Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Using a hair dryer to accelerate drying time?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    terrycafie

I need some advice…I applied linseed oil to all over my oil painting , in a process I read would help to prevent any unevenness of shine, before Damar retouch varnish would be applied….Only problem is the oil is not drying fast enough …I have already done some damage to a large painting I want to exhibit THIS WEEKEND…Help please with your advice….Thanks…Terry

Freesail

Wipe it off ….. try and use a lint free cloth. BTW, Retouching varnish is used to even out the shine while adding a little protection.

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
            lt_scout

I’m pretty sure the hair dryer won’t work, the heat could make it worse by separating the pigments from the oil binders but I’m not sure of that. The paint will dry by oxidization not evaporation like acrylics.

Carcharhinus

Heat will only dry water based paints. Hair dryer will only do more damage than good.

DECiNERGY

That is ALL true, BUT why is it in summer faster ‘dry’ as in winter … OR the oilpaint is longer workable when its cooler … ???!!!??? ;-)

EXPRESSIVER REALISMUS
                        • DECiNERGY -> http://www.decinergy.at & YouTUBE - [ ]

[FONT="Courier New"][ ExplanationVideo about ExpressiverRealismus ] - Painting from André KRIGAR

Adriantmax

The sun produces a different kind of heat to a hairdryer. If your going to use oil or something to even out the gloss of your painting it needs to very thin or it won’t dry properly like your experiencing. You pretty much have to wipe it all off so there is only the lightest sheen like slightly oily skin.

When I do oil painting I sometimes use a little of my alkyd medium wiped on first as a couch, but not as a final protective layer. If you can i’d wipe as much off as you can, assuming you don’t have any wet paint underneath.

I haven’t tried it with linseed but my walnut alkyd medium is usually dry to the touch the next day and can be painted over without a mild solvent medium picking up the underlying layer within 3 days.

terrycafie

Thanks all…I won’t use a hair dryer..I will us a lint free cloth…It is getting warmer outdoors…maybe an option to air it outdoors…or a fan?? …The last time I used the spray can with damar retouch varnish the painting was spotty in places…so I thought the oiling{Google it} was the answer..How soon can one use the spray??/Can it be semi-dry when using the spray??? I so apreciate you all for taking the time to respond to me….I feel so supported….Terry….

dirtysteev

In the future you should not apply oil, retouch varnish will even out sunken areas on it’s own.

lovin art

my hairdryer works fab on my hair, just not so sure Id be wanting to put it on my Oils :D …although I am of the blonde nature so Ive been known to try things at least once …:D even when I know its not right ~human nature I guess:rolleyes:

Alan P. in OC

On a sunny day (in Socal it’s almost every day) I take paintings out on my porch. I put them on a table in the sun and put a clear plastic drawer (from a place like The Container Store) upside-down over it.

The drawer keeps bugs, dust, etc. from getting in the paint, and it’s clear so the sun’s light/heat get to it. It speeds up drying immensely.

Freesail

Thanks all…I won’t use a hair dryer..I will us a lint free cloth…It is getting warmer outdoors…maybe an option to air it outdoors…or a fan?? …The last time I used the spray can with damar retouch varnish the painting was spotty in places…so I thought the oiling{Google it} was the answer..How soon can one use the spray??/Can it be semi-dry when using the spray??? I so apreciate you all for taking the time to respond to me….I feel so supported….Terry….

[FONT=Arial]The spray retouching varnish becoming spotty after it drys simply means that you need to apply another coat ( layer ) of varnish from a different direction. You should always alternate the direction you apply the varnish in with each coat ( layer ) of varnish. Gives much better coverage.[/FONT]

Solvent = Leaner Oil = Fatter Drawing is the basis of art. A bad painter cannot draw. But one who draws well can always paint. (Arshile Gorky)
                                                Alan P. in OC

[COLOR=”#1A557A]> I put them on a table in the sun and put a clear plastic drawer (from a place like The Container Store) upside-down over it.
                                                    [/COLOR]

This seems like a very good trick! I find myself now looking for
                                                    a 16 x 20 transparent drawer.

Try Target. Mine’s about 20″x24″ and about 5″ deep. Look in the closet-storage area of the store, you’ll find plenty.

Anonymous

i guess a curling iron isn’t a good idea either.:o

lovin art

i guess a curling iron isn’t a good idea either.:o

it is if your going out on a Hot Date….. :D

terrycafie

Thanks for the laugh Sid…All such good advice here from you all…..Thanks to all of you….My painting is 26×36…..So now it is sitting in the sun outside…trying to think of how to implement the plastic drawer idea .My first time on this panel…Great discussing this with all of you……..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                              • The topic ‘Using a hair dryer to accelerate drying time?’ is closed to new replies.