WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Landscapes
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:27 AM
Enthusiast

Re: Best Landscape books

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Schneider
There is no doubt that the writings from the old painters is archaic. Difficult to pull out good clear information. I have a defined vision of how I want to paint so typically do not read many of the instructional writings, but I did read the obligatory Carlson.

I am one who marks and notes all over the inside of a book for future reference. One to consider that I have totally consumed and continue to revisit in recent times is: The Elements of Landscape Oil Painting by Suzanne Brooker.

Check it out
Tim

Agree that this book has more useful information and detail than any other book I have seen.
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-19-2019, 09:49 AM
A Local Legend
Washington state

Hails from United States
Re: Best Landscape books

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiver
(spam and references to it have been removed- thanks to those who reported it)

I've been enjoying my Kindle version of Birge Harrison's Landscape Painting, published in 1909. Here's the product description; says it as well as any:Originally published in 1909, "Landscape Painting," by Birge Harrison is a collection of impromptu talks given before the Art Students League at its summer school in Woodstock, New York. Birge Harrison was born in Philadelphia in 1854. He initially trained in the Academy of Fine Arts in Philadelphia, but within a year moved to Paris. There he remained for twelve years as student at the Ecole des Beaux Arts, working under Carolus Duran and Alexandre Cabanel. "Birge Harrison's volume on 'Landscape Painting' a fine commentary on the technique of the craft."

It's an interesting read, not least because he lived and painted when the Impressionists were alive and when on-location painting was relatively new. At times it's pretty obvious that it was written 100 years ago- technology has changed so much-, but often the observations and advice seem fresh and new.
I have a Kindle but it's not required if you get the free Kindle for PC app to download it. The illustrations aren't much and the text is garbled in a few spots because of the scan-to-text program, but IMO the book was certainly worth the 3 bucks.

That book sounds really good, Wendy. For anyone else who might be interested, I've found a later publication (eighth edition, 1920) of the same book, free at archive.org: https://archive.org/details/landscap...rgoog/page/n11

There are several options for formats of the book, including Kindle and pdf. I can't wait to read it! Also, for those who are slightly wonky, like me, Richard Arnheim's Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye is also available through archive.org, here:
https://archive.org/details/RudolfAr...ss1974/page/n1

“Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.”
― Sir Thomas Browne

Last edited by AnnieA : 06-19-2019 at 10:26 AM.