WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia
Re: Derwent Lightfast

Derwent have just announced on Twitter that the range will be expanded to 72 colours this year. Here's the colour chart: https://media.accobrandspartner.com/a/365451

I'm still on the fence about getting them, but I'll wait for a price for the full range sets. If they're more than the Caran d'Ache Luminance pencils I won't bother with them.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2019, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

Thank you so much, I couldn't find it anywhere for some reason !

Derwent products are a hit or miss for me but I am really liking these so far. The colors are very well-suited for what I do and I have yet to experience any of the problems I've had with their pencils in the past. Thanks to these and Luminance I started using CPs again.

Also, while I ordered a number of colors from both brands, I didn't get any color duplicates (this may be a bad or a good thing , though)
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2019, 06:30 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom

Thanks very much for posting this, Rebecca. I was vaguely wondering when we'd hear something about the expanded range.

I dislike all Derwent's other dry pencil lines but I bought some Lightfasts (open stock) and have been using them together with my other brands, and I actually like them. They are on the softer side, but without being dry and dusty like the Drawing range.

I also agree with Vanity, there are some Derwent Lightfast colours which make great additions to other ranges like Luminance.

The new 72 colour chart looks more well-balanced. Missing bright pinks, but that's the same with Luminance and Museum. There's obviously no way to make fully lightfast pencils in those hues right now.

The price is an issue for me too, so I'll just continue to collect the colours a couple at a time, assuming they will be available open stock.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2019, 02:40 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

Definitely sounds like it would be worth adding these to the toolbox especially if they allow for subtle difference in colours! Thanks for the heads-up!
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2019, 10:46 AM

Having used the currently available range for a few projects now I can't say I'm overly enthusiastic about the extra colours

They don't provide anything extra than what I currently have with a combination of luminance, polychromos and lightfast; and I have noticed that they are prone to breakage when sharpening to a fine point in comparison to my other pencils
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2019, 03:35 AM

Hails from European Union

More colors are always better :-).

Now it would be interesting to know which colors are a good complement to the Luminance.
How are the Lightfast from the hardness to the other pencils?
Are they even?

I've already considered sorting my artist by degree of hardness.

I've got everything, some are totally soft, medium or a little harder.
And one was double, the missing one I had bought as a Procolor and was still hardier than the harder artists.
Otherwise, I like the artist very much, it's just disadvantageous that I can not remember which hardness of which color.
What I find strange, too, is that Derwent gets the water-soluble pencils better.
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-03-2019, 07:12 AM
Pennsylvania, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks Artdragon86 for that color chart! Where did you find it?
I’ve used the current Lightfast range for several months now and I find myself reaching for them whenever possible, with the limited colors. They are soft so I can’t say they are the best choice for sharp detail - for that sometimes Polychromos are best but this line has surpassed, in my opinion, the wonderful Luminance. Caran d’Ache does some amazing things with craftsmanship and attention to detail; for instance, they’ve worked to make, as much as possible, the core of their pencils consistent between colors in hardness and texture. Amazing. There’s a somewhat wider range between the colors in texture in the Lightfast range but for the most part they go down SO smoothly and with great opacity. After using Lightfast, Polychromos seems too hard and translucent and almost as if they are lacking in pigment. Luminance seems almost chalky - and there’s dust. Only Pablo, Caran d’Ache’s oil based line, comes close but the lightfastness there is rather poor - only about 16 of their pencils have the highest (3 star) rating. Of course all the lines work together well but Lightfast is a wonderful addition and may soon take the top spot, especially since they will expand to 100 colors. They are talking about release in July. Can’t wait!!
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 02:11 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macarona
More colors are always better :-).

Now it would be interesting to know which colors are a good complement to the Luminance.

I only own a small selection of Lightfast so I don't know all the colours that would be a good complement, but here's a few of the ones I have and use which are different from anything in the Luminance range:

'Nightshade' - an extremely deep dark purple, great for adding instant darks.
'Oyster' - an almost-white I use for blending the highlights of pink and purple objects (I don't use blending solutions or blender pencils, so pale blender colours are useful to me).
'Racing Green' and 'Spruce Green' are two natural-looking bluish greens which are suitable for traditional botanical work - nothing comparable in the Luminance range, which only has very unnatural-looking blue greens.
'Forest' - a black-green which I use (sparingly) for instant darks in botanicals.

Those are the ones I like because they are particularly suitable for traditional botanical work. They are all quite dull/natural type colours though - if you use mostly bright colours I don't think they'd be much use.

