Home Forums Explore Media Pen and Ink cat walking up the drive

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    oldey

Chinese brushes and Chinese ink ground on ink stone painted on Yasutomo rice sketch paper from Blick.

Am not alway sure that this is the appropriate place but watermedia does not have a lot of ink subjects. It’s not watercolor so not where I usually hang out. Chinese or Japanese Ink brush painting must not be a popular medium. I find it challenging and love the simplicity. Maybe you can accept it as an offshoot of pen and ink.

Accepted!:)

Lovely, accurate drawing/painting of the cat!

What’s the size? The head/face shows acute observation and drawing!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

Mawgan

This is superb! I know from doing this myself how difficult is is, the paper is so absorbent that the ink will spread everywhere.The fur looks soft enough to touch. Good to see someone else on here brave enough to attempt it!
            Kind thoughts June

laika

Very nice!

Lamar

Art is life's dream interpretation.
                - Otto Rank

VanAndrew

Very good work, that cat has character! I’ve struggled with the same thing about where to post that sort of brush & ink work. :)

LENGERT

Such a simple composition but it says it all. You can almost see him moving. Beautiful.

sanlynn

monarch

It’s so very catlike, simple and lovely. :clap:

C&C welcome and appreciated

It looks like the cat is walking out of the paper! It’s true, I can see him (or her) moving. Excellent!

I tossed my roll of rice paper- too difficult for me to work with!

Sheila

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart.
                            -Helen Keller
                            The question is not what you look at, but what you see.
                            -Henry David Thoreau

Anonymous

Am not alway sure that this is the appropriate place but watermedia does not have a lot of ink subjects. It’s not watercolor so not where I usually hang out. Chinese or Japanese Ink brush painting must not be a popular medium. I find it challenging and love the simplicity. Maybe you can accept it as an offshoot of pen and ink.

Hopefully you can see from the responses that ink work such as this is totally appreciated here. :thumbsup:
                                Don’t worry about that at all ,it is a fact that pen & ink folk however purist intheir taste may be have always used brushes & washes down the ages , sometimes exclusively so ! :eek:

When Japan opened up & the sumi of the East became more widely known (late 19thC.)it had a profound effect on the P&I artists of the time & the same is still true nowadays ! :thumbsup:

An observation rather than any kind of critique would be that you use the sumi media in a very western based approach.
                                I mean your work is based on very careful observation & shows an exquisite control where as the Eastern way is not drawn/painted from a direct viewing of a cat, much more it is created from the memory or impression of a cat. Two very different approaches & results.
                                I have read that sumi painting itself changed radically in the 10th century (on the arrival of Buddhism) from a much more realistic approach to the emphasis being on capturing the spirit of the subject rather than the physical reality of the subject. We can still see this apparent dichotomy being played out today in art everywhere , yes even on this forum regularly !
                                More please , Mike

cwilliamson

Wonderful! I love how the cat is in focus in the near ground and slowly drops out of focus until the tail is a blur.

Clark

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.