WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2019, 06:45 PM

Hails from United States
Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Source material, from a class project , brought in by teacher
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 08:38 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sorry, I thought I'd uploaded the greyscale - oops!

We can see from your source ref that the tones and colours are much softer - I'm sure yours will be too when done!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2019, 10:08 AM

Hails from United States

Progress
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 04:36 PM

Not a great cell phone photo, what with the christmas lights serving as a back drop, but you get the idea.

Acrylic on ACM panel
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Coming along nicely Olympiada. I really like the work of the California Impressionists. There is a very different light in California and they captured that really well.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2019, 10:20 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

That's looking good, Jaebeam.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 12:41 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Hi! I've been chatting a bit with Maureen- she seems safe in the inks forum so when I noticed she also moderated the acrylics I was thrilled!

I rarely show anyone my acrylic work because I don't know how any of it's done until recently when I've been watching many videos and subscribing to magazines. Now I know how I can spend ALL my money when I win the lottery!

Anyway, when I saw the older dog as one of the first works on this thread I thought I might fit in here to start. As with that dog, many people tell me my dog has a "black coat". Now, he's a brindle and it's easy to see when he's grown out but to the lazy viewer, he looks "black". I use natural lighting and a good camera to catch him in his best light! But he's my dog so he can be pink with purple polka dots if I so decide!

I also attempted to upload the reference photo. It's really, really big so I'm going to try to rework that without losing anything. The photo that did upload was taken with my phone and, while there's no resizing needed I kind of hate the limitations of phone cameras. (The support is a 12 inch square wooden panel. I have NO idea why it was gessoed so thickly. Looks like there's a body buried under there!)

I've been working on the painting for awhile. I live in a tiny dwelling and it's frustrating taking everything out and then needing to put everything away each night! (I need hints on keeping a palette fresh for a few days so I don't have to toss paint nightly!)

Thanks so much for having me along!
Sheila aka RoadLessTaken

-Helen Keller
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

My apologies. I didn't realize that I had the right software on this computer to instantly resize the reference photo! I'm very relieved though because I always feel like people cannot make out head nor tail or my work without a reference!

Sheila aka RoadlessTaken

-Helen Keller
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 07:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Greenfield, Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Sheila,

Nice progress. I've found the people in this forum to be very supportive - and they give fantastic advice.

Can you tell us more about this work-in-progress? Is that a panel or stretched canvas? I see texture...what are you using?

Thomas
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast
Waterford, NY

Hails from United States

Great start, Sheila!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 09:55 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

JaeBeam - that's looking good - a little work yet for the sky perhaps?

Sheila - glad you took the plunge!
Good start to this portrait - head looks well-proportioned and that's important! .. and yes, he can be a myriad of colours if you wish!
I think, if I'd known, I might have advised you to sand the panel after that thick gesso ( 2 or 3 coats of slightly thinned gesso would give a smoother surface).
Be careful with the tones so the head can be contrasted with the b/g - other areas may have lost edges where the tones of subject and b/g are similar - that's fine, helps to 'anchor' the subject.

Check the Information Kiosk here and the Classroom Index for various classroom threads on different techniques etc ...... the beauty of those is that apart from the host showing the hows and whys, the members also show their struggles and achievements!

PS - in the Inf. Kiosk there's also a 'Tips thread' with info about palettes.
Easy to make a 'Stay-wet' with a plastic food box, some damp kitchen towel to act as a moist reservoir, and some greaseproof paper as a membrane for placing some colour and mixing ....... if your place is particularly warm, the box can be put in the fridge.
Also in the IK, a sticky thread three down has links to useful threads for palettes, brushes, paints etc.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 02-22-2019 at 10:06 AM.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Thank you all for supportive comments!
I know when I started on this support (12 by 12 inch cradled wood) I wanted to play with a new medium I had just bought- back months ago. I had bought modeling paste and was going to make something with depth. I had roughly gessoed the board but, because it was only going to be a "play piece" I didn't care.

As I was looking for a reference photo that had a lot of depth and movement I saw this one of my dog. I loved how the wind blew his hair over his eye and I just started to play with that. So far, I've only been using my regular acrylics and a few heavy bodied ones (which i bought before I knew what heavy bodied meant!)

I've tried to make myself do some work with perspective and color blending but I've really messed those up with serious mistakes mixing paints or even having the entire layer of paint about slide off the support!

I just keep coming back to this piece (which is duly stored in the microwave away from curious cat feet!) because I find it very relaxing and I clearly remember that day sitting with my dog.

(I'm also reading through the billions of pages of info on this forum, of all the questions I have and will quickly forget as soon as I read them! Seems like we all struggle with the little tricks of keeping paint wet and costs down!)

Thank you all so much!
Sheila

-Helen Keller
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 06:09 PM

Hails from Canada

I have this underpainting finished of this bellowing stag. After he's finished, I plan to experiment with some wood stains on the background to enhance the different woodgrain.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLessTaken

(I'm also reading through the billions of pages of info on this forum, of all the questions I have and will quickly forget as soon as I read them! Seems like we all struggle with the little tricks of keeping paint wet and costs down!)

Thank you all so much!
Sheila

Yes, the people here are very supportive. I'm new to acrylics myself so I completely understand the overwhelming amount of information that's here...lol.

I bought a stay wet palette but I don't use the paper that comes with it. I paint in short amounts of time, whenever I can grab an hour here or there. I actually cut a package of styrofoam plates into quarters and use those as mini palettes. If I'm using more than one color, I just use a different "quarter" for each color. When I'm done, I just set the little quarters inside the stay wet palette. It stays moist for a long time and no wasted paint. For larger amounts, I use little condiment cups with lids from the dollar store. I use double faced duct tape and attach a little square of sponge to the lid (on the inside), keep the sponge moist ( I use a spray bottle) and the paint will stay moist as well for weeks or longer....Using both of these methods, I have very little wasted paint.

Your dog looks great so far!
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2019, 11:26 PM
Veteran Member
Philadelphia

Hails from United States
Thumbs up Re: WOYE (What's On Your Easel) 2019

Oh good ideas, Lorraine! I am the queen of the yogurt cup cover! I have lots of stuff I use for laying out paint and keeping it however, I have 3 cats who think all things belong to them. Along with the cats my apartment is tiny. I have a single work surface for all things.

I have construction guys coming Monday to repair water damage so ALL my art supplies must be packed away. I do store works in progress in the microwave and things are kept in the fridge. Before moving to Philly I had an enormous house in rural Maine. I swore I'd never be greedy for space again.... changed my mind!

Thanks so much Lorraine!
Sheila

-Helen Keller