It's interesting to hear different opinions from folk who've been using Lightfast for a while now. I just use them as add-on colours to my main sets (either Luminance or Polychromos) and they are fine for that.

http://claudiasartlife.blogspot.co.uk/
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 02:43 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Poland

@KaySilver agree with you 100% I don't have that many colors either but it seems like we got almost the same ones

Another color I need to mention is 'Arctic' - an almost white, bluish color.

On the other hand, there are some colors that may not end up being included in the Lightfast range that are available in the other one ; from what I see there may not be a proper 'Spring Green' type of color in there (there is one in Luminance), there are also colors like 'Olive Brown 10%' that I also don't see a close match of in the Derwent chart. Of course, this is still not 100% confirmed, so we will have all the answers when Derwent release all colors.

On a semi-related note, I must say that I felt conned after buying Luminance 'Grey Blue'. It's a nice color but it's not grayish enough for me to deserve its name ^^.
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:08 AM

Hails from European Union

Very good, I like the Polychromos very much and if the Lightfast are just a little softer than they are perfect for me.

Slightly softer pencils are a good addition.
I'll wait until the big set comes out.
And then make it dependent on the price whether the Lightfast or the Luminance mainly and then expand with the other.

It is such a pity to have these beautiful colors of the artists and then not to be able to hang up the drawn images, without fear if it faded after some time.
With the Polychromos I always miss some colors.
Stay calm you can not protect all people from mistakes they make. They should also be allowed to learn from mistakes and gain experience. Especially financial mistakes. Keep calm, you can not prevent that there are not only reasonable suggestions from people. Especially on the subject: only try and how long. Important topic: Please Save the Internet, that we can still share a lot of knowledge. # No articles 11 and 13!!!
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenESP
So what does that mean... what they have out now is the 'sure to fade' product?

no... their pencils are in fact among the most lightfast.. but they had a very short range of colors for those. They are expanding the range of colors and rebranding it.
"no no! You are doing it all wrong, in the internet we are supposed to be stubborn, inflexible and arrogant. One cannot simply be suddenly reasonable and reflexive in the internet, that breaks years of internet tradition as a medium of anger, arrogance, bigotry and self entitlement. Damm these internet newcomers being nice to to others!!!"

"If brute force does not solve your problem, then you are not using enough!"
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 02:06 PM
A Local Legend
Living on the Island....

Hails from Canada

Those sound exactly like the kind of colours I would find useful! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaySilver
I only own a small selection of Lightfast so I don't know all the colours that would be a good complement, but here's a few of the ones I have and use which are different from anything in the Luminance range:

'Nightshade' - an extremely deep dark purple, great for adding instant darks.
'Oyster' - an almost-white I use for blending the highlights of pink and purple objects (I don't use blending solutions or blender pencils, so pale blender colours are useful to me).
'Racing Green' and 'Spruce Green' are two natural-looking bluish greens which are suitable for traditional botanical work - nothing comparable in the Luminance range, which only has very unnatural-looking blue greens.
'Forest' - a black-green which I use (sparingly) for instant darks in botanicals.

Those are the ones I like because they are particularly suitable for traditional botanical work. They are all quite dull/natural type colours though - if you use mostly bright colours I don't think they'd be much use.

It's interesting to hear different opinions from folk who've been using Lightfast for a while now. I just use them as add-on colours to my main sets (either Luminance or Polychromos) and they are fine for that.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:45 PM
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I have tried Derwent pencils and do like them and mostly however just for sketch books and am not working with any other medium right now. Wondering what papers too use with the Derwent pencils. I am currently working with Watercolor pencils and recently noticed these Light fast.

Last edited by Earth Whisper : 02-04-2019 at 08:50 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-07-2019, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColourwithaU
Thanks Artdragon86 for that color chart! Where did you find it?

I can't remember for sure, but I think it was in their original Tweet. I follow Derwent on Twitter and they Tweeted that they were bringing out the new colours this yeah, along with an image and a link. I'm 90% sure this was the link.

It will be interesting to do a comparison between the CDA Luminance and the Derwent Lightfasts and see if there are any unique colours in either range. I might buy a few open stock (though I really should be getting rid of pencils, not buying more )
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2019, 12:06 AM
Lord of the Arts
Finland

Hails from Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by artdragon86
Derwent have just announced on Twitter that the range will be expanded to 72 colours this year. Here's the colour chart: https://media.accobrandspartner.com/a/365451

I'm still on the fence about getting them, but I'll wait for a price for the full range sets. If they're more than the Caran d'Ache Luminance pencils I won't bother with them.
Looks nice.