WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Structured Critiques
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 12:31 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Blue Irises

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Blue Irises
Year Created: 2004
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 9 & 1/2 x 12 & 1/2
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
flying by instinct...want to do a series like this in my lastest palette..used some flowers from ref lib as guide only for flowers structure..rest from imagination..

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
I feel it needs more green in lower right corner. so prob will add this.
focal flower is the 3rd tall one on right..
area of concern..straight line of flowers..I will prob do focal flower a little larger, add more detail..
anything else glaringly wrong before I proceed?
Many thanks
Gill
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 02:10 AM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
I feel it needs more green in lower right corner. so prob will add this.
focal flower is the 3rd tall one on right..
area of concern..straight line of flowers..I will prob do focal flower a little larger, add more detail..
anything else glaringly wrong before I proceed?
Many thanks
Gill

I agree with everything you plan for this work in progress.
I don't find the straight line or flowers objectionable but I agree one of them needs to be bigger or something to add some interest to the row. As you say you are going to add more detail and I am assuming you might mean darks? it needs some darks (in the irises)
The stems are bothering me. I want them either to continue off the top or be shortened, one or the other. This is a "static" composition (I do not mean that in a bad way) As you have opted for a "serene" static row of flowers you now need something a bit more interesting happening in the area around the flowers. One way might be to provide more "air" above them. Here is a before & after --the after being a rough photoshop of more "air":
Attached Images

Last edited by Yokovich : 01-01-2004 at 02:12 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 02:02 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
thanks Celestia..been pondering this..
Still don't like the straight line thing even with the 'air' you've so kindly demonstrated..so
looking at it again this morning, have decided to shift the flowers round, bring the second from left flower up high, give it the focus, change any others that need it and give more variation to leaf lengths so there are some going off the page..I am more comfortable with this setup..you made me re-consider and it will be better for it..thanks so much
yes I will be adding more darks to the flowers, and perhaps a hint of another colour..
watch this space!!(I won't be working on it for a few days though..)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 03:33 PM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States
gnu, you are right, my improvement is no improvement at all! so it was back to the drawing board for me to re-evaluate my assessment. I knew that this painting could use a change in its atmosphere--in the shape around the shapes..I knew that but I hurriedly landed on the idea that its more air. Now I realize it is less air! check this crop and tell me was I right about those pesky stems? This is compositionally stronger. And remember when anyone does an alteration of your work ..it is a tool for dialog only--never a solid prescription. Sorry for the initial bum steer.
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2004, 12:52 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
yup much more like it!! yes I hate treading on toes...I HAVE to try not to get so anxious about saying the wrong thing!! sigh...
Just knew I didn't prefer the flat liner..
I will definitely lift one or two flowers up higher,, extend the stems..(this also gets rid of the 'too much yellow' prob)..so thanks
I don't have the same tools to alter images..so this is MOST helpful and has let me see that this is more.how I want it to be...

and NOW I can do the background more or less the same thru all the series..what I also wanted...thanks
Gill
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2004, 06:30 PM
Immortalized
Stockholm, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
Attached is my quick take on this...
I think the white patches are disturbing the scene - they take over from the brighter parts of the flowers. Just getting rid of some of them improves a lot on the readability (less busy).
I also think it improves if you remove some of the leaves (I did so in the middle). I also brought some more yellow into the lower part of the painting to balance.

I got a bit carried away with using a dark outline on the flowers, a touch here and there maybe to enhance the major shapes/flows are in order, I went over the top. (I noticed you used this on some of the leaves and thought it could work well on the flowers too, but as I said, in this attachment I think it is too much).
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2004, 07:51 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
thanks Henrik..
I've decided to go with the stems all the way up, ...(already half decided to lose the whites on the leaves, and bring more yellow to bottom..)
I wanted a 'less realistic' look..more decorative, hence taking the stems all the way up...so not necessarily imitating HOW they grow..whereas the varied heights to me seems like I'm more imitating real life...
As long as one can see they're irises, I'll be happy..
I will be working more on darks in flowers..thanks again for you valuable imput...keeps giving me more of an idea where I'm heading with this little set..always helpful..
I'll be posting hopefully tomorrow sometime, an update, naybe even complete..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-12-2004, 01:57 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Re: Blue Irises

here's my update..I may be adding a little more to flower centres...otherwise done..I've also finished 2 others to match..tulips and orchids..
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2004, 06:16 AM
A WC! Legend
Corrales, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I much prefer your final edition of these irises. The cropping (or extending) of the flowers and leaves has transformed it. The previous yellow background (so much of it) wasn't helping your painting.

Good job,
Diane
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2004, 10:45 PM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Cutter
I much prefer your final edition of these irises. The cropping (or extending) of the flowers and leaves has transformed it. The previous yellow background (so much of it) wasn't helping your painting.

Good job,
Diane
thanks Diane..it is SOOOO good to use other artists' eyes..we just can't see very objectively at times.. I much like this changed one too..
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2004, 12:06 AM
A Local Legend
Portland OR

Hails from United States

gnu you improved it ten-fold. I note that you went for almost abstract on the stems (all the same color and tones) that seems a smart solution --also the new "variety" in heights and positions of the irises really helped it all together.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2004, 03:26 AM
A Local Legend
Levin, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by celestia
gnu you improved it ten-fold. I note that you went for almost abstract on the stems (all the same color and tones) that seems a smart solution --also the new "variety" in heights and positions of the irises really helped it all together.
cool, I'm chuffed that you think so..
I had the stems 'flat' in my mind all along..so I went with that..in the end it doesn't detract from the flowers...I am soo glad I submitted it here..
I am happy there are no straight lines in the flower arrangement any more..
thanka all for your help..
GiLL