WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:43 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Re: QDC - Quick Dry Café - August 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie's Mum
Renaissance artists explored and used the Golden Mean a great deal .... architecture as well as painting ..... many since have based compositions, and fractions of compositions on that premise..... often referred to here as a rule of thirds ....
...... are you really discouraged from discussing Islamic art in the States?

Over here, and I suppose elsewhere too, there seems to be a youthful movement (Universities) of discouraging or openly preventing free speech .... why else have generations fought so hard for freedom if not to allow open discussion? ......
I'll get off my soapbox now!!!!!

Hey! Happy Sunday everyone

I hardly hang out with other human beings- most recent foray was out with Carol and we were all horses!

While I do see some negative stuff on Facebook or Twitter no one has targeted me for any kind of "discussion." I am known for the work I do with dogs and apparently few people recognize my plan of having the dogs harass and insult those with orange colored skin and/or yellowish fringed hair.

Few people know I do any kind of art aside from pet portraits. I am more vocal online than I am in person. I have avoided many of the protests mostly because standing for long periods of time is not in my own best health and, if I were arrested, what would they find in my microwave????

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 12:48 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sounds like Sheila and Carol had a great time.

We had a good holiday, travelled from Manitoba to the Mall of America, and then to Milwaukee when hubby realized there's a Harley Davidson museum there. We also went to Discovery World, and then headed back towards home. Along the way I got to go to a Hobby Lobby in Fargo. Wow, what a big store. I bought a few things and thought I bought a box of pastel pencils but just realized they're actually sticks. I guess I'm stuck with them lol.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 01:53 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderFrost
Sounds like Sheila and Carol had a great time.

We had a good holiday, travelled from Manitoba to the Mall of America, and then to Milwaukee when hubby realized there's a Harley Davidson museum there. We also went to Discovery World, and then headed back towards home. Along the way I got to go to a Hobby Lobby in Fargo. Wow, what a big store. I bought a few things and thought I bought a box of pastel pencils but just realized they're actually sticks. I guess I'm stuck with them lol.

You're seen parts of my country I have never seen. I've been to the second biggest Mall in America but I'm not so into malls anymore.

Hobby Lobby is a controversial store for many of us. There are none around me so I don't have to even make the choice of supporting them. Yesterday I contemplated a trip to Blick but I looked at what I NEEDED and since that remained a blank list I didn't go.

I have also bought art supplies as an "oops" and then much later found good use for them. My place is now so packed that things have a 6 months chance. If they are not used within those 6 months they get tossed or sold or handed off.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Awwwww. I was just ordering a few wood panels from Blick. It's easier for me to order them than it is to buy them and carry them home- and the cost for shipping (to me) only brings the cost up to what I would be paying at the brick and mortar store.

I clicked on the link on my AOL account to go to Blick and it was making some strange suggestions for me. When I was trying to check out I realized, apparently I had been using my AOL account when I lived in Maine and another account since I moved to Philly. It's quaint remembering what I had stated out with, mostly charcoals with a few soft pastels and some papers.
I do remember who I would hang with back in Maine.... we'd be in a chat room at about 1 or 2 am. The more experienced artists took so much time and care to teach me techniques and ways to make do with what I had. My first pastel works were done on fine grit sanding paper and fixatives were hair spray. I generally had no one human to chat with up in Maine so my evenings online talking with these other people meant the world to me. Something had happened at WC where many of the old threads were lost so I can't find many of my really old attempts back in 2007 or 8.

Funny how such a litle thing like an old address can remind us of so much. I have a piece hanging here that a soft pastels artist sent me of my place in Maine. He sent it from the UK and Carol knows him- I haven't seen him for years but I see his work daily.

I don't think I'll ever be a brilliant artists but I would be happy just knowing I helped someone smile or draw a parallel line. WetCanvas has been so good to me!

(This was a pastel Gary Northants sent me of the area behind my place in Maine.)

This was my very, very first creative attempt at my blue standard poodle, Gus. Before this I never had the courage to show my own work

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 10:47 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Sweet poodle. Are there actually blue dogs?

