WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2014, 12:58 PM
Veteran Member
Molalla, oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Show me your Studio or Work Space!

Ok Here are some pics. Thanks for the comments. I really love my space!
Attached Images

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:20 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Concrete Jungle where dreams are made of

Molly - your space is like an artist's playground!! I LOVE it!

Old hobbyist - wow, thanks for sharing! So many great tools AND art tools
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

I paint mostly in pastels. My studion has more stuff in it now, it was pretty new here. Note the shelves are made from rain gutters. Nice that you can put framed paintings, frames, bottles, clip on art, etc. They are inexpensive and easy to hang. No need to paint them, they come in off white or brown. Maybe more colors. Just make sure to get the kind that the braces go underneath. My hubby bought some with the brace on top and it limits the space between hangers so limits the size of space or overlapping frames, etc. Not as practical.

I love seeing the studios, thanks for sharing.
Winston Churchill
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Hi, Jamie, I love your studio. Nice to see it here.
Winston Churchill
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2014, 07:55 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Jo, I like some of your creative storage solutions! I firmly believe that everything in a studio has to serve double duty, and if it can be on wheels, even better!

Thank you for your kind words about my sunny "summer studio" upstate. Now I've moved back downstate for the winter --- not nearly as spacious. Not as many windows. Lighting is also not as good. But when it comes to space, we take what we can get, right? It took me a full week to reorganize, but I am up and running again:

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2014, 11:22 PM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

I LOVE looking at everyone's studios! It's so great. Maybe my favorite thing to do.

Jamie, your studio is so incredibly clean and organized, I don't know what to make of it!

I have been known to keep mine very neat and tidy myself and people have said the darnedest things to me about it -- almost like what I have said to you! Maybe because yours is neater than mine? I'm not sure, but I have always felt strange when people have said those things, like they were almost making fun of me or something, but now I wonder if it's because they are a little jealous because I wish I was able to keep mine as wonderful as yours!

My studio is in a 2-car garage and hence, I can not keep things as pristine as I would like it to be, but if it were totally enclosed (as it has been before in other spaces I've had) I would keep it like yours.

I noticed your glass-door paint cabinet and I covet it very much. You might like my brush cabinet. I bet you would. It's on the first page of the thread.

And I really love what you have done/made use of the credenza. Beautiful and well done!
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-12-2014, 09:07 AM
Gloucestershire, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Here's my lovely studio - I'm so grateful to have a wonderful space after years of working out of my spare room.

The space is roughly divided into watercolour & drawing work at one end, acrylics and mess in the middle and office and admin space at the other end. Out of shot, opposite the drawing board is a plan chest, browsers and storage.

I put screens up to display work for my Open Studio, so the space can double as exhibition space, and it's just big enough to take a few students if I want to teach.

BTW it's only this tidy during Open Studio!

#24   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-16-2014, 04:04 PM

This is my setup, all new in my room here in stockholm, sweden. Just fitted the daylights, a pair of 4 ft Osram Colorproofs, CRi 98!

The Soltek is resting on a drafting board that can be tilted vertically, and as luck would have it, a few days ago I saw this in our stairwell! I put my contact details on it, the note was taken down, but I spoke to a woman who also lives here, and she had asked around, no one knew whose it was, and it had been htere close to a month. It had a "this item is a fire hazard. it will be moved on the 3 of November" stuck on it. Tonight, if its still there I'm taking it. I'm not risking this beautiful thing ending up in the junkyard because some ******* couldn't be bothered to contact me!

#25   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyczar
I LOVE looking at everyone's studios! It's so great. Maybe my favorite thing to do.

Jamie, your studio is so incredibly clean and organized, I don't know what to make of it!

I have been known to keep mine very neat and tidy myself and people have said the darnedest things to me about it -- almost like what I have said to you! Maybe because yours is neater than mine? I'm not sure, but I have always felt strange when people have said those things, like they were almost making fun of me or something, but now I wonder if it's because they are a little jealous because I wish I was able to keep mine as wonderful as yours!

My studio is in a 2-car garage and hence, I can not keep things as pristine as I would like it to be, but if it were totally enclosed (as it has been before in other spaces I've had) I would keep it like yours.

I noticed your glass-door paint cabinet and I covet it very much. You might like my brush cabinet. I bet you would. It's on the first page of the thread.

And I really love what you have done/made use of the credenza. Beautiful and well done!

I do love your brush cabinet, and I commented on it after you posted it. Very cool! The glass door cabinet in my post was made by my brother in law. When he moved to California, he didn't want to take it with him. I loved it and he gave it to me. I used it to store small still life pieces for a long time, but recently, due to a serious SSS deficiency (Studio Storage Space), I packed all of those away in a box and used it for my small jars and containers of acrylics. Here it is with the door opened.

I bought the other cabinet at a flea market. It was made from an old window frame. I loved the rustic look and used it for a large still life painting, then for storage of the larger paint containers. I refill the small ones from these, so I have the small ones to travel with and take out plein air painting:

Sorry about that blurry image.

