Home Forums Explore Media Sculpture Mold Making Support Shell Mistake *HELP*

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    OzModern_Ryan

So, I’m making a 2-part silicon mold.
        I added registration keys, and didn’t plan it
        accurately.
        I added the support shell (SmoothOn AIR)
        and now just realized I won’t be able to remove
        The shell. See pic here:
        https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqdowh5w9az6crh/IMG_2043.JPG?dl=0

My only thought is to use a dremel to cut down a few of these
        To see if that will allow me to remove.

Anyone with experience know… is this a MAJOR screw up??
        Thoughts? Better ideas to fix?

Thank You

ArtsyLynda

What are the Orange things, registration keys? I’ve never seen them done that way.

I would try sliding a strong, flat tool (like a wax tool or HEAVY clay knife) between the layers of rubber on the edge and try to pop it open enoigh to break the seal. Work it around the edge until the two halves are separated. Then I’d use a blunt tool strong enough to be hammered on and put that against the rubber in those nipples. Tap with a mallet or hammer to push it out of the hole. You may need to cut off the end and/or run a flat tool
            around the rubber to break the seal. It may take some time, but you should be able to free your piece that way.

The way I’ve always made molds and seen them made (by my bronze and reesin foundries) is to put a ridge of clay around yoursculpture at the parting line (where the parts of the mold come together). You can but plastic buttons, acorn nuts, etc., in this clay to be your reistration keys.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1A7ZjTsx8&list=PL5RszJ51iadxFcQ_laZ6kBsNLqE7rsSho&index=4&t=0s

This Smooth-on video shows you exactly how to make a mold. The acorn nuts are the registration keys. I make my mold boxes out of foam-core, duct tape and clay. I seal all theseamsinside and outwithduct tape, then smooth plastilene over the tape sealing the corners and bottom edges. I use an Exacto knife to cut them open, then reseal as above and do what is shown in the video to pour the second side.

To make the mother mold,do what you did but without nipples. If the mold is large enough to need them, drill holes through the edges (when dry). Or you can wrap it with a heavy duty rubber band or a cut bicycle inner tube. Here’s a tutorial using the mold material you used:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4BIs9vCGk

Hope this helps!

OzModern_Ryan

These keys were made from small shot cups.

I am working on the front half of the mold now.
                The plan is to place the registration keys properly this time,
                remove this shell and mold. Then hopefully I can get the model out
                easily from the other half. If not, I will try something similar to what you
                are suggesting… trying to slowly pry it off the mold.

Thank You!

What are the Orange things, registration keys? I’ve never seen them done that way.

I would try sliding a strong, flat tool (like a wax tool or HEAVY clay knife) between the layers of rubber on the edge and try to pop it open enoigh to break the seal. Work it around the edge until the two halves are separated. Then I’d use a blunt tool strong enough to be hammered on and put that against the rubber in those nipples. Tap with a mallet or hammer to push it out of the hole. You may need to cut off the end and/or run a flat tool
                around the rubber to break the seal. It may take some time, but you should be able to free your piece that way.

The way I’ve always made molds and seen them made (by my bronze and reesin foundries) is to put a ridge of clay around yoursculpture at the parting line (where the parts of the mold come together). You can but plastic buttons, acorn nuts, etc., in this clay to be your reistration keys.

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1A7ZjTsx8&list=PL5RszJ51iadxFcQ_laZ6kBsNLqE7rsSho&index=4&t=0s[/url]

This Smooth-on video shows you exactly how to make a mold. The acorn nuts are the registration keys. I make my mold boxes out of foam-core, duct tape and clay. I seal all theseamsinside and outwithduct tape, then smooth plastilene over the tape sealing the corners and bottom edges. I use an Exacto knife to cut them open, then reseal as above and do what is shown in the video to pour the second side.

To make the mother mold,do what you did but without nipples. If the mold is large enough to need them, drill holes through the edges (when dry). Or you can wrap it with a heavy duty rubber band or a cut bicycle inner tube. Here’s a tutorial using the mold material you used:

[url]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4BIs9vCGk[/url]

Hope this helps!

Rubber is stretchable somewhat so maybe you can get the shell off. Also, usually the registration points are covered but yours are exposed so you could push on them in as you are prying open.

When you get the other shell off, you could go ahead and destroy your original and pull it out the shell that way. Then you would be able to get to your rubber in the shell and remove more easily. After that, I would cut down the registration points at least half or more of what they are now. Also, use Vaseline with a brush all over the interior of your mother mold and this will help the rubber mold to pull out more easily next time.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]~Sculpturedolls
                [FONT=Arial Narrow][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Keep your heart free from hate, your mind from worry, live simply, expect little, give much, fill your life with love,scatter sunshine, forget self, think of others. -Norman Vincent Peale

[FONT=Georgia]My website My Blog Join me on Facebook

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.