Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Which? RGB or CMYK?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    NancyMP

One of my duties at the gallery is doing public relations, and photographs of featured paintings are very important. I had been sending them in RGB to the newspapers, where they naturally convert to CMYK when printed. Recently, another of the artists, who is also a photographer, decided to send me only CMYK photos.

Some of the sites I send photos to are only online. Wouldn’t it be better for the online sites to have RGB images, or does it make a difference?

To me, the CMYK photos, when printed, look duller than they did when I was sending only RGB.

Is it my imagination, or is this something I should try to correct? I would really like to know, before I do something embarrassing…:rolleyes:

Nancy http://nancyparkfineart.com
        All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Gigalot

RGB colors can often be “out of range” saturated than real pigments can be, while CMYK color gamut is adopted to a real printing ink colors. In CMYK mode all available colors you have on screen can be printed using offset or jet printers.

RGB mode do not have such an ink color limitation. The only limit is display color range.
            JPG files in CMUK mode can be opened in Photoshop. Photoshop can display colors correctly, but some other graphics editors or viewers don’t work with CMYK files and can make a great color distortions in this mode.

Don Ketchek

My cameras all use RGB color spaces (either Adobe RGB or sRGB) – I’m guessing your camera does, too. So I wouldn’t change unless you are asked to save them in CMYK.

Don

Hey, i worked as a designer for about 4 years, and out of experience, if you dont want distortions in