Home Forums Explore Media Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux Airbrush, Acrylic and Exterior Mural Help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    thepaintedbun

Greetings all,
        I’ve been trying to search the forums and research as much as I can but I still have a few questions. Here’s my situation, I’ve been commissioned to paint a sea mural on a client’s new wooden fence (100+ sq.ft.) here in Southern Florida.
        I’ve done my fair share of murals on med to smooth interior walls before but this is the first exterior one I’ve been asked to do. Due to the uneven nature of the fence I’ve been seriously considering airbrushing it. However I’m a bit at a loss for what medium to use for color pay off and durability. :confused:

I fear thinning exterior latex to pass through an airbrush would degrade the binder to the point of no return and the paint wouldn’t stick or last??

Secondly what is the difference between fluid acrylics and manufactured airbrush acrylic paint?
        How much coverage do you feel those tiny airbrush bottles give you?
        Am I better off to just buy light body acrylic and reducer and make my own airbrush paint. I assume it would be more cost effective?

Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :wave:

jonc50

You can get fairly good coverage with the airbrush. Depending on the model, you can get quite good coverage. Some have very fine nozzles for delicate work but much of what you will use is quite heavy coverage with the nozzle opened to a degree that suits your need. I’ve used it quite often to do large works on vehicles. I’ve often used the spray bombs with similar success. You can get good coverage on large works such as on vehicles or just large clayboards. I would suggest using the acrylic reduced if necessary which you can experiment with first. Try that first would be my advice.
            Without doing any small detailing, I’d use spray bombs that you can get at a range of stores. You can get just as much detailing in that fashion without bothering with the airbrush at all. You might need to make paper masks that will give you just as much freedom as you would using the air brush.
            I’ll give you a couple of examples that are mostly done freehand with the spray bombs using your own homemade masks to suit the occasion. There is still the option of touching up some of the detailing with a small brush.

hinddee29

I imagine that this project is completed already, but I’ll give my comment anyway incase someone else is wondering stops by.

Is this new treat wood? If so it’s recommended not to paint or stain for at least a month in not longer. I say 6 months or longer for the wood to cure.

I would first tone the background. This will help seal and also save you a lot of AB paint if you’re going to use it. Not sealing it the paint will keep getting absorbed into the wood. I would also get some quarts of exterior paints and block in the colors and then us the AB for shadows, high lights.

Also depending on which AB paint you us it may not be good to use outside. Either way sealing your painting after will help it last.

Createx is probably your best bet for something like this. I don’t think Golden offers anything for exterior?

Fluid acrylics are really thin, like water. Regular AB paint is thicker. Kind of like elmers glue.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.