Home Forums Explore Subjects Art Journals Kirby’s Tiny Sketchbook

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Hi everyone!

I’ve been watching this forum for awhile now, and I hope that by participating I will be motivated to draw more often in my own sketchbooks. The sketchbook I’m using for this thread is a 4″x6″ Simply Sketchbooks by Daler-Rowney. I bought it super cheap at Walmart to try and get myself to practice drawing freehand.

The first couple pages are boring because I attempted to force myself to draw a picture everyday. That did not work well at all. I’m planning on doing more elaborate sketches in the future.

This last sketch from today was just me testing out some old pens. I seem to enjoy sketching with pen the most out of all mediums.

Delofasht

Hello Bryanna! Great stuff, glad to have you here. I “force” myself to draw every day, and I have more than a few weak drawings this past week to prove it. The goal is not to make a pretty picture though, but to increase my awareness and knowledge of a given subject, so I may make a bad drawing, but I write actual notes if it is not abundantly clear at a glance to me what is wrong (and sometimes even when it is abundantly clear I will write it down anyhow). Sketchbooks are all about learning, and having a place to do that, one can never really go wrong as are always leaning. :)

These look like great learning to me, keep up the good work.

- Delo Delofasht

Hi and thank you Delo!

I guess what I really meant was that I have trouble drawing in a sketchbook everyday. I do draw everyday. I don’t even mean to, but my work notebooks are always covered in doodles. I attached a few examples to show you what I mean. I’m trying to get myself to keep more of my doodles in sketchbooks and less in the margins of my important notes lol.

Sonia

Good practice wherever you draw Bryanna! And good advice by Delo.

Delofasht

I certainly had my share of drawings on lined paper, in fact nice cheap paper is very freeing. I still grab for sheets of printer paper frequently for exploratory sketching where I need to iterate on a pose or design that will be quite challenging. No fears if I mess up on that, it is not expensive paper or anything.

- Delo Delofasht

Thank you Sonia!

Cheap paper is very freeing. I don’t feel bad for wasting it if I end up with something I don’t like.

Here are my sketches since yesterday:

Delofasht

Great use of colored pens and scribble strokes, and you are quite prolific as well. Keep up the good work, it is so worth the effort.

- Delo Delofasht

Great use of colored pens and scribble strokes, and you are quite prolific as well. Keep up the good work, it is so worth the effort.

Thank you! I always tell people that I scribble when I draw. You can’t tell when I am working with pencils, but with pens, all my strokes show. And drawing a lot is easier when you have a tiny sketchbook :lol:

Delofasht

The skull manikin makes me chuckle, and I need to find some time to sketch because I have been oil painting almost non stop for the past few days and probably need to sneak in at least a page in my sketchbook.

- Delo Delofasht
                        eyepaint

I like the lively marks behind the flower in post 7!

-- EP Moderator for:
                            All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

I have a bunch of pictures to upload from the past week or so. If anyone would like to know more about a particular sketch, please ask.

eyepaint

Well done on the parrot head and mannikin!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Very impressive sketches, all of them! I also make myself do some every day even if only for 5 minutes to keep the habit going. Keep up the good work!

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.