Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum Opinion – The absolute best oil brand!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    Cypress11

I got my 1st tubes of Williamsburg oil in the mail today and they are absolutely by far the best! If you haven’t tried this brand, give it a shot. The texture and boldness of the colors were more than I had ever expected! I am astounded by the quality – especially after using W&N for the past few years. I have always hated using Ultramarine on my pallet, but this brand is just stunning! Sorry, I had to share this with all of you!

Old Holland. Nuff said. :thumbsup:

Nate :cool:

Anonymous

why you been hatin’ ultramarine :confused:

Cypress11

I hated the ultramarine via W&N. I have used mainly cobalt turquoise and cobalt blue for skies because ultramarine seemed too bland until I tried the Williamsburg blend. I work mainly with oil and acrylic and golden ultramarine definitely doesn’t fit my taste.

css

I used to be brand loyal and try to stick to one brand but find that some colors that one manufacturer makes are just better than the others so I always have a mix of brands – mainly Gamblin, Sennelier, M.Graham & Utrect – also Sales at retailers factor in to my buying. I’ll check out Williamsburg if they go on sale :)

"You are emphasizing what interests you and minimizing other things by putting them in the service of your true passion and leaving out altogether what distracts. Keep it simple." - Ken Kewley

mariposa-art

I use a lot of brands, always trying out new ones.

Some favorites that I buy a lot of:

Blockx. For some reason I keep on getting a lot of Blockx.
                        Blue Ridge. Good quality, beautiful colors, affordable while being very high quality.
                        Vasari. Lovely consistency, beautiful, rich, VERY expensive.
                        Old Holland is good. I have my fair share of them.
                        Williamsburg. Am just getting into these. Love some of their unique colors.
                        Maimeri Puro. I have a nice little collection of these too.

And I always come back to Permalba White. :D (Though I love Blockx, Vasari, Williamsburg and Old Holland whites too!)

Cypress11

I buy a lot of the Williamsburg neutrals (150ml) at the dickblick site. They are always around 20 percent discount and have free shipping. I can get a 150ml of Cad Red Deep for about $77 which is a lot better value than a $96 of old Holland

Gigalot

I think, the best brand is Maimeri Classico.

Old Holland Cremnitz white 225ml goes for $270.00 retail! :eek: It is nuts, Utrecht already disounts this…but I happened to be on their site on a day where they offered an additional 40% off. Needless to say, I “convinced” myself that its is a good buy, and went for it! (It was a good buy. They don’t have it in stock until 5/1/13). At $129.59 before taxes….sounds good, I suppose. :rolleyes: :lol:

Gigalot

Old Holland Cremnitz white 225ml goes for $270.00 retail! :eek:

This is a cause why Picasso (and not only him :lol: ) used large can with housepaint white. You can save money, health and environment, just follow Picasso`s tradition. You can buy 25 paint baskets with the same price! :clap:

This is a cause why Picasso (and not only him :lol: ) used large can with housepaint white. You can save money, health and environment, just follow Picasso`s tradition. You can buy 25 paint baskets with the same price! :clap:

Lol, Gigalot, you had to go and mention Mr. P? Out of respect for our community I must bite my tongue and avoid commenting on this person. :wink2:

Gigalot

I am agree, housepaint is barbarian alkyd. Our respected community newer used it.:angel: But we can use Williamsburg white for fine details and Winton under it. And and no one will know which one is hidden there.:wink2:

trufflecat

Well we all have our brand loyalties, but I think others have said it well: the brands vary in every color so you need to experiment until you find the brand you like for each color you use. Gigalot mentioned Maimeri – their Classico line is cheaper and pretty decent, but their Puro line is astounding. Try the sampler set of magenta, yellow, and cyan of Maimeri Puro (Blick sells it). You may love the cyan for skies – no problem for brilliance! (and much more brilliant than any Cobalt Turquoise or “Sky Blue” I’ve run into. Ultramarine is pretty far toward the purple for a daylight sky, no?)

Lukas is another good brand, e.g. their Terre Verte and Yellow Ochre are both much nicer than W&N’s versions. I do use mostly W&N colors, but that’s just because my teacher claimed it was the standard. Most of their colors ARE quite good. I haven’t tried Old Holland or Williamsburg yet because of the high prices. Maybe I’ll try some Williamsburg!

Art is never finished, only abandoned.-- Leonardo da Vinci :thumbsup:

http://www.susanbaileyart.com
                                            Anonymous

Rembrandt and W & N Artists’. Most stores around here carry them, they’re not too expensive, and the quality is excellent. I also like M. Graham but that manufacturer is hard to come by for me.

lovin art

Rexiee said it for me …..:D how did he know , cause he knows his stuff and I agree both great brands !! Michael Harding is another fave of mine …

I never hate my paint but I do hate when it leaks …..ugh with a passion !! :/)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 62 total)
                                                  • The topic ‘Opinion – The absolute best oil brand!’ is closed to new replies.