Home Forums The Learning Center Composition and Design can making perspective "off" be a better composition?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I wanted to paint this historical house and add a dog in front of the door, but the top section bothers me. all the blank space.The house is so tall that I could not get far enough back to get the whole house without it being too small at the door to see a dog I will add. I wondered if i bring down the roof, closer to the windows, which is perspectivally wrong, would it look better? Or is it a lost cause?

virgil carter

Just focus around the front door, so that the dog is a large enough shape to dominate the painting and be a proper focal point.

Remember…the painting is about the dog, not the two-story house.

Sling paint,
        Virgil

Sling paint,
        Virgil Carter
        http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

Just focus around the front door, so that the dog is a large enough shape to dominate the painting and be a proper focal point.

Remember…the painting is about the dog, not the two-story house.

Sling paint,
        Virgil

well, it was supposed to be about the house, lol I was just going to add the dog to make it more inviting

virgil carter

Well…in that case, forget the competing dog, and design a composition which shows more of the house.

And yes, you should correct the distortion of the columns created by the camera lens, and make all the verticals vertical!

Good luck!

Sling paint,
            Virgil

Sling paint,
            Virgil Carter
            http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

KolinskyRed

I wanted to paint this historical house and add a dog in front of the door, but the top section bothers me. all the blank space.

Hi Carol, you’re completely on the right track! Here’s my quick illustration of your idea:

The photo on the left is your original shot, slightly re-oriented to take out some of the camera tilt. Below is my sketch of the horizon line, which illustrates how the low HL gives the ceiling more prominence. In the photo on the right, I’ve raised the HL, and as seen in the little pencil sketch this increases the amount of floor we are seeing. In my rough sketches, the proportions of the length/width of the back wall changed between sketches, I didn’t mean to do that, they should remain the same.

Try sitting down low in your hallway and take in your perception of the ceiling and floor, and then stand up (or safely on chair) and check out what it then looks like.I did not change anything about the wall/windows/door other than move it upwards.

If you were to see in your mind’s eye the front of the house from a higher vantage point, the porch light would seem lower than it is in the second photo, of course, you may place it anywhere that’s aesthetically pleasing.
                But to centre the light on the ceiling, here’s how:

The new centre of the ceiling on the right is at the intersection of the “X”.

This will look great with the dog!

Have fun! This will make a great painting,

Cheers!

awesome! thank you sooo much!!!!!
                Looks like you also straightened the pillars, what program did you use to do it??

KolinskyRed

Hi Carol,

Glad that helped…

I use Photoshop, which has an extension called Bridge for managing photos, and within Bridge is Camera Raw where there’s a panel for an approximate fix, resulting in the first photo.

Back in photoshop, to create the second photo with the higher Horizon Line I selected the wall and moved it upwards as-is. Then I selected the porch floor and stretched it upwards.

Cheers!

wow thanks, I have PS but not good with it, I’ll play around with it.

Ted B.

Cameras and linear perspective have always been tricky since the human eye and mind don’t perceive and record the world on a flat plane. The old bellows cameras had ways to slide and swing the glass plate negative to correct-for or exaggerate the distortion. Now better-quality software and some very-technical lens do the same. The artist can also do the same through composition and artistic license.

Radical Fundemunsellist

Tintoretto’s “Christ Washing His Disciples’ Feet”

link to one version at the Art Gallery of Ontario in Toronto — https://d1qs43ndkrnxwa.cloudfront.net/loris/co6/ago.81891.jp2/full/680,/0/default.jpg

Picture only makes sense if viewed from near-right, over there in front of Christ, because at that location the viewer will see the perspective lines (f.e. in the tiles on the floor) as receding into the distance. If viewed from front-and-center — which is the angle that any rectangular photograph will inherently imply the canvas is being viewed from — then you think it’s a painting of a building with a dog.

Very nice dog. Smack in the center. But really, I don’t think the greyhound is the point of the picture. Try taking a step to the right of your computer screen and looking again.

-----
                        Certified Closet Management Engineer, Slung Watercolor Society of America

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.