WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Re: plein air into larger work?

I'll encourage you to delve into and become familiar with Carl Rungius....
He was America's first professional wildlife artist early to mid 1900s ...doing his very large 90"x 120" wildlife scenes from his 11"x 14" plein airs....traveling into mountains on horseback...

He would paint nearly brushstroke by brushstroke...larger brushes...and then treat his animals in a similar fitting style. Moose, caribou, bears...etc. I had abandoned my career in wildlife art then eight to nine years into plein air...as I had been regimened into detail upon detail...but Ruguis awakened for me what was possible....
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Memphis, TN

Hails from United States

I looked up Rungius. Here are some examples of his work:
http://www.WildlifeArt.org/artists/a...ex.php?aID=262

Wonderful.

The Rocky Mountain Sheep painting is awesome. http://www.wildlifeart.org/ViewArtwo...ex.php?tID=740

http://matthewleestudio.com

Last edited by artistinmemphis : 04-08-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 12:53 AM
A Local Legend
Utah

Hails from United States

I visited the wildlife art museum in Jackson last year, they have a whole wing devoted to Rungius, very impressive indeed. I highly recommend a trip to Jackson Wyoming for any landscape and wildlife art lover, the quality of paintings and sculpture in all the galleries and the musem just bowled me over. Seeing that stuff in magazines and books is one thing but seeing it on person is a whole other world. I sat on a couch and stared at a Scott Christensen painting for at least twenty minutes, I just couldn't beleive what I was looking at. Christensen is another artist who works field studies up into large studio paintings, as does Clyde Aspevig who's work was also in that same gallery and if there was a couch in front if it I'm sure I would have sat in front of it for twenty minutes or more as well.
I too like to work small in the field but I'd also like to learn to develope those plein air pieces into larger studio works, something I have yet to try but will get around to it soon I hope.

David
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2012, 04:49 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Kevspainter: Thanks. I'll have a look at Edgar Payne's work. Yes, I will post my finished effort - as long as it's not too frightful!

marcdalessio: Practice does seem to be key to most things, that's a valid point. I'm certainly going to work through the process a few times before I even think of starting the commissioned piece.

LarrySeiler, artistinmemphis and Davkin: Thanks for bringing Rungius to my attention - an excellent painter, and also very colourful work, which I like. To enlarge from 11x14 to 90x120 is quite a daunting prospect!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-06-2012, 04:09 PM

Hails from United Kingdom

Not sure if I should revive my old thread but it adds the context to these images ...

I promised I would post the resulting painting after taking advantage of all your helpful suggestions. The client was happy with the work and I sold my first large piece. Thankyou!

Here is the 6x8 inch sketch, followed by the 24x36 inch large canvas. I decided not to stray too far from the original plein air work, even though I think it has several faults, as I was not sure just what the client liked about it. So, overly strong tones in the clouds have been left etc. The colours are quite close in reality but they have come out looking different on screen.

Plein air forum members (and my Mum!) gave me the courage to see it through to the end.

website/painting blog: www.helencolledge.co.uk