WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Artist Marketplace > Partner: Artspan - Web Design & Hosting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2006, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member
Central Illinois

Hails from United States
Re: Artspan vs Yessy

whoops part of my messages is gone

Being of the B. C. (Before computers generation) I am lost in a way to show and sell my art work is there any site that any of you feel are successful?
I am on yessy but resigned today my 14th day hope that I won't be charged cause that will cause a $ bank problem.

[url="http://www.boundlessgallery.com"] and they have an attractive site.
no sale so far and I have question on how many hits the nice thing is they are a small company and if you phone they answer and work on the needs
I know that they are in the plans to improve the site and I am hoping for the best www.boundlessgallery.com.

I made the mistake of thinking oh I remember yahoo had an add for $9.95 I will get a domain there cheap/ DON'T DO IT /the 9.95 add has a 25.00 fee attached then if you spend the 34.95 for the next up / grade you don't pay fee/ it takes up to 72 hours to activate well by then you have no way out no refund and no site well there is a 1 page under construction page referring you to your mail box you already had for free. I did every thing possible I filled out forms I went to help line waded thru pages of forms often repeated no service I keep ask and asking
I even tried to press the cancel button I got threatened I canceled that I would no longer be able to access. Also I would be charged renewal fees even if I canceled
In the end I call Boundless the owner of the company (Peter) answered the phone. I ask them to do what they could and help me get out of yahoo mess. Todd investigated and said no refund available I agreed to purchase the boundlessgallery web site I had built with them on a trial basis of 30 days at $ 79.00 additional dollars. Using the yahoo domain name
Now I am looking at a month if no sales are made that I will be in a $ crunch I live on SS. IT IS HARD ENOUGH WHEN YOU DON'T FEEL AS EVER EFFORT WAS WASTED I was wondering about e/ bay how are they problems and advise?
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry lucey
To clarify, yes that is true. But, he tried to get assistance from Yessy when it did not work and Yessy offered no real help. At 77 years of age it is no wonder that jerry had lost complete track that he even had another user name. He has said thank you to the person who finally paid some attention and called the solution to his attention. He just wonders why it took 6 months. It would be nice if Summer-Time could answer that one...jerry

Jerry, since the question was raised in public, you're going to get a public answer, and then this will be the end of it. We're not going to continue to beat a dead dog.

You say Yessy offered no real help. However, you asked Yessy for help once, quote:
"have tried over and over to add new address and delete the old...what is wrong here, YOUR SYSTEM JUST PLAIN DOES NOT WORK...what happens now...jerry lucey"

That was your ENTIRE email. An extremely vague description of some possible issue. Do you honestly feel anyone could have accurately deciphered what the problem may have been?

Yessy responded that same day with different ideas of what could be wrong including:
- Try clearing your browsers cache and cookies.
- Try using a different browser or even a different computer if possible.
- If it works on a different computer, check your computer for viruses.

You then simply gave up when the first suggestions of a fix did not work and instead proceeded to publicly complain.

So why did it take 6 months? Perhaps Yessy should ask you that same question. From Yessy's standpoint, it took 6 months because Yessy only learned of your continuing problem when someone brought this thread to Yessy's attention. When this thread was discovered, with you saying Yessy was broken, etc, Yessy then sent you detailed step-by-step instructions to cover every possibility. It was then that you discovered you had simply been trying to sign in with the wrong username.

Just because the first response doesn't fix your issue, don't quit and go on a rampage. To continue to complain, even after you discover you're at fault, is simply unprofessional. After all, your customers may be reading this thread as well.

Fin.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawn2
whoops part of my messages is gone

I made the mistake of thinking oh I remember yahoo had an add...

Edit post: n/m Thought you were confusing Yahoo for Yessy and was going to say they're different companies, then I saw the tiny blurb at the beginning about Yessy.

Last edited by LemonAide : 06-07-2006 at 10:22 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Yes, there is some confusion here. But, the truth is as an aging senior, I find both services lacking. Bye, and close.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2006, 12:18 AM
Devon, UK

Hails from Australia

Oh my stars I can't believe these people from these companies JUST get an account to log on here and do the hard sell!!

Lemonaide if your reply here is indicative of YESSY then NO_EY thanks!!! horrendous behaviour.
Word of mouth, word of mouth!!!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2006, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

In consideration of ANY service offering to promote your work online, you must be aware of what it is and if you are truly interested in joining. Example - they (the online service) get a big hunk of cyber space and then sell little pieces of the space to artists and allow them (the artists) to place their work in the site. The very numbers of artists then joining most insure that some sales will take place, but do these sales really have any relationship to the site or did some of those joining bring the buyers along with them. If there are just 100 members and half link to their home page, that is a lot of exposure. But the question you have to consider is does this exposure and related hits do anything for you and your growth as as an artist ?

