Home Forums Explore Subjects Illustration Children’s book illustrations. Wondering if these have any potential.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    michaelspeir

I’ve always wanted to write and illustrate a children’s picture book. Earlier this year, I began working on an idea I’ve had floating around for a while. Basically the story revolves around a boy and a cat, as you can see in the pictures.

I spent the better part of last winter learning how to use a newly acquired Wacom tablet with photoshop to put together these illustrations.

I have never written or illustrated a book and am basically winging it at this point but figured it was the only way to learn if I would be able to pull it off. So far I’m pretty happy with the effort but we all get tunnel vision when we work so I thought I’d post these works-in-progress in hopes to get some feedback.

At this point, none of the examples are finished. I’ve been working on several at a time and have not added all the details I want to include in these illustrations. For the most part, the compositions, color palette, and general art style are where I want them to be.

Thank you for looking :)

Pthalo White

Of course they have potential. Get out there with your portfolio and knock on some doors… or get an agent. You can also self-publish, too. Good luck!

evebart

Love the textures and use of perspective especially—I like these a lot!

ScouseDave

Michael.

Your illustrations are certainly of the right quality!

As PthaloWhite says… get an agent! You’ll probably need one if you want to get published in the USA. There are various guides and books available that list a variety of agents/publishers, and all the associated ‘how to’ stuff – just Google ’em.
                    Many publishers will only accept manuscript submissions from agents – not from hopeful individuals, no matter how talented. Although an agent takes a percentage of royalties, they’re likely to generate a better deal/income than you might do on your own.

I’ve written and/or illustrated somewhere between 200-300 titles over the decades. I’ve had agents both here in New Zealand and in the USA.

davegunson.com

michaelspeir

Thanks for the encouragement! Do you think it would be advisable to pursue an agent before I finish the book or does a completed book have more value/potential?

ScouseDave

Thanks for the encouragement! Do you think it would be advisable to pursue an agent before I finish the book or does a completed book have more value/potential?

Michael… for a children’s picture book, you need the completed manuscript/text, plus sample illustrations (the number you’ve shown would be fine)- whether it’s for an agent or a publisher to assess.

It’d help if you also show a paginated plan for pics and text.

Typical children’s picture book is 32pages, plus covers.
                            Usually allow…
                            Page 1 -half title
                            Page 2 – imprint (publisher/author/production info etc)
                            Page 3 – full title
                            Pages 4-32 – the story.
                            All the above is flexible to a small degree – maybe move the imprint to p32, and eliminate the half title… etc.
                            Size is usually within coo-ee of A4 – fairly variable.

If you want to have a chat privately, that’s fine – happy to help. :)

Shia Harju

These look good, while they are obviously unfinished.

Do you have an online portfolio somewhere?
                                It would be a great idea to gather your best works so that potential employers or clients could find you!

TWAdair Art

These look nice! Reminds me of an Animated movie called Sounds of the Sea.

CHARMING!

-Dave

Jon

Delightful.
                                        Good luck with the project!

janinco

Those are great! If you haven’t seen Mark Mitchell’s blog, he has some really good interviews with children’s book illustrators and lots of tips:
                                            http://howtobeachildrensbookillustrator.com

Jan

Shia Harju

Those illustrations are good. And about writing a book, I’ve seen many children books with the main focus being on art and only a few words on each page. And it works! if a book is beautiful. Go get yourself a professionally-looking portfolio on Format [/URL]or similar services and get that agent already!

These are beautiful!!!:cat:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/09-Dec-2019/1985576-signature_images_b.jpg
                                                [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]websites | [FONT="Comic Sans Ms"]sketchbook

JonasThomas

Hey Michael,

I think the second and the third image are really nice.
                                                    Maybe I would pay some more attention to atmospheric perspective: foreground/ background separation.
                                                    Just my idea.
                                                    Good work.

Best,

I make illustrations for architecture; http://www.citypixels.be/

123harry

These are nice. I like the ones with the strong perspective element and also the stylised waves.

C&C always welcome.
                                                        Instagram harry.hamill

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.