Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals The 365 Drawing Overdose!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 834 total)
  • Author
    DavyJ

So my new year’s resolution is to create a drawing or sketch every day for the entire year. I’ve started a blog to post my progress and hold myself accountable but it’s a lonely place so I figured I’d also post everything I’m doing here so I can create a record of my progress and hopefully receive feedback along the way to help me improve!

I’m already 5 days in so I’m going to attach the first 5 drawings I have done to this OP but after that I will make at least one post here each day with whatever it is I’ve drawn. I appreciately HUGELY all constructive criticism as I believe that will be the best way for me to improve.

I haven’t drawn for many years and when I did draw occasionally I always considered myself bad at it and I never put any real effort into getting better.

I will allow myself flexibility in what kinds of things I’ll draw but my focus at the moment is probably going to be mostly faces and figures.

I've committed to improving by drawing something every day in 2013.
        Follow my progress at my Blog and my Wet Canvas sketchbook thread.

JTMB

Welcome to the forum! This is a fun and friendly place with lots of different styles, subjects and media. Your self-challenge will be of interest to folks here and can’t help but push your skills to a higher level.

John
            C&C always welcome.

Website - www.johntubbsart.com. Art blog - www.jtubbs.com.

jacquip

Hi there, it is great to see someone push themselves with a specific challenge. I am sure you will get heaps out of it and be lots of enjoyment for us to watch and learn from as well. I really like that first portrait, such strong features, great shading and detail. The bicep sketch is great too, and fun. Look forward to following along with you.

Jacqui :cat:
                critiques and comments always welcome. I appreciate the effort of sharing knowledge.
                http://jacquipetersen.com/

Gloppus

These look good, Davy.
                    Best wishes on your resolution. I’ll be following along as much as possible.
                    I’m trying to sketch everyday as well, but mine isn’t all worth sharing.
                    I’m sure you will be an encouragement to me.

Philip on Aurora
                    (C&C Welcomed)

DavyJ

Thanks for the warm welcome guys, really kind! I hope I can encourage anybody lurking to do more drawing themselves in 2013 :)

Here’s today’s sketch. It’s from Andrew Loomis’ book on Figure drawing. Trying to improve my grasp of proportions.

Side view proportion study.

I would have uploaded the image directly to the post but it was slightly taller than 800px.

jacquip

The Andrew Loomis books are really good. I have a couple of them myself. Nice work.

critiques and comments always welcome. I appreciate the effort of sharing knowledge.

Darci Jones

nice work, esp like the first one!

Debby

Welcome to Art Journals. This is an awesome challenge. The sketches are really very good.

Per your request, I will make a comment about the second portrait. The proportions of the length of the head is off. Eyes are about the middle of the face, unless you are making a caricature or cartoon. In which case, please ignore my observation. Then again, if the person in question isn’t in proportion, I withdraw my comment. The rest of your drawings look great.

Debby
                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

DavyJ

Per your request, I will make a comment about the second portrait. The proportions of the length of the head is off. Eyes are about the middle of the face, unless you are making a caricature or cartoon. In which case, please ignore my observation. Then again, if the person in question isn’t in proportion, I withdraw my comment. The rest of your drawings look great.

Thanks for the crit! I agree 100%

I think after I’ve worked through these figure proportions from the Andrew Loomis book I’m looking at I’ll work on figuring out and remembering how to get face proportions more accurate. With that one I could feel like it wasn’t right’ but then I was too invested in detail and it’s hard to go back. The solution, I’m thinking, is to get the lines right from the start before I put in any detail and for that a solid grasp of where parts of the face should fall naturally will help a ton!

And it’s a picture from a reference of Alan Watts so definitely supposed to be a real person and not a cartoon :)

JennyMK

Great challenge Davy, only way to improve is to draw, draw, and draw! I once heard one of my art teacher say that to be a good artist you have to put in the same time and effort as opera singers and runners do, you have to practice your skills all the time to improve… I find this a very true statement! Good luck and welcome! ;)

DavyJ

I think your teacher was definitely right Jenny, in fact I think that’s the only way to get better at anything! I say practice and hard-work is almost everything. I’m not a big believer in ‘talent’.

Day #007

Figure is a bit wide which has made it look kinda stumpy in the legs but live and learn!

Debby

Yes, it’s true, practicing is the only way to get better. The observations you are making with each exercise is why practice makes for better drawings. You are utilizing each as a learning experience. What works and what doesn’t work. Great practice sketch and observation.

Debby
                                                    Guide - Fiber Art Forum

DavyJ

DAY #008

Decided to work through the ‘drawing a head’ segments of ProkoTV. These videos are absolutely fantastic so if you’re a beginner like me definitely take a look.

These are what I made kind of ‘sketching along’ with his instructions in the first two videos of the playlist. Some of them look better than others and I think to really ‘get’ this concept his suggestion to draw 100 heads from different angles would be the thing to do.

Most people (including myself) do not want to do the boring stuff like that. But it’s precisely those things we dont want to do which will give us the biggest results. If you take any field there is a a kind of curve where as people get better the amount of people at that level gets smaller and smaller. I definitely buy into the theory that those at the end of the curve (let’s call them the 1%) are the people who are willing to do the things that other people aren’t. Drawing a head 100 times is just like that… I wouldn’t be surprised at all if less than 1% of the people who have viewed his series actually did that many practices of this concept…

… including me at this moment in time…

Will I step up and join the 1%…

We’ll see… but for now here’s what I did do while following along:

jacquip

Davy you are making the effort so far towards that 1% which is great. Good sketches, it is hard to follow along with a video.

Debby

Good for you. You are well on your way to that 1%.

Debby
                                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 834 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.