The one item I see lacking here is a theme. Go to any art gallery, walk in and your eye will tell if they are promoting and selling work you would hang on your wall and if this is a place where your work might fit in. Cyber space is a great big blank wall with little or no relationship to the guy next door. The game is selling space not selling artwork and is this good for you.

jerry
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2006, 03:38 AM
Seattle, WA

Hails from United States

I have been an Artspan member, from almost its inception. My aim was to use it as an online brochure and it has been great for that purpose. I have had a just a few sales but have made some wonderful contacts and now have a couple of pieces in a NY gallery as a result of them seeing my work on the site. Artspan provides outstanding tech support and customer service and they are constantly seeking ways to improve. My name comes up number one in Google, due to the artspan URL. If you join only for sales, you will be disappointed,but it does get your work seen and your name out there.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2006, 05:34 PM

Hails from United States

full disclosure: I am the Artspan director. Just to clarify a couple of points (and there are many to clarify!), Artspan sites DO allow the member to set up different galleries, they do allow more than 12 images (unlimited images for the top 16.95 package). there is a limit to images that show in searches. We have 1200 member sites as of now, and to have all 50,000 images show in searches would be incredibly tedious for the visitor....better to have representative images, in our view, and let the visitor click through to the individual site.
Pricing: we are far cheaper than most. And we do a lot more advtg...for ex, we have 1/2 page displays in Art in America through the end of the year (geared to the collector!) and we spend a lot on other print and internet promotion and advertising. We are a real portal and want to bring traffic to the member sites. We spend a lot on this and member fees cover a part of that.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2006, 09:19 PM
Veteran Member
Guadalajara, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

My problem with these services is mainly the large number of members. Does it really take over a thousand members to make the system run.

I think of it as finding the most massive old warehouse possible and arranging to hang the works of a thousand plus artists on the walls.

When I open one of these massive online galleries it just turns me off, but then again I´m not a potential buyer anyway.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-02-2006, 10:07 PM

Hails from United States

Jerry, it will take a lot more than that to really make an impact. Advtg, promotion, pay per click,search engine optimization...we do a lot and spend a lot more. Is it worth paying for? Do a search on google for artists websites. Artspan is no 1 out of 26 MILLION results. and thats just one term... if you want exposure, you must be prepared to spend a little (and our rates are very low, we are certainly not 'making money'). To just put up template websites, do awaywith promotion,customer support, advtg, etc...sure, we could do it for less. If you are a serious artist, you have to know that a big part of your job is always going to be promotion....here we take over part of that for a reasonable price. Are visitors going to Artspan going to look at your work? If they are interested in the kind of work you do, they may well do that. Without being part of a portal like Artspan, there is almost NO chance of this happening. There are just too many sites
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

I've pretty well given up on these artists member services. I signed up for Yessy because someone told me they sold pretty well there. To date, nothing - not even an inquiry and very very few people even click on my gallery page. I have had my own website since 1996 and it gets decent traffic (never as much as I would like) but I've had many commissions and sales come thru it. I put in a free paypal shopping cart system - which is insanely easy to do! That helped sales a lot too. I don't think I'll be signing up for any more of these services and I'll sink that money into promoting my website

Oh, the website pays for itself with some google ads that are pretty modest and blend into my site well. If some are considering a website, they may want to take a peek.

http://www.watercolorsbypatricia.com
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2006, 02:03 PM

Hails from United States

if you are doing well with your site, if you are able to update it and, most of all, if you get traffic to it, stay with your own site....no point in having Artspan or any other service. We provide convenience, traffic, nice design, etc....but you seem to be happy with what you have and you have been up since 96, which makes you part of a very small group.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Southern California

Hails from United States

If people are not willing/or do not have the time to promote their own websites then I suppose a service like yours can be helpful. I'm very disappointed that Yessy simply does not have the traffic I expected and has not directed anything to my website either.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2006, 04:27 PM

Hails from United States

Artspan has pretty good search functions and yessy may also. We get a lot of traffic and much of that goes thru to the member sites, but depends on what kind of work they do and how much interest there is in it. An offer like artspan's is really 2-fold: 1. low cost and easy to manage template site and 2. access to traffic...but promotion is also very much in the hands of the individual member. They have to work at it also, if they dont, they will not get a lot out of it. But you do need to have your own domain name, does yessy allow for that? I see a lot of www.yessy.com/ArtistName but not www.artistname.com...you need the latter to effectively promote. Artspan has both individual domains and subdomains of artspan but I always recommend that members have their own domains.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2006, 05:05 PM

I have been looking into posting some of my work online and haven't really found what I'm looking for yet. I did look into yessy and artspan and they don't seem to offer what I'm looking for. I did find a site the other day that is brandnew called arttowngifts and they look like they might have the kind of service I was looking for. They proccess sales and do just about everything for you or at least that is what they are saying and with no sign up or monthly fees. They are just opening. Has anyone heard anything about arttowngifts.com? I filled out their application yesterday and I am hoping to hear back from them today. It almost sounds to good to be true. If anyone has any experience with them please let me know.