Home Forums Explore Media Watercolor The Learning Zone Paint vertically or not?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    pa-paw

[FONT=Calibri]I have been painting with watercolors for three years now and have always painted on a horizontal or slightly inclined surface, but I’ve noticed that several pro artists paint on a completely vertical surface. I used the word “pro” because I generally equate demos on YouTube as being made by someone who is very good and makes money from their art. I have never even attempted to paint watercolor on a vertical canvas, but I might give it a go. For those that do, what are the benefits of painting vertical? Thanks.[/FONT]

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pa-paw/
        [FONT=Calibri]Photography and Art Work

AmyLC

I don’t. I paint flat.

But..one benefit is when you paint flat, it changes your perspective of the paper, which could affect your final drawing. (in art school drawing classes, they almost always draw at an upright easel to stop this from happening).

I think it’s easier to paint loosely when you paint vertically. More room to move your arms and get your body involved. It’s also easy to step back and look at what you are doing when it’s in progress.

If you like a looser look, and you paint very wet, it will run when painting vertically. Some people like allowing it to mix in that way.

virgil carter

P, the greater the incline of the paper, the greater the impact of gravity on the painting. For gestural work, that’s a big plus. For photographic realism, that’s likely a big negative. IOW, it’s about control or the willingness to give up some control for expression.

For those who paint vertically, it often means a richer mixture and some thought as to where to make a stroke or paint passage. On the other hand, spontaneous strokes, runs and watercolor behaving in a watery fashion may be exactly what’s desired–and not achievable in other media!

Go for it!
                Sling verticality!
                Virgil

Sling paint,
                Virgil Carter
                http://www.virgilcarterfineart.com/

pa-paw

[FONT=Calibri]I think I might look around for a used floor easel and give it a try. I watched a demo of Mary Whyte (man is she good) using a floor easel and I wouldn’t describe her work as overly loose, but that was just one demo. Thanks folks for your suggestions…J [/FONT]

Barbara WC

I used to paint flat, but started using an upright easel a few years ago when I enrolled in a community college watercolor class in which the instructor wanted us to paint upright. Now I have trouble painting flat!

I enjoy the pull of gravity- the paint only goes in one direction. I admit to liking drips sometimes though.

When painting from live models and still life setups, I find an upright position gives me better accuracy when painting.

Finally, painting upright seems easier on my body, which has kept me painting on days my back and neck would rather me not paint.

Mary Whyte is a fantastic painter, one of my favorites. If you like her work, you might also check out Jean Pederson- she also paints upright, and paints very wet with amazing control. I have her Wet Glazing video and find it very informative http://www.jeanpederson.com/

Give it a try- you might be a convert as well!

hblenkle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar6zJ2pymno

Don Andrews uses it to mix colors on the paper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2tAh2M0Ung

Another style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcMXejeoodg

Dean Mitchell is great like Mary Whyte.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM69a3ntku8

Charles Reid sometimes paints vertical.

I think the best reason is being able to see the subject next to the paper. The color mixing like Don Andrews looks good.

Philippe56

All depends on the amount of water you use and the fuzing effect you want.
                                I do both depending on the picture I am doing.

Sometimes^painting vertically or nearly I need to turn the wood and picture to control the gravity.
                                Painting flat is quite the same I take the wood from a side or the other and lift it to guide evacuate the flow.

:wave: please forgive me if my english or writing hurt anyone, it's not intended for I'm only french, but tell me.
                                Philippe Severac http://philippeseverac.e-monsite.com/

virgil carter

H, I’ve painted with Don Andrews in his workshops and he is a very talented painter, teacher and colorist. Few painters can achieve the coloration that he is able to achieve. I was amazed at his demonstration of how color can be changed on watercolor paper, as long as the paint stays wet.

His book, DVD or workshops are not to be missed!

Sling paint!
                                    Virgil

Sling paint,
                                    Virgil Carter

Marcio C

I paint at a minimum 45 degree angle and more recently very often on a vertical studio easel. I agree with Amy that painting vertically helps with perspective and allows you to move your hands and arms more freely. It also improves the accuracy of your drawing, as you don’t have to look down from your subject to draw or paint, and lets you compare visually. Another advantage of painting vertically is less buckling of the paper.

I do not agree that painting vertically means less control, actually the opposite is true, because gravity dictates the direction the paint will flow, you can exercise greater control over your paint application, you can apply rich pigment that will stay in place, you can soften areas without the risk of backruns, etc. And I do not agree that painting vertically is related to looseness at all. Many watercolorists who paint in a very detailed and realistic style paint vertically: Mary Whyte, as you mentioned, is one of them, but also Paul McCormack, Ali Cavanaugh, among others.