My studio is rarely as clean as in that previous photo. When I reorganize I try to take a photo so I can remember how nice it looks when it's straighted up! But within just a couple of days, it became the usual mess that it is now. Nearly everything is on wheels and is constantly moved around. This is how that area of the studio looks today. Very different!
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2014, 01:55 AM
A Local Legend
Joshua Tree, California

Hails from United States

Jamie, I didn't realize that you you commenting on my brush cabinet on the previous page because you had a different studio space, so I thought it was a different person, but now I see it was you.

Even though you don't have as many windows in your new space, I like the set-up better, but I can understand you missing the light from the other space.

You still don't get all that messy, but neither do I. I think what we think is messy others would still call organized. I have seen some artist's spaces that get so out of hand I can't even imagine working in them. I can't start a new piece unless everything has been cleaned up and put away from the previous session. That's just how I operate though, unless I'm working on a couple/few at once - but it's still the same general "rule."

I can't get over how cool those cabinets are. I would do the same thing if I worked mainly in acrylics. I keep my new boxed oil paints in an enclosed cabinet, but once they are being used, they begin to leak and get messy so they are all stored inside a hand bin, like a cleaning caddy, and I pull the tubes out from there while they're in use.

Here's a pic of where I store the caddys on top of one of my flat file cabinets. It happens to be a picture of the messiest moment in my studio. I had recently picked up that trunk at a garage sale and now I store all my handmade dolls inside of it.

Since I'm showing more pictures, here is my easel when it was brand new. Behind it is the red Ikea cabinet (on top of my white flat files) where I store all my new boxed oil paint, plus new jars of mediums, rags, and other extra back-up painting supplies.

Last edited by Artyczar : 11-18-2014 at 02:10 AM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2014, 09:02 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Artyczar, what a great easel! I like your storage space for large paintings too, and I'm drooling over your flat files!

I am mainly an oil painter, with acrylic coming in a close second, followed by pastel, watercolor, gouache, and assorted drawing materials. Most of my oil paints are stored in the taboret on wheels on the left side of the photo in this post. But the oil paints overflow into plastic bins stored on shelves in the garage. The photo only shows a small corner of the studio; I'll have to get pics of the rest of the space. With nearly everything on wheels, the entire space gets rearranged according to the medium and size I'm working with at the time. It's now set up more for acrylic to get some holiday commissions done. At this point, oils wouldn't have time to dry and get varnished and shipped.

My other studio is more open and airy because it has a 12x16' adjacent space lined with floor to ceiling shelves for storage and a 4x8' framing table with storage underneath, plus one of those huge, two-tiered, steel storage carts on casters for canvases and frames, and a slop sink. All the "stuff" has another place to go, and the actual painting space can be free and clear! But I'm working on a few more storage solutions in my winter space. I'll post some pics soon.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-18-2014, 11:45 AM

Great spaces everyone!

Regarding the easel, I couldn't take it, my conscience got the better of me, but the day after I ran in to the guy who runs the building, and he said "that easel? Im throwing it out today. The guys are repainting the stairwell and its got to go. Ive warned the guy about it 6 or 7 times now in the past 2 months, and before that it was in the basement for about a year, and nothings happened. Its yours if you want it, otherwise its going to the junk yard."

In Sweden it is illegal to have anything in the stairwells of apartment complexes in case of a fire, so legally the landlord has the full right to throw anything out, that risks the safety of the other occupants.

BOOM! I rolled it home. Turns out its from the late 1800s, and its the exact same model and brand that Zorn used. Unfortunately the previous owner has sawed off about 2 feet of the mast, but I can fix that. These go for about 1000 dollars at auction houses, if you're lucky enough to spot one.

I do expect the guy to come and try to get it back, or want money for it.

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 PM
A Local Legend
Bastrop, Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoat
Great spaces everyone!

Regarding the easel, I couldn't take it, my conscience got the better of me, but the day after I ran in to the guy who runs the building, and he said "that easel? Im throwing it out today. The guys are repainting the stairwell and its got to go. Ive warned the guy about it 6 or 7 times now in the past 2 months, and before that it was in the basement for about a year, and nothings happened. Its yours if you want it, otherwise its going to the junk yard."

[/IMG]

Timoat, woohoo, great find. I hope you can get the easel all cleaned up, extended and put to use. Very nice space you have, too.
Winston Churchill
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-21-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Castillo
Timoat, woohoo, great find. I hope you can get the easel all cleaned up, extended and put to use. Very nice space you have, too.

Hey thanks Jo, you have a great space too, I like the rain gutter idea!

I have to pinch myself every morning when I see it, Im just thinking, am I going to get hit by a bus tomorrow or something? I think all my luck has been used up!

The photo I posted was of Zorns studio, not mine unfortunately

Right now Im set up in my bedroom, rent here is crazy, but I will be looking for a studio for the summer, if all goes as planned! Im paying about 800 USD for a small room in a 4 bedroom apt. If I want a studio space it will be around another 500 a month...

Here are some pics of my easel. Its been 4 days now, and the guy has not been in touch.

Strange that this thread isnt bigger! Is there a place to post our "dream studios"? Iv been looking at a few places here, I think its good to visualize things like that. I print them out and put them on my wall, so I can look at them for motivation!

Last edited by Timoat : 11-21-2014 at 07:44 AM.