WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting > The Technical Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: OK...So, How Do I Do This?

Looks like a faux painting effect. Base coat color with a glaze applied over it. Depending on the method you use to apply the glaze you get all kinds of different effects. You can think my wife's love of painting every room in the house multiple times for the following link:

https://www.truevaluepaint.com/paint...ux-techniques/
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:30 AM
California

The biggest problem I see with this is that transparent yellows are strangely somewhere between rare and nonexistent. I have about a dozen (or more) tubes of various yellow paints and not a single one is transparent.

Lots of transparent blues, reds, browns, greens...but no yellow.

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 07:36 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Town of George, Kentucky

Hails from United States

Use oil paint diluted to a thin consistency on top of a slightly absorbent impasto surface, then use paper towel to wipe off excess. Splatter at the end with a bit of the paint to make various dots.

Edit: PY42 Transparent is readily available on the market and looks like it would work for this pretty well.

Delofasht
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2019, 08:23 PM
A WC! Legend
Glendale, Arizona

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaintBlue
The biggest problem I see with this is that transparent yellows are strangely somewhere between rare and nonexistent. I have about a dozen (or more) tubes of various yellow paints and not a single one is transparent.

Lots of transparent blues, reds, browns, greens...but no yellow.

Winsor Newton offers Transparent Yellow 653 (PY128), that is a very transparent, primary Yellow. If you can't obtain that, I believe Rembrandt also offers a transparent Yellow of the same pigment ID.

Most any brand of Indian Yellow is transparent, and rather than being a primary Yellow, it has a bias toward Red. (It's an Orangey Yellow.)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 04:49 AM
A Local Legend
Tbilisi, Georgia

Hails from Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delofasht
Edit: PY42 Transparent is readily available on the market and looks like it would work for this pretty well.
PY150 is also available as a transparent "earthy" yellow paint. It is extremely lightfast and permanent. Almost as permanent as Yellow oxide. I have a convenience mix with PY42 and PY150 under the name "Golden Yellow" paint.

https://mgraham.com/oil-paints/nickel-azo-yellow-123/
https://www.dickblick.com/items/00473-4003/#colorswatch

Last edited by Gigalot : 07-21-2019 at 04:59 AM.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-21-2019, 07:44 AM
California

My Indian Yellow is so intensely orange that I wasn't even considering it a yellow in the first place -- but it looks like in its very diluted state it might pass for a transparent yellow glaze after all.

It looks to me as though there's a bit of Burnt Sienna in there, plus a murky gray of some sort at the edges (not shown). It seems to me that the final color(s) could be substantially manipulated by compensating conventional colors under the final glaze, and may actually have to be.

This looks like it's going to require a good deal of experimentation. [sigh!]