Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum R. Schmid’s Alla Prima I & II Book Opinions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    MacTownDave

Always on the lookout for good reference material to boost my puny efforts, I came across Alla Prima I & II by Richard Schmid. They are a couple of ‘Financial Ouchies!’ at $100 (#2 softbound) to $200 and up (#1 hardbound) a pop for used. Most owner ratings are stunningly high, not something one usually hears from a diverse and often critical artistic audience.

Obviously they are charging what the market tolerates. Or possibly these are mandated art school texts with college style gouge-a-rama pricing. We recognize that many excellent lessons are not genre specific. That said, my focus is on still lifes and landscapes so a dissertation on rosy cheek & lip glazes is of little value. Also, big money for another ‘how-to’ book? Uh, pass.

So, my questions to fellow WCers are;
        – (1) Who among you own one or more of the books?
        – (2) Is content universally valuable or are these best for portrait and life work?
        – (3) Strengths and deficiencies? (1 to 10 ranking if you like) then finally,
        – (4) General unvarnished (no pun intended) opinions.

Have you checked your library system where you live to see if they have a copy you can look at? I haven’t seen either of these books, but should I run across them will let you know.

Angel :angel:
        Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
        http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

OK

Bought the first book from another artist at a reasonable price, he was glad to get rid of it.
            Having only read parts of it because most of it doesn’t interest me, I can’t give you an overall view.
            It’s weakness to me and probably to some it’s strength is that it’s a very structured way of painting.
            For the price I paid for it I’m glad to have it on the shelf but haven’t looked at it for years.
            It’s not worth silly money.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

For the newcomer to painting, it’s a stellar book. Certainly worth having, but I’d try and find it for less than those numbers elsewhere.

It’s hard to say there’s much weakness in such a book, but at the time I got my copy (v.1) I was hoping for more direct information about landscapes and figure than I remember it having.

I’ve always wondered what the big differences between 1 and 2 were to warrant a whole new book. I didn’t want to pony up to find out though.

Facebook: https://bit.ly/3aEGyTQ
            Instagram: https://bit.ly/3cRPkAs
            www.jonbradley.art

Bought the first book from another artist at a reasonable price, he was glad to get rid of it.
            Having only read parts of it because most of it doesn’t interest me, I can’t give you an overall view.
            It’s weakness to me and probably to some it’s strength is that it’s a very structured way of painting.
            For the price I paid for it I’m glad to have it on the shelf but haven’t looked at it for years.

Very nice work on your site…I especially like your portrait paintings.

Angel :angel:
            Website Makeover Coming! This is available now.
            http://www.artist-bythesea.com/

Dukeofoil

I’m self taught so I have read many books on drawing and painting over the years. Of those, there are only a half dozen that I thought worth keeping.

One of those is the first Alla Prima book which, by coincidence, I am in the process of re-reading. I don’t paint in as direct a manner as he does but Scmid’s advice on things like seeing shapes, values, and edges is invaluable – especially for beginners to intermediates – but serves as a good reminder even to more advanced painters.

For landscape painting I think Carlson’s Guide to Landscape Painting is considered a classic. It is a bit of a slog to read but it lays out everything you need to look for in terms of viewing and depicting your subject matter.

MacTownDave

Carlson is good ( a one to two day read ) but would like it if someone did an updated, revised edition since some content is quite dated. Albala and many other books reference Carlson’s sky/ground/objects value lesson but minor, but still essential, subtleties are missing in those short summaries.

Thanks to all for the cautionary Alla Prima advice. Since our library system doesn’t carry it, I will decline a donation toward Mr. Schmid’s next solid gold Mercedes. To all who saved me $100 or more, have a beer and put it on my tab.

sabana

I have hardback Alla Prima II.
                        Also Landscapes.

Alla Prima 2 is really for portraits although there are some scenes with Nancy his wife in. Also some interior. The reproductions are fantastic. Every brushstroke can be see.

Landscapes the same. You see his painting improve from the beginning. Great reproductions. Every brushstroke can be seen.

Here are the most important factors. Buy large format books not to read words(but they can help). But to have great reproductions close up etc. Not postcard size.

Secondly being such large tomes buy hardback. Its worth it as they are better quality binding.

I have a library of rare art books full format. From Edward Seago by Ron Ranson both volumes to Odd Nerdrum all costing over £100 each. I dont care what it costs within reason. I invest in rare art books. Alla Prima is a classic and is takes pride of place.. Landscapes is a classic. Buy both.

