merged with Sanford Corp., which is today a division of Newell Brands. For more on the Hassenfeld brothers’ influence over the worldwide pencil industry, see: Jerusalem Pencil Co. (https://brandnamepencils.com/product/pedigree-epcon/)

And while I'm here -- Bought this set of Lakelands when I was in England in 1969 -- set still intact!

Clair
  #337   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

This thread has been entertaining and informative as colored pencils and I have become acquainted. The variety of pencils is amazing!

Currently, I use Prismacolors and Crayola and one day hope to try out a few other brands featured in this thread and forum.

The other day, for some reason an ad showed in my email for Louis Vuitton Colored Pencils. The price is $900.00 for 40 pencils in a leather roll up case!

This will not be a future art item in my life!

Mary Flora
  #338   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2019, 09:57 AM
Swanton, Vermont US

Hails from United States

Hi Mary -- re Louis --
Let's see -- would I buy a power saw from a maker of socks??

And I'm looking at Lyra Rembrandt Polycolor Oil-Based Colored Pencils- the colors in their 24 set are really good -- at least for me -- and they don't cost an arm and a leg -- to try out oil-based pencils -- but Social Security does make you have to wait for satisfaction! lol

Clair
  #339   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2019, 10:26 AM
Minnesota

Hails from United States

Hi Clair,

Like your comparison.

The oil based pencils would be fun to try out....and Tombow Irojiten, and Derwent.....and......

And yes! Social Security = delayed gratification!

Mary Flora
  #340   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2019, 05:17 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

The colour range of the Louis Vuitton colour pencil wrap seems to be Caran d'Ache Fancolor in disguise. A usable set of forty of course but perhaps not worth 900 dollars. You'd probably better buy diamonds or antique furniture if you plan to sell them later for some extra bucks.

Heikki
  #341   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:28 AM

Hails from European Union

I found coloured pencils under the brand Uni Posca. I think they are new.
Does anyone have them?
What is the difference to the Mitsubishi uni coloured pencils?
https://www.kreativ.de/UNI-POSCA-Far...et.html?pgNr=1
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!
  #342   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

The Uni Posca is unknown to me too but at least they are expensive

Meanwhile I bought a new set of Staedtler 175. "Made in China" made me think of
Bruynzeel Expression, Maped Color'peps and Marco Raffines but this set is absolutely rubbish -
hard leads and very pale colours. Well, it was very cheap. It's kind of amazing that Staedtler
can make very useful water-solubles but its non-solubles are still quite useless.

Heikki
  #343   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2019, 07:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

I found an interesting hue comparison table about Faber-Castell Polychromos hues, Pantone colours and Munsell colour wheel values.

The Juniper green 165 is shown as a light grayish hue - much lighter than it used to be.
Has it been changed? It would be sensible because the 165 I know is very similar to two other dark greens.

Heikki
  #344   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2019, 05:39 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

Thirty Faber-Castell Albrecht Dürers in a faux leather wrap. The colour range differs from 24 and 36 sets - there seem to be Purple violet 136, Earth green 172 and some dark green. It's not even expensive.

Holy something! Tempera in Helsinki has Talens Van Gogh colour and aquarelle pencils! They aren't expensive either and I think I should...

Heikki
  #345   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2019, 09:45 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Finland

I took a second (or third) look at the late and lamented Bruynzeel Fullcolor pencils.

Doesn't the colour selection look very much alike the Marco Renoir 100 colour set?
This would mean that the Fullcolors are still alive as Bruynzeel Design Colours and Marco Renoirs.

Does anyone have the old Fullcolors left to confirm or deny this idea?
This is a Fullcolor colour chart from my hard disk - sorry, can't remember where I got it:

Have I mentioned that I desperately want the full Marco Renoir set...

Heikki