WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Garden of Memories of WC Members
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England
Re: Sad news......

What a tragic loss to the pastel world. She will be sadly missed. My thoughts are with her family and of course, all our pastel friends...she gave us so much.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:47 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

Such sad, heart-breaking news. I wish I could have met her.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:08 PM
Anaheim, CA

Hails from United States

I only met her once, but Maggie was a very generous and sweet soul! I am so sorry to hear she is gone. May she rest in peace...

"Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Therefore, I believe we should be economical with it." —Mark Twain
http://www.WalcottFineArt.com
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 03:43 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
New Mexico & New Brunswick

One day back early in 2000, I'd stopped into Ventana Fine Art in Santa Fe to look at some paintings. I'd recently caught the pastel bug, and at the time, it was the only gallery in town showing pastels. In one of the back rooms, they had stacks of magazines for the taking, magazines they had advertised in. One of them was a little magazine called The Pastel Journal. Desperate to find out more about this wonderful medium, I took a copy, filled out the subscription card and also ordered all the back issues. After reading them and getting a lot of pastel dust under my fingernails, I decided I'd send the editor a query for an article idea I had.

The editor was, of course, Maggie Price. And thanks to her, I've had a long career with that magazine and F&W Media, which purchased it several years ago. Maggie was always encouraging as my editor. In the early days, we worked exclusively by e-mail and occasionally by phone, and it wasn't until much time and many issues had passed that I finally met her in person, even though we were separated only by a 100-mile stretch of I-40.

Maggie and Bill at the 2005 Plein Air New Mexico event.

I think I saw Maggie last a few years ago at a paintout for Plein Air Painters of New Mexico. She and her husband, Bill Canright, had parked their big RV with a fine view of Inscription Rock at El Morro National Monument. The RV gave them the only patch of shade for miles around. I painted nearby, and there was a certain quiet camaraderie that developed as we worked.

Maggie and her dedication to the art and craft of pastel will be much missed.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:12 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

I only know her books and videos but it's obvious that pastel as a medium would be much more obscure without the tremendous work she's done on behalf of all us pastel artists. Thank you Maggie and rest in peace.

David
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Veteran Member
Carol Conrad,Crossville, TN

Hails from United States

This is so sad, I was following her blog until recently, and she seemed so upbeat about her progress and beating this disease. I met Maggie a couple of times and loved her work. She will be a great loss to all in the pastel community...RIP Maggie.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Immortalized
Dublin

Hails from Ireland

I just wanted to add my condolences to the others here. Maggie was an inspiration. I knew she was unwell but thought that she was winning her battle. She posted on FB in March that she was feeling a little stronger, so I was shocked to hear of her death. My prayers for her husband and family. May she rest in peace.

"Every production of an artist should be the expression of an adventure of his soul". W. Somerset Maugham.
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

Very saddened to hear this, my thoughts go out to the family.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
British Columbia, Canada - in the beautiful Fraser Valley

Hails from Canada

Maggie will be appreciated and missed by all of us more with each passing day without her inspirational presence.

Dianna

#40   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2013, 07:51 PM
Lord of the Arts
NE Florida

Hails from United States

I was so sad when I heard this earlier today. I took a workshop with Maggie a few years ago and it was one of the best I've ever taken! She painted a lovely demo painting the first day and offered it for sale at a very reasonable cost if anyone in the workshop wanted it - and I wanted it terribly but just couldn't feel I could justify the cost after having paid for the workshop. Now, of course, I wish I had just sucked it up and bought the painting anyway. But I did buy a copy of her book which she autographed for me. That's something I'll always treasure.

Her husband Bill was along too and he was also a great guy. My heart goes out to Bill at this sad time. And I'm so sorry about Maggie as well. What a sad loss.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 01:34 AM

I took a class from Maggie last August here in SoCal. She was wonderful and followed up with you. One of the best things I have done for my life. Maggie left her mark in me and I will miss her.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 02:42 AM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

I read her books and watched her videos and learned much, but was not fortunate enough to meet her. She will be missed by many.

C & c's always welcome
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 04:49 AM

Hails from Australia

I'm sorry to read this terribly sad news. Thoughts to all her family and friends.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 07:52 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

A wonderful artist, mentor, and friend. I will miss her terribly.
Here she is with her feet in the stream...lol That was an awesome day!

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...88938752_n.jpg
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2013, 08:50 AM
Immortalized
Minnesota

Hails from Denmark

So very sorry to hear of Maggie's passing. I bought one of Maggie's "Pastel Pointers" books which helped greatly in revitalizing my art interests. I am so greatful to Maggie and all her efforts with our pastel society. She will be missed.