Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink How to dismantle pentel pocket brush pen?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    indraneel

Well, after about a half dozen refils with the rotring ink, my pentel pocket has finally clogged. And there’s absolutely no information on the internet about how to dismantle it for cleaning. Doesn’t even seem like anyone has even ever tried! With millions of these pens having been sold and used, please don’t tell me that I have to be the first one to find out :crying: Surely someone has one of these brushes with a bad tip that they are willing to sacrifice for the sake of art?? The tip on my brush is still fine so I don’t really want to have to break it to find out how to open it :crying:

please help! for the love of art!

PS: these are not even sold in India, so I really don’t want to :crying: :crying: :crying: inflict myself on ebay :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

PenDipper

I don’t think you can with much success – the various parts are press-fitted into the front-end brush holder.

You might be able to pop them out – but getting them back in will be a challenge.

They aren’t dear – if it’s clogged to death, buy a new set.

You MIGHT have some luck if you soak that front end bit overnight in warm water.

Anonymous

Sorry mate, despite your obvious enterprise you are going to have to replace rather than sort out yourself because the feed & brush part is a totally and absolutely a sealed unit, hence your blank on internet results BUT hang on a minute – Rotring ink is totally water soluble , have you steeped it in warm water for 24hours or more ? That should shift any blockage. An addition of an ammonia solution should help further .
                Let me know how it goes,
                Mike.
                Edit -Ah ! I see pendipper has beat me to this !

indraneel

Thanks for the quick replies! Well, it’s not cheap :( And I’ve tried with soap water, not for 24hrs though. But I’m pretty sure it will not flow out on its own. My waterbrushes all had that problem, and had to be washed out thoroughly (which in hindsight really makes me feel like an idiot). The ink is not watersoluble, it’s pigmented, not a dye, probably has some type of acrylic binder to it so alkaline solvents/soaps kind of remove it. But it does settle, and is hard to remove without physical access. Guess, I’ll have to go look for some ammonia somewhere…

OTOH, I do have a bottle of NaOH pellets… (yeah, I’m kind of weird that way…)

We used to have bottles of Rotring pen cleaner for their pens.

Doug

We must leave our mark on this world

Anonymous

Oh , I thought you meant their fountain pen ink , you mean technical pen ink – even worse ! Ammonia will not do the job I’m afraid with this ink.
                        Like Doug says above you can get their cleaning solution but it is expensive & may not be readily available in your part of the world – some of people report that it works best when used in conjunction with an ultrasonic cleaner.
                        If you can’t get that there are air brush cleaners too – same sort of stuff.

I think the pen cleaners used for this are made from Isopropyl Alcohol mostly , it can damage some kinds of plastic but the patient is already very ill !- that is the way I would go.
                        You may have to use some pressure to force the stuff through – like a syringe .

Really the Pentel brush pen is a fountain pen & as such should only be used with water soluble inks.
                        If you need a waterproof ink through it, use a fountain pen nano particle carbon ink like “platinum carbon ” – but even so – don’t leave it filled up with this & lying around unused for days.
                        Mike

indraneel

Thanks, stupidly that is exactly what I did… filled it up and left it “lying around unused for days” (the thinking being that it was flowing nicely and the rotrings all cleaned up perfectly even after months of no use..)

Well, with my $0.02, I chopped off the tip of a plastic dropper. It fit snugly over the section so am now forcing dishwashing detergent in the reverse direction, one half dropperful at a time. The exudate has black pigment partices. It does seem to be working, very slowly. Wish I had a better way to apply pressure… but I guess this will make the lesson stick better… Wish I had an ultrasonic cleaner too. What’s an air brush cleaner?

Thanks Doug, will look for the pen cleaner… although I don’t recall having seen it in stores. I have a feeling these rotrings are made in India, including the ink. The pens cost about $8-9 here, original stuff with hologram etc from reputed sellers, but without a warranty, since they are “imported”. The ink is less than $1 a bottle (also with hologram). There is usually a steep markdown on the list price of rotrings. And then, the market is filled to the brim with rotring lookalikes, they are always sold in different brandnames (have the red circle but not called rotring) for about $2-3. They are decent too, no problems.

Anonymous

Well this is the home made variety which I’m sure will be of most interest to you – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb2WihcWEIo

Main active ingredient Rubbing alcohol (a US. term for Isopropyl Alcohol) that I mentioned above. Steeping for a while might ? be damaging to the plastic as it can damage some types usually it just takes the shine off a bit when I’ve used it.
                                I want to rig up a bicycle pump to force it through !
                                I look forward with eager anticipation to the next thilling installment of ” Pentel Brush Pen casuallty Ward 1 drama ” :lol:
                                Mike

indraneel

That was interesting, but the roadie guy’s video was better (came in the recommendations).

If I could find someone with high enough blood pressure that would be 5psi (at 300mm systolic)…. can there be something to it..? Maybe it wouldn’t be safe for me near them…

Easier than retrofitting a bicycle pump would be a lawn/garden sprayer, and it’s already meant for liquids. I remember many decades ago guys would come with a huge brass thing strapped to their backs to spray DDT for the mosquitoes. Nowadays they come with polypropylene canisters, not DDT but something equally polluting and carcinogenic… no effect on the giant mosquitoes though…

Think the lawn sprayers might be able to drive an airbrush…? not that I’ll be leaping into it….

PenDipper

I’ve seen a vacuum cleaner air sprayer.

You need a vacuum that has a pipe output (the modern junk with the grill is no good – the old barrel vacuum is ideal).

A pipe goes into the output and pressurizes the gun for the spraying.

Noisy – and I haven’t seen one for yonks and yonks! But they existed.

indraneel

I’ve seen a vacuum cleaner air sprayer.

You need a vacuum that has a pipe output (the modern junk with the grill is no good – the old barrel vacuum is ideal).

A pipe goes into the output and pressurizes the gun for the spraying.

Noisy – and I haven’t seen one for yonks and yonks! But they [I]existed[/I].

:eek: I have that! It even has 2 spray bottles! That’s what we use… bought in ~1990! But the pipe is about 2″ dia.. guess I’ll have to find some way to reduce it. It’s pretty powerful though, even at 2″. About the noise, it’s no more noisy than the modern ones, and it’s encased in vinyl covered stainless steel!

PenDipper

That’s the one – the barrel was covered in vinyl.

You could try a drain reducer – they come in a funnel shape that you cut to fir both ends.

Fixing it might be an issue, the pressure might make it difficult.

You also don’t want TOO much restriction, you can overload those motors.

OR – you could try a smaller reducer, 2″ to 1″ and then run a push-on rubber pipe from that to the air gun?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.