WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Archives
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 12:32 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States
Re: ****Challenge-Week Four****

Karen - wow, I'm impressed by how prolific you've been! These are all wonderful; it's hard to choose a favorite. You can really appreciate the differences in them when they're all neatly lined up in a single gallery, too . These look a lot larger than 5x7", too.

Deborah - I like the split complement painting; the colors work well together. The winter one - I think that is my favorite of all yours so far! You do great snow, and this is a nice example of that.

Tressa - love the velvet texture you got using the sueded matboard! That, and the very different type of strokes you used here give it a very "organic" feel (I can't really describe what that means, but it's what pops into my head )

Mary - I think both of these turned out really well! I love the vibrancy of the reds, yellows and oranges and the purple complement in there. I also like how you turned the road into a creek - the reflections look great. I also think I like the simplicity of the painting without the trees.

I did two paintings last night, and I'll post them seperately.

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Veteran Member
Durango, CO

Hails from United States

Here are two of my 5 for this week:

Canson grey paper, smooth side. Pastels: Senn, Rembr, Uni's.
I'd title this piece: "As You Were", since it is painted from the color photo with me trying to use accurate colors as much as possible. I also spent a bit more time painting it. The fair-weather cumulus clouds weren't in the actual photo, but they were present all that day. Besides, I love clouds, so I couldn't resist putting some in. They are from my memory/imagination, so if they look a bit funky, that's why. I want to do an entire series of cloud paintings soon.

All 3 pastel brands on 600-grit sandpaper.
For this piece, I was playing around with colors on a scrap piece of sandpaper, and pulled some that I wanted to try together. My main purpose was to try blending different color combos together, which is why you see green and yellow on red, yellow over blue, purple and red, purple and blue, etc. I wanted to try light over dark and some dark over light optical blending and see how those techniques worked. The result is a bit chaotic, but oddly cheerful, I think .I used no finger blending at all - it was just pastel over pastel. This is a piece I'll keep as a reference for color combos for future paintings. Plus, these bright, unrealistic palettes are just loads of fun!

art & photography blog
Facebook Studio Page
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Enthusiast
Illinois

Hails from United States

Here we are in week four -- really has gone quickly. Love seeing all the different versions and styles.

Tressa -love that version with the broken color -- looking at your gallery - I think #6 is my favorite -- but they are all great.

Deb, your new blue/green is really pretty- I think I am drawn to the split comp. color combo you used there. On the other hand I also like the snow-look -- I want to go back and look at that one a bit more.

Karen -- very fun to see all of your's - the variety in styles and colors -- is very interesting -- I'm drawn to #5 and #8.

Mary - I love #13 -- and love that you re-worked a sample paper -- what a great idea!!!!!

Sonya -- the green version is lovely -- nature's version. The r/b is really fun, I definitely agree that it is fun to work on some wild combinations and learn from them.

So, here is my week 4 group -- instead of my goal of 3, I managed 5 -- I was determined to try a sunset and an evening. All were fun -- all on mi-tientes, variety of greys, combination of pastels -- tried not to blend too much -- but sometimes --oh well. AND, as frustrated as I was last week -- I really had fun with these. The only ref I looked at was the value study, never looked at the original photo. Oh, and my trail seems to be a stream now. (good idea from a couple of you, thanks)

C&C very welcome and appreciated --

Nancy
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Took four of these paintings to the MPS meeting today, and everyone was quite free with compliments and most had read the PJ article conerning the exercise. Some got inspired to try it.
Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-24-2009, 05:34 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Wow, this thread's been busy already. I'll come back tomorrow to comment on the paintings but I like what I see at a glance!
Here is my week 3 gallery and my first for week 4. I did this on pastelmat and my pad is only 8x6. I guessed the square when masking it off but guessed wrong! This is about 6.75x6! it was s'posed to be green and purple and it is, but I went from blue/green through to yellow/green and blue/violet through red/violet so it just looks multi coloured. Oh and I left out the fence!

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-25-2009, 01:08 PM
A Local Legend
Denver colorado

Hails from United States

I have to say what a great Idea Deborah this has been truely a great thread, one of the best since I started to come here. I have enjoyed seeing all the art work fo one setting done in so many different seasons, colors ect... I wish I would have had the time to join in, but then again I can always just do the exercise when the time is available. Thank You.

Take care, Be well, Be safe http://www.scottleckrone.com
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Ruthie ,
Your gallery is looking great.Your latest has caught a windy cold look. I like the colour in the sky and I like it without the gate. The autumn colours in No 4 are lovely. I must have missed it earlier.
Nancy,
You have five lovely paintings there. I think my favorites this week are 4 or 5 I love both their skys.
Sonya
Love the greens but I also like the purple sky in the red one and it has a lovely glow to the colours.
Mary
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

No. 3 for week four

Green Mi- Teintes Tex
Various purples

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Love the purple! It's so calming.
I did 2 today. these are both on velour (which I don't like but need to get rid of a load) and are around 8x8 but not exactly....too lazy to cut the sheets I already have. the first is on black so I did a night scene. That is one huge moon
2nd is on cream and is all done with my 6 Rembrandt greens. I think the reason it's particularly blurred is because I tried to depict rain. The real thing does look better than the pic.
I'm getting a bit frustrated because I can't seem to improve my style. Perhaps I should try doing one "properly" without a time limit, on paper that I like and see what happens then.

That's me done for this week, which is good as I won't have any art time tomorrow
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2009, 03:50 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyarthur
I have to say what a great Idea Deborah this has been truely a great thread, one of the best since I started to come here. I have enjoyed seeing all the art work fo one setting done in so many different seasons, colors ect... I wish I would have had the time to join in, but then again I can always just do the exercise when the time is available. Thank You.

Scott, thanks. That's very nice of you to say. The work here is outstanding--a really interesting blend of styles, approaches, and experiments. Look for the thread with our painting galleries in it, which I expect will end up getting five stars!

Mmmm, Ruth, love the GREEN one! The rain works for me...

There are so many others I like... More time! I need more time in each day!

You guys are doing great--don't get bogged down now! A student of mine is using Wolf Kahn's color schemes for inspiration. Whose color work do you admire? Bounce off of that!

Deborah
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

I just want to tell you all that I really admire your dedication to Deborah's challange. I am watching and learning as I just don't have time to participate at the moment. All of your work is inspiring and facinating.
Well done to you all
Mary Brigid
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Western PA

Hails from United States

Like everyone these 4 weeks have passed very quickly. So many really creative and inspirational pieces have been displayed. To reflect I have become more comfortable with pastels and have become more daring and even broke the ones I was using. So at least I conquerred that challenge! I also used this opportunity to try out different papers, using primer, different underpainting techniques, strokes, etc. I still need to conquer the photographing the paintings. For these I reduced the size and helped a bit it seems but still seem to have more of the paper showing than IRL. Anyway here goes my 2 for Week 4:

#7 9X12 Swathmore Light Blue Pastel Paper DB and Rembrandt sticks Winter Scene

#8 Painted on Swathmore Beige Pastel Paper / Limited to shades of brown DB and Rembrandt sticks (Thought I would try to create a sepia look)

This has been such fun and many thanks Deborah for starting this challenge!
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 05:47 PM
A Local Legend
Norfolk England

Hails from England

Oh I like these Dee, especially the snow one. Mmmm, I haven't done one of those yet.............
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Ruthie
your rain looks really good and I like the way the moonlight shines in the canal.Your hedge has grown well since you chopped down the fence.

Dee
Your sepia works well and I particularly like the way you did your clouds. Love the winter scene.I think I am going to have to attempt one of those.