Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting First Oil Painting…think I ruined it, need help!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Shorlong

So, as I mentioned a few weeks ago in my introduction, I am new to painting. I have never picked up a paintbrush before a few weeks ago (except the few times that brush met a model car…) I started with acrylics and just wasn’t happy with what was coming of it. I had no idea on values, how to blend, nothing. I painted this in acrylic’s as my first painting, and hated it because it looked like something a five year old would do (fyi – I have schizophrenia, and I want to paint the things that I see to get them out of my head). This is a guy I have nicknamed Rage:

Again, I hated this painting. It had a style I was going for (surreal, thick black lines) but it looked so….bad. I had no idea what I was doing. So, I painted over it with blue, yellow and red and got a nice color combo that I really liked. I then set it aside for awhile.

I started researching oil paints, but having no money, I didn’t think I would be able to. I was gifted a starter set of Master’s Touch oil paints, some Linseed oil and oderless paint thinner, as well as some new brushes by a friend. I then had an idea. I wanted to paint what I call The Dark Man, a being that I see often, usually surrounded by light and colors. So, I took my tube of black and used almost the entire thing covering the blue, yellow and red painting I had done. I then used a pallet knife to scratch out the outline of the dark man, and all the space around him I scratched out as well.

I then dipped a different brush in a little bit of thinner, then dipped it in white. I wanted to give a few highlights to the dark man, just to make him appear three dimensional (something I very much failed on my first painting). So, I put some around the jawline, the cheek area, and where the eyes would be. I also put some around where the armpits would be. The problem I saw was the white around the chin and the right armpit was way too bright. I tried to smudge it to blur it some, but it was still too much. I gave it a day, then decided I wanted to go over it with black again and just try again later….

Big mistake…this is going on day three and it looks like this now:

So, what did I do wrong and how do I fix this? I feel this is a decent first time painting (I don’t count my other one) and would like it to be good…this just frustrates me…any ideas?

snoball

You can post images after your first two posts, so you should be able to post them now. I can’t help you on your painting because it is so far removed from the style I paint in.
            I see Lady Mars helped you out. :)

If you're asking me for advice, I'm going to assume that you've run out of rational options.
            My work on Facebook

Alan P. in OC

So, what did I do wrong and how do I fix this? I feel this is a decent first time painting (I don’t count my other one) and would like it to be good…this just frustrates me…any ideas?

So, you used white to help create form on an all-black surface, but it was too bright? Is that right?

A white highlight here and there on a black background is hardly going to help anything look three-dimensional. Careful lighting and modeling of the subject with a range of paint values will, though.

Painting from imagination, at least painting well, will take a lot more knowledge and experience, IMHO, than painting a still life or landscape from photos or plein aire.

How could I or anyone else tell you what you did ‘wrong’ when there’s nothing to reference to but a dark shadow man in your head? Sorry to say, but you sound like you expect paint mastery to take a few days (what did I do wrong and how do I fix this? I would like it to be good…this just frustrates me…), when if it happens at all to a very, very few people, it takes a lifetime.

Walk before you run. If you are so new at painting, and your acrylic work look like a five year old painted them, oils aren’t magically going to help. There are a million resources out there to help people paint in a certain style, you can get great advice and learn a lot on Wetcanvas on painting basics.

WFMartin

Well, there’s almost nothing that you can’t “fix” when oil painting. When you are disappointed with what you’ve painted, just allow what you’ve done to dry, and then merely paint over it with whatever other color you wish.

wfmartin. My Blog "Creative Realism"...
                    https://williamfmartin.blogspot.com

Gigalot

I tried to paint 100 times from life and only after that, I can paint a little from imagination. Japanese Zen painting master said “You must paint bamboo from life 1000 times. After that, you must forget about any bamboo, relax, and your mind and your sole will move your hand and your brush to paint best bamboo you had ever seen before.”

Shorlong

So, you used white to help create form on an all-black surface, but it was too bright? Is that right?

A white highlight here and there on a black background is hardly going to help anything look three-dimensional. Careful lighting and modeling of the subject with a range of paint values will, though.

Painting from imagination, at least painting well, will take a lot more knowledge and experience, IMHO, than painting a still life or landscape from photos or plein aire.

How could I or anyone else tell you what you did ‘wrong’ when there’s nothing to reference to but a dark shadow man in your head? Sorry to say, but you sound like you expect paint mastery to take a few days ([I]what did I do wrong and how do I fix this? I would like it to be good…this just frustrates me…)[/I], when if it happens at all to a very, very few people, it takes a lifetime.

