WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2019, 06:42 AM
North East England.

Hails from England
Re: August 2019 Different Strokes Challenge

It's very sad when a pet we love commits acts of (seeming) violence ... how to reconcile our reactions to the event, that is the question!!

So sorry for you Christel

When I'm annoyed or upset, I tend to garden rather that paint .... it's soothing, whereas painting is often frustrating, so maybe that's the emotion I should try to harness!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2019, 12:07 PM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Thanks Maureen. During the day time I like to go for a walk until I cool down - it doesn't always work
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2019, 01:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Merri, re: the dolls. They were not meant to represent Halloween. They were from fotos taken in a WW2 bombed-out German toy factory. Disgust? Despair? Anger? Fear? No just dolls, collateral of war. A subset of my "War is Hell" series.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2019, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Christel,
So many of my clients are horrified being told that their dogs are, in fact, dogs. They mistakenly attribute human qualities to their dogs and cats and are so surprised when their dogs and cats and other pets act like the predators they were born as!

I understand that the loss of those birds is a loss to you but your dog was doing, as you seem to understand, exactly what he thought he was supposed to! He has no idea why you'd be pleased he killed a snake but not pleased that he killed some delicious McNuggets!

One of the big scandals at the dog park this summer has been with an older (idiot) man who insists on bringing his chihuahua into the large dog park regardless of what types of big dogs are in there. He has also indicated that I should be sued for failing to post that greyhounds may view chihuahuas as prey and chase them. Dogs go hunting- we go to the grocery store. Neither is an act of aggression.

My standard poodle would chase down children with the same intent as your dog had for the chickens. I kinda wanted to find out how barbecued child tasted anyway.

-Helen Keller
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast
Adelaide area South Australia

Hails from Australia
plRe: August 2019 Different Strokes Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_hobbyist
Merri, re: the dolls. They were not meant to represent Halloween. They were from fotos taken in a WW2 bombed-out German toy factory. Disgust? Despair? Anger? Fear? No just dolls, collateral of war. A subset of my "War is Hell" series.

Hi old_hobbyist , yes I read that in your description, such a shame that war did take a toll on so much and many.

But of course, differences in what and how we view things are different. Dolls represent babies, and therein came out the emotion for me. sadness!
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 12:48 AM
Standerton, South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Sheila - I do know dogs are dogs, But they have to learn our rules. On the farms where we stay , if the dogs attack and kill livestock they get shot!There's a difference if you fight and kill for food or supremacy, but an overweight dog doesn't need to kill off 8 roosters at 1 go.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 03:32 PM

8 roosters; that's hard. And you can't really know what you could have done to prevent this kind of thing, since it takes only one moment for the worst to happen.

Dogs (and little humans) both need to be taught what is OK and what is not. Some breeds are more or less teachable... we have friends who had three dogs, the big one kept attacking, and finally killed one of the little ones... as much as they loved that dog, and tried to fix things.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 09:51 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

I am back after driving almost 9 hours today from our week stay in Southern Oregon. I did see a few really interesting emotions displayed while driving.

Anyway, Crater Lake, OR was a "Joy" to see.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2019, 10:35 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Wow! That is eye popping, Mayfly!

I have a question about the palette. Do we get 4 colors plus black and white or are black and white to be considered colors like all the others.

Thanks
Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

Sheila - Thanks for asking the question. Black or white or both would be included in the 4 colors. Ah, but you can use less than 4 colors if you desire (ie just black and white).
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 03:28 AM

As I was thinking about the emotions and an image, I came up with an idea, but it's for fear and the image is actually invoking fear in me - I'm not sure I could even paint it... The image itself isn't really "fear", though I think it would be an normal reaction. Anyway, would that sort of thing qualify - seems like it would make the challenge too loosey goosey? E.g love, I love my daughter I'll paint her...
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 06:05 AM
WC! Guide
Germany

Hails from Germany

Carl, I'm wondering if the challenge would be focused on painting your emotion or to evoke an emotion to the viewer?

As an example:
to paint a clown: It evokes to me and to some others different emotions
1. Happiness (Probably to no-one)
2. Sadness (more like pity, but you can do a sad face on it)
3. Disgust (for sure, specially to the pedophiles dressed on it)
4. Fear (To many people, I think they are pathetic)
5. Surprise (seldom, but you can paint a surprised face too. What is surprising is how they allow them next to children)
6. Anger (is the natural evolution of #3)

To me is a combination of all above except 1.
Quote:
"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 06:08 AM

That is very informative exciting challenges.
Hey, Guys, I am an Art lover and I always excited to explore new arts and paintings. I also admire those peoples who upload there own art online. Also, I always download smartphone wallpaper for my collection.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 06:45 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome Kollerethan and hope you will join us in this challenge.

Great image that Carl, have a happy holiday..... hope you didn't meet any road-rage on the journey!

My advice to all would be ' Don't overthink this' .... if you feel you'd rather paint happiness and joy, choose an image ( in your head, heart or from the RIL) that says that to you ..... it's up to the viewer to decide what their reaction is.
Just go with the flow, concentrate on your own senses!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Washington

Hails from United States

Good advice Maureen. In very simple terms, I want to try and paint how I feel. And as of now, I have no clue what that will be.