Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Using Gesso on Ceramics

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    boarsrock

Has anyone here tried using Gesso on ceramic? I work mainly with watercolors and would like to try a different approach with ceramics.

Just curious of those who’ve used Gesso on its ability to adhere to different surfaces. Thanks for any advice.

hmmm, no i can’t say I have…maybe post this also in the sculpture forum? Maybe they have an answer?

My Web Site:
        [/URL]
        My Workshops

All my work is copyrighted and may not be downloaded, copied or reproduced without written permission from me.

If any man can convince me and bring home to me that I do not think or act aright, gladly will I change; for I search after truth, by which man never yet was harmed. But he is harmed who abideth on still in his deception and ignorance. - Marcus Aurelius
        Serenity

Hi Boarsrock – If it on ‘bisque’ ceramic, it would be okay to use gesso but if the ceramic is glazed or shiny, I would suggest you use a coat of sealer first to give better adherance to the glazed surface – then gesso. I’m not too sure that gesso directly onto a glazed surface would be as long-lasting as it could be prone to chipping or peeling away from the slick surface. Sealer makes a huge difference.

Hope that helps some,

Serena

Serena

Blog
            Website

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.