Anonymous

sabana, good advice, but buying coffee table art books unseen is also risky. Sometimes the prints are good, often they’re not. I have a de Laszlo book with over sharpened color casted reproductions that are painful to look at. But then I have Sorolla book which is very accurate. So it’s a gamble, an expensive one because art books are often quite expensive.

These days, I actually prefer putting my monitor in portrait mode and viewing images downloaded from sites like Google Art Project. I can often zoom in and look at individual strokes and see the canvas grain.

sabana

sabana, good advice, but buying coffee table art books unseen is also risky. Sometimes the prints are good, often they’re not. I have a de Laszlo book with over sharpened color casted reproductions that are painful to look at. But then I have Sorolla book which is very accurate. So it’s a gamble, an expensive one because art books are often quite expensive.

These days, I actually prefer putting my monitor in portrait mode and viewing images downloaded from sites like Google Art Project. I can often zoom in and look at individual strokes and see the canvas grain.

I agree Mares. Its a risk but I do a lot of research before buying. (Not just Amazon reviews:). I recently bought Sargent vol 1-8 by Ormond and Kilmurray (£320). And the reproductions were xxxx. Yet the reviews apart from a few were glowing. But its a Catalogue Raisonne. I returned them.

And im with you on the monitor. Thats how I do 90 percent of of my research.

Anonymous

I agree Mares. Its a risk but I do a lot of research before buying. (Not just Amazon reviews:). I recently bought Sargent vol 1-8 by Ormond and Kilmurray (£320). And the reproductions were xxxx. Yet the reviews apart from a few were glowing. But its a Catalogue Raisonne. I returned them.

And im with you on the monitor. Thats how I do 90 percent of of my research.

:thumbsup:

I have 5 vols of Ormond’s Sargent catalogue raisonne, and I agree with you, some repros are horrible. The watercolors are better for natural reasons (smaller and easier to photograph correctly). 4 of the vols were gifts, so I’ve obviously kept them. I’m still debating whether I should get the other vols. Maybe as gifts… ;)

sabana

:thumbsup:

I have 5 vols of Ormond’s Sargent catalogue raisonne, and I agree with you, some repros are horrible. The watercolors are better for natural reasons (smaller and easier to photograph correctly). 4 of the vols were gifts, so I’ve obviously kept them. I’m still debating whether I should get the other vols. Maybe as gifts… ;)

I have the Carter Ratcliffe tome on Sargent and the reproductions are larger and better. The darks are completley lost in many of the Ormond raisonne. No detail at all. But they had access to all the paintings and there is no excuse for poor photography. The writing is imeasurably great though.

AnnieA

I don’t own a copy of either, but I’ve taken them out of the library. I think they contain a wealth of information presented in a very accessible manner. Have you heard about the paint charts? Schmid seems very generous in his sharing of the things he’s learned over a lifetime of painting.

They aren’t much less expensive, but you can find his books at a better price in his website.

[FONT=Arial]C&C always welcome ©[/I] [/font]
                                            [FONT=Palatino]
                                            “Life is a pure flame and we live by an invisible sun within us.” ― Sir Thomas Browne [/size][/font]

http://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/29-Jul-2007/85002-sig-thumbnail_composite_2.jpg]/img]

Gunterhaus

*Waving back!*

Moqui Steps

My wife and I checked it out from the library using the inter-library loan system. We have dozens of books on painting. This is my favorite of all that I have read. I learned more from it than any 6 others books combined. An excellent reference and instructional piece. After having had it in hand for a month, now that it is gone find myself wanting to refer back to it frequently, so we will definitely be buying a copy at some point.

Interestingly, as noted above, it is less expensive to buy it directly from the author’s web site than from most other online sources. Hardcover $125, softcover $95, shipped. $20 less than Amazon on the hardcover and $70 less than a used 1st edition.

I am not a book collector so I see no point in buying the 1st edition unless it is significantly less than what I can get a 2nd edition for, which is rarely if ever the case. The 2nd edition has everything the 1st Ed. has plus 2 years of work on additional goodies.

When I do buy it, it will probably be the soft bound version. When / if the binding fails after hard use I will probably remove the pages from the binding and hole punch them for a ring binder.

http://www.richardschmid.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SKUAP

Richard Schmid spent two years updating the original edition giving him the opportunity to fine tune and greatly expand what is generally regarded as the art world’s foremost book for painters seeking serious instruction in representational painting.”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘R. Schmid’s Alla Prima I & II Book Opinions?’ is closed to new replies.