WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2016, 03:49 PM

Hails from Italy
Fine art classes/courses in Toronto?

Hi everyone,
I am about to move to Toronto, not sure for how long yet, and I was wondering if any of you know a good place for art courses or at least classes? Say, life drawing, maybe open ones.
Since I am not sure how long I will stay, I would prefer to enter classes or courses that are not too long (say no longer than a few months, to start with)
I ready about Max the Mutt, how is it?

Oh, I forgot to mention it: I am interested in classical fine arts (drawing, painting in oils, sculpture a bit as well) and illustration. Traditional, not digital

Thank in advance

Last edited by NemoPS : 07-10-2016 at 03:52 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 PM
Borington, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Fine art classes/courses in Toronto?

Hi Nemo!

(future) Welcome to Hogtown! I am one of the millions living within the enormous sprawl of the gta, and can offer you whatever tidbits of info I have on what's in this neck of the woods.

I have a former classmate who has taken some classes and workshops offered by the Academy of Art. It's a realist oriented private art academy in Toronto (read: traditionally oriented fine arts)
Click Me for Link
He said he was very happy a learned a lot from what he took there. I haven't personally attended any of their classes or workshops, as it's out of my budget at the moment, so I can't offer personal experiences.

I've heard GREAT things about Max the Mutt - another former college classmate has transferred out of the Sheridan program we were in to attend their f/t concept art program, and it looks great. I really want to attend their comic book workshop, myself, at some point in the future.
Not certain if you would consider it a "fine arts" school. Mind you, I personally feel most of the "fine arts" programs, particularly within the GTA, and in general within Canada, at least, have made a huge leap into "conceptual" art (the movement popular from the 60s, NOT "concept " art that is mainly used now to describe movies/game art and illustration.)
MTM and the AA are private institutions, and as such, are more hands on, in my opinion. (something I think is better)

I have a friend (and also former art classmate, lol) who works at WingedCanvas, based out of east Toronto. They offer classes, workshops, and life drawing evenings (some regular, some costumed or themed, I believe). Click me for WingedCanvas!

Toronto School of Art also offers some workshops and I believe they have weekly life drawing classes. Havent attended and don't offhand remember anyone else who has, but if you just want life drawing sessions that's another option.
Click Me for TSA!

I know the Gladstone hotel offers drawing session every week. Click me for Gladstone!

Depending on how long you will be, and exactly whereabouts youll be, one of the Universities or accredited colleges within the area might have a night class. I took some of Sheridan College's night/ weekend class offerings when I was still working F/t in a different career. The professors were quite good and it gave me something to look forward to every week with my uncreative job in finance. Sheridan is in Oakville, which is west of Toronto proper by about 50km. That might be too far for you.

However, OCAD has a life drawing session outside of their full-time offerings. (one of my former professors teaches there, actually)
Click me for OCAD!

I think there are also life drawing classes (either a night or weekend) at Centennial College. Sorry, you'll have to poke around on their website if you're that interested, I can't find the exact link. Click me for Centennial!

There's a VERY casual, and completely free, Sunday subway sketch group run by Imaginism They meet up every week and ride the subway up and down sketching everyone. Thought I would mention as while it's not a life drawing CLASS, it is a fun and free way to meet other local artists and get in a bit of life sketching. The rest of Imaginism's (awesome) classes are online, with the exception of their (also awesome) workshop events. Click Me for Imaginism!

I'm sure there are probably a bunch more, but I live about 70 clicks west of Toronto proper and don't travel there regularly anymore.

Best of luck on your class hunt!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2016, 04:53 AM

Hails from Italy
Re: Fine art classes/courses in Toronto?

Hey there!
Wow, thanks a lot for the tips, I wouldn't have been able to find all those resources on my own. I guess I will have a good look through all of them to see what each one offers
Thanks, really appreciated
Fabio