I didn't know there was any controversy with Hobby Lobby, I just know it was huge! lol I also got some Amazing Clear Cast, which I can't find in Canada. I found it at Michaels once and when I went to pay for it the cashier said she couldn't sell it to me. Then why was it on the shelf? And I got a Helix circle maker, again hard to find or pay a lot more, and a drawing board since I somehow got paint on the board I was using.

We also stopped at a Tuesday Morning and I found some cheap stamps. I love using stamps on polymer clay.

#51   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 12:10 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

There is also a lot of use of pattern in Celtic, Anglo-Saxon and Viking art. I don't know whether they linked patterns to number sequences specifically.

Here is a link to a British Museum website article that tries to explain some of the patterning of Anglo-Saxon Art.

https://blog.britishmuseum.org/decod...glo-saxon-art/

Glad you had a nice holiday Michelle. I have never visited that part of the U.S. I haven't spent much time in Manitoba either. It has only ever been to pass through Winnipeg by car, Greyhound bus or train. Now that I am retired I should take a big cross-country road trip with my paints and easel. That would be kind of awesome. "Cape Scott to Cape Spear". I can just imagine my wife's reaction.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Michelle, I responded in private message. No reason to muddy up the forums!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2019, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinS
There is also a lot of use of pattern in Celtic, Anglo-Saxon and Viking art. I don't know whether they linked patterns to number sequences specifically.

Here is a link to a British Museum website article that tries to explain some of the patterning of Anglo-Saxon Art.

https://blog.britishmuseum.org/decod...glo-saxon-art/

I can always tell when I'm over tired, I start a project and say "Good enough" and it's a mess. Last night I couldn't find my protractor and decided to go "by eye". Fortunately it was only in pencil and I can start again. (I didn't do any of my preferred prepping. I was going to force my way through!)

I do like using cradled wood as my support but one kind I keep buying by mistake (on line) is "toothed" but not in a way that lets me lay down color easily. I've discovered that I like doing a "skim coat" of clay and then cover this with clear gesso. The clay can be tinted any color and then the clear gesso, I don't know why but I like the way it holds the paint. I'm some kind of a geek but I'm among my own kind.

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 09:58 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

That would be quite the trip Colin, might need about a month to do it. lol

I like seeing places but not crazy about the travelling part. Every time I got out of the truck my poor legs were so sore and stiff. At least we managed to go at a time when there was nothing to pick in the garden.

Hubby is thinking we might go to Vancouver next year, with stops along the way.

#55   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-21-2019, 06:09 PM
A Local Legend

Michelle...those sore legs sound a little like ‘peripheral neuropathy!.."..maybe you should discuss it with your Dr.....hope it isn’t but check it out!...
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:19 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Or just getting old. lol My legs have been pretty sore all summer from crouching in the garden.

#57   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2019, 10:19 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Michelle, if you can tolerate them, many people find compression socks help with that tired leg feeling. Right now everything is "compression". I had received all kinds of compression articles to review for a company I used to write for. I found the feeling to make me claustrophobic like I could not get them off quickly enough but my own pain issues (also not peripheral neuropathy) create an exaggerated pain sensation from nerves that have been damaged in the past. Compression gloves were helpful for my hands but I found I had been removing them in my sleep.

I've been trying to prep a support for my "creation" dealing with the golden mean. In the past I had purchased "prepped" cradled wood however, I hated the prep. To get around it and not discard perfectly good boards I do like coat of modeling clay mixed with whatever color. Wait several days for that to dry well, sand it, paint it with clear gesso (discovered by my fellow artists here), allow it to dry, sand it again, clean off the dust and use one more coat of clear gesso. In the future I will only purchase supports with surfaces I like. I may be finding inexpensive cradled wooden supports but with the clay and the gesso and the labor it might be just as cheap to spend a bit more on the right support right upfront. But truth be told, I love the sensation of the clay, paint, clear gesso. It feels a bit like painting a fresco- on slightly wet plaster.

Then I make a mistake and it all is naught. Not as bad as with inks where there is no erasing but close. I still restart but I can paint over the issue instead of tossing it all.

I've been feeling a bit ill so I wasn't painting but I was doing research of patterns and doodling. I start out with well intentioned plans and then I end up playing with colors....

But I promise! I'm creating a masterpiece!

Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2019, 06:56 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

How big? Love that pink in the centre!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2019, 09:42 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

I see buildings in there.