Walk before you run. If you are so new at painting, and your acrylic work look like a five year old painted them, oils aren’t magically going to help. There are a million resources out there to help people paint in a certain style, you can get great advice and learn a lot on Wetcanvas on painting basics.

The picture I am fine with, I think it looks pretty good for a first timer. However, the smudge on the face and right arm are what I want to fix, and I couldn’t find much to help me out with that.

I never said, nor do I beleive, that I will acheive paint mastery. I also know I won’t be reaching the levels of photo realism for a long time, if ever. It’s not even the style I wanted to go for. I merely wanted a slight amount of shading and outline to show that this wasn’t a flat black shadow, but something that had a bit of depth to it.

When I say the white was to bright, I thinned it out, and in most of the places it looks fine. It was just two parts where it stuck out as very bright, and in my attempt to fix it (without knowing HOW to fix it), I made it worse.

Well, there’s almost nothing that you can’t “fix” when oil painting. When you are disappointed with what you’ve painted, just allow what you’ve done to dry, and then merely paint over it with whatever other color you wish.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you! I was hoping I didn’t ruin it and would not be able to paint over it. How long should I give it to dry before painting over?

Alan P. in OC

I merely wanted a slight amount of shading and outline to show that this wasn’t a flat black shadow, but something that had a bit of depth to it.

Don’t go right for the white and try to thin it down to make it… less white:). Try mixing a few dark grays to go from the darkest black shadow to how light you want it to eventually be, then you can blend between the gray shades and you’ll see some form happening. :)

You can paint over it as soon as the paint is touch dry, which could be the next day or several days, depending on the paint used, thickness of it, your environment, etc. Just touch it, if your finger is clean, you can paint on top of it.

Shorlong

Don’t go right for the white and try to thin it down to make it… less white:). Try mixing a few dark grays to go from the darkest black shadow to how light you want it to eventually be, then you can blend between the gray shades and you’ll see some form happening. :)

You can paint over it as soon as the paint is touch dry, which could be the next day or several days, depending on the paint used, thickness of it, your environment, etc. Just touch it, if your finger is clean, you can paint on top of it.

Awesome, thank you! And I didn’t think about the shades of grey, great advice! Thanks a lot!

Ron Francis

If something looks wrong, you don’t have to wait until it dries to paint over it. You can just wipe off the offending bit with a cloth and try again.

Ron
                                        www.RonaldFrancis.com

kylesurges

Don’t sweat it. We all have ruined many paintings in the process of learning to paint. I know I have :lol:. Its very rare for a beginner to pick up a brush and paint something well, especially with oils… unless you are Picasso. There are no happy accidents with oil paint. I’d say keep working on it, then put it aside and painting something else and keep repeating the process. If you feel the need to return to that one subject, you can always do so in the future.

unless you are Picasso.

nah he messed up all the time too. Everyone does.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                                            Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

kylesurges

I’m sure Picasso ruined some paintings, but he got the hang of it pretty quickly.

He was 15 or 16 when he did “Science and Charity” in 1897.

Forestgrass

I think everybody’s touched on all the pertinent points – that the beauty of oils is that you can just wipe it off but if it does dry, then you can paint over it. So even though it’s a challenging medium it has a lot of wiggle room for “mistakes” or disasters and we’ve all had them! Knowing that you can wipe it off or paint over makes you feel less hindered by the cost of the support too I think. Happy painting!

NancyMP

Shorlong, I had a few years as a teenager with schizophrenia, and it’s certainly not a picnic! But this is an upward path you’re taking, and I want to encourage you to just have patience. We all took a long time to get where we are, and if you stick with it, it’s the best thing you’ll ever do. I think you’ve got a good start here.

One of the things I do is start with the dark colors. The blacks are thinner and they dry more quickly. After the black part of your painting is dry to the touch, you can add the lighter thicker colors like white. since you scraped the white lines into the edge of the figure, you don’t need to wait for them. If the blob on the face is still a bit wet, you can rub it off, or at least the dampest part of it, with a rag or a paper towel.

Then while you’re waiting for the rest of it to dry, do some pencil sketches of ideas you want to paint – it’s a way to distract yourself from going back to the painting while it’s still wet.

Good luck, and remember that it takes a lot of time and effort to become a painter.

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
                                                        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                                                      • The topic ‘First Oil Painting…think I ruined it, need help!!!’ is closed to new replies.