Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink Looking for a pen finer than a 0.03mm fineliner

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Wasp2016

I am looking for a pen that is finer than a 0.03mm fine liner. I have a 0.03mm Copic fine liner and a uni pin 0.03mm fine liner. I would however like to make lines that are finer than that. however I’m not sure if it is possible to get anything that small. It can be any type of pen, a dip pen, finer liner etc.

I think you mean 0.3mm? Rotring Iograph nibs are available from 0.01mm size but I warn you they clog easily.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Anonymous

It is very hard to avoid getting mixed up about the sizing of these pens, that’s hardly surprising as the manufacturers do themselves too !
            The sizing of these fineliners is pretty arbitrary & a 0.1 micron is much larger than a 0.1 uni for instance.Some manufacturers are talking about the tip diameter like micron ,while unipin are talking about the actual line width.
            The finest hairline you can get on ANY fine liner (or pen) is the copic 0.03 BUT the line is not very black (because there is so little ink put down.) & it stops working at all after a single drawing or two ,even when used with a most sensitive hand & on the smoothest bristol board surface – they have pushed the design perimeters too far & it is just not worth the money or hassle I’m afraid.
            The 0.05 copic still has a very fine hairline, is a good black & the tip lasts as longer than any other fine liner.
            You will not get a finer lined pen not in fine liners nor dip pens, the 0.05 Unipin fineliner is very fine & lasts well with the advantage that you can use it at a lower angle than the copics.
            Those two are as fine as you will find – Believe me I’ve wasted enough of my money on this holy grail quest of the finest line !
            If you really want to use super fine lines the secret is to work at a lager scale with these above pens because the truth is that a lines fineness is relative to the thicker lines around about it :wink2:
            Mike

blackandwhite

0.1mm Rotring (Isograph or Rapidograph) gives the finest line I’ve seen. Uni Pin 003 is close to that, but the color is towards gray like others already mentioned and in some cases it can look narrower even if the line is wider than what Rotring produces. The Rotring line is solid black.

The finest of dip pen nibs are close to those and could be even finer if you are lucky, but the line will be less consistent. You can even sand the nibs smaller using very fine sandpaper, if it really is mandatory to get extremely fine lines.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.