I don’t advocate one method over the other, they are totally preferential and you can even combine approaches: Draw vertically to take advantage of perspective and comparison, but paint at a lower angle to be more comfortable with how the paint moves. All is good.

pjartwc

I started out painting on a slanted board. About ten years ago, I began studying with a professional watercolorist who always paints with the paper flat. Now I mostly paint that way. I can have wet washes that blend into each other and still some control. When I want a drippy look (like a Charles Reid) I use a block and put it at a steep incline. There’s a lot less control. It all depends on what you want.

C&C WELCOMED

Jan

dunesage

I tend to paint mostly flat because I can use a lot of water initially…and…my paintings are not very large so it helps me to work more closely with details. I tend to work more upright on scapes cause…as was said…there can be a nice gravitational flow going on with skies and water…etc. but when it comes to ‘detailing’ I work flat again. That, plus my eyesight has become poorer as I age so…
                                                I’m always hoping that it doesn’t make things look to ‘tight’ in my work. But I guess any ‘painting’ is better than not doing it at all. ‘Procrastination’ can be such an art ‘slayer’! But…I suppose that is a talk for another post…
                                                Great subject!
                                                dan

[FONT=Arial]'Seeking solitude on the timeless sands'

pa-paw

[FONT=Calibri]Thanks to everyone for your comments and thoughts. You gave me a lot to mull over. Well, now I must give some thought to what kind of floor easel would be best suited to me. I newer new they made so many configurations. Just looking at the online pictures, I’m kind of drawn to the H-frame types (sucker for the cool shape) that run around $100.00 new. They are probably over-kill.[/FONT]

virgil carter

P, some things to consider in easels, as mentioned throughout the thread:

[*]Portability: Will you be moving the easel (room to room/outdoor painting/trips, etc)? If so portability and weight may be important considerations, along with stability. Wood is often heaviest and most stable; steel may be lighter; aluminum is lightest of all, but some inexpensive aluminum easels may not be very steady.
                                                          [*]Camera Tripods: Some of the most versatile easels use camera tripods (sturdy, lightweight, collapsable) with a variety of attachments to hold the backing board and watercolor paper.
                                                          [*]Adjustments: Do you want to be able to paint at inclinations from horizontal to vertical? Do you want to be able to paint standing and/or sitting? Be sure your selected easel will accomodate the needed adjustments.
                                                          [*]Accessories: Unless you have a permanent location for your easel next to a counter or table top, painting using an easel may also mean decisions about palette size/type, brush holders, water containers, etc., ie, where you put them and how you use them.

You know…the knee bone is connected to the thight bone is connected to the hip bone, etc!

Let us know what you decide!
                                                        Sling paint!
                                                        Virgil

Sling paint,
                                                        Virgil Carter

hblenkle

I have a watercolor easle that is wood. It has three legs. It can be tilted flat or raised to vertical or anything inbetween. It is light enough to be used outdoors and works good inside. There is no name on it. Had it for maybe 15 years.

pa-paw

P, some things to consider in easels, as mentioned throughout the thread:
                                                                [LIST]
                                                                [*][B]Portability:[/B] Will you be moving the easel (room to room/outdoor painting/trips, etc)? If so portability and weight may be important considerations, along with stability. Wood is often heaviest and most stable; steel may be lighter; aluminum is lightest of all, but some inexpensive aluminum easels may not be very steady.
                                                                [*][B]Camera Tripods:[/B] Some of the most versatile easels use camera tripods (sturdy, lightweight, collapsable) with a variety of attachments to hold the backing board and watercolor paper.
                                                                [*][B]Adjustments:[/B] Do you want to be able to paint at inclinations from horizontal to vertical? Do you want to be able to paint standing and/or sitting? Be sure your selected easel will accomodate the needed adjustments.
                                                                [*][B]Accessories:[/B] Unless you have a permanent location for your easel next to a counter or table top, painting using an easel may also mean decisions about palette size/type, brush holders, water containers, etc., ie, where you put them and how you use them.[/LIST]You know…the knee bone is connected to the thight bone is connected to the hip bone, etc!

Let us know what you decide!
                                                                Sling paint!
                                                                Virgil

[FONT=Calibri]I’m definitely partial to wood and the easel will be strictly be used in my old woodshop building that is now serving as the studio. I like the smaller footprint of “H” types more than the wider footprints of the tripods. Tripods are great for portability and storage, however. Heck, someone probably makes an easel that would fit on one of my photo tripods.[/FONT]

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.