WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2015, 05:24 PM
A WC! Legend
Yorkshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: An Invitation to Beginners in Pen and Ink

Thank you for your welcome, Maureen, and your comments! These are indeed two separate drawings, I forgot to say that, sorry.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-04-2015, 10:55 PM
Greenville, SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoylander
Hello, this is a pen drawing in the style of Claudia Nice. I love pen and ink but I suppose I lack confidence, so welcome this thread for newbys! I'm mainly in the watercolour gallery but I do look in P/I though I don't feel qualified to comment, there are such lovely drawings. Thanks for looking and C/C very welcome!

Nice drawings. I see no reason for a lack of confidence. After taking a look at some of your work I can say that you are certainly qualified to comment on any drawing in this forum. I can see that you understand: form, perspective, value and composition. All of which are valid areas for comment. I know I would value your input.

I agree with Maureen about the little shack, I especially like how you suggested a pile of rubble with just a few lines.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2015, 02:37 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoylander
Hello, this is a pen drawing in the style of Claudia Nice. I love pen and ink but I suppose I lack confidence, so welcome this thread for newbys! I'm mainly in the watercolour gallery but I do look in P/I though I don't feel qualified to comment, there are such lovely drawings. Thanks for looking and C/C very welcome!

I like your drawing(s) , I especially like your tonal approach .
Definitely it would have been better if they had been posted as two separate drawings so that each had the space to breathe.

I do hope you do feel totally free to comment on any drawing at all which has caught & sustained your attention long enough to inspire a comment.

Don't forget that regardless of a comment makers experience with P&I , that has nothing to do with their degree of artistic sensitivity to look at & really feel a drawing.

Last week I was watching the football, I certainly did not refrain from passing comments on the match just because I am not of their football playing standard !
Later on "Match of the day" the experienced pundits echoed my analysis of the game.
It's the same with art comments & critique.
Cheers Mike
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
A WC! Legend
Yorkshire, England

Hails from United Kingdom

A beautiful sketch of Biko, Hakea, a lovely memory for you.

Thank you so much, Wayne, for your lovely comments, they are so encouraging, and for taking the time to look at some of my work!

Mike, thanks for putting things in perspective and making an excellent example with the football! I'll remember that! Glad you liked the drawings, I hope to post another one soon.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2015, 02:03 PM

Hails from Netherlands

Hello there

Newbie here! I made a set recently of my friends and their children. I usually work in Watercolour but not this time. Pen & ink just felt more natural, even if I have rarely ever tried the medium before. I did struggle with getting their likenesses and I don't think I have quite managed it. The wash was liquid graphite - I like how the texture combines with the pen strokes. I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Vivian
Attached Images

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-18-2015, 04:43 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

A warm welcome Vivian, and such endearing images too .... its a really nice set of work.
I think the idea of the liquid graphite is a good one (or an ink wash) because it makes, or keeps, the skin soft and rounded .... good form!
Yes, very nice pieces.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2015, 06:20 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you Maureen.

I enjoyed this exercise! In watercolour I find myself minimising pencil marks, here every gesture counts - and the initial pen strokes exploring form helps build character. Pen & Ink, here I come.

Love the virtues of liquid graphite - but the vices must be noted: disperses badly, with occasional flotsam. Gentle transitions are very tricky. And corrections are a no-no.

Vivian
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2015, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Rural Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Viv, your sketches are just lovely! Charming, fresh, and very well done. I've never used liquid graphite, but it has worked well here. I would love to see you bring this into your watercolors, so you have the best of both (ink and color wash).

http://www.flicker.farm
C+C always welcome.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:20 AM
Lord of the Arts

Very nice work indeed Vivian , although the pen line seems to play a very minor role in it .
However I certainly do not feel that you should use more pen line in it though because your handling of the liquid graphite has a wonderfully soft & subtle effect that would be unbalanced by the use of stronger or more pen lines.
Tell us more about liquid graphite - I'm intrigued.
Cheers Mike
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2015, 09:30 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you for the comments!

BeeG:

I did try ink & watercolour wash a few years ago. It didn't really work for me, particularly how the line work conflicted with the translucency of the washes. I need to go back and try it out again...

Mike:

I dare say the detailed pen work isn't visible in the images - here are a couple of close ups. Given my lack of experience, I made the mistake of using an 03 for contours when I should have stuck to an 005.

About the liquid graphite - I used two brands. Derivan Liquid Pencil was my first try. I hated it. Then I tried Viarco Artgraf and it seemed so much better. But I am not an expert so my experience may not be what others have found.

Vivian
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Thanks for the close-ups Viv - I also like to use 'searching lines' when sketching! ..... the right one is 'in there somewhere'!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2015, 03:19 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viv_ch

Mike:

I dare say the detailed pen work isn't visible in the images - here are a couple of close ups. Given my lack of experience, I made the mistake of using an 03 for contours when I should have stuck to an 005.

Vivian

Oh right I stand corrected ! There are indeed many lines in there .
the internet is not the best place to look at art.

I wonder whether leaping from 0.3 right down to the tiny 0.5 is too big a jump in line thickness ? Those close ups do show the life & fresh vitality that the lines lend to your style .
Using a 0.5 would make them just about invisible.
Just a thought !
Thanks for that liquid graphite info - I'd never heard of it before .
Cheers Mike
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2015, 04:10 AM

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedlars pen

I wonder whether leaping from 0.3 right down to the tiny 0.5 is too big a jump in line thickness ?

Cheers Mike

You're quite right - 03 vs 005 is too big a leap. It's just that these are the only pens I have at hand. I should invest in a couple more...

I have a love-hate affair with liquid graphite. Compared to watercolour it is practically unworkable. Yet I love its texture.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2015, 06:11 AM
Veteran Member
Rural Central Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

The details are amazing, Vivian. Don't worry if we can't always see what is on your paper...it is hard to get a good photo or scan, and at some point the fussing isn't worth it. What counts is the art itself. Keep sharing your lovely images, please.

http://www.flicker.farm
C+C always welcome.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2016, 11:35 PM
Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Rotring Isograph .25 and .5
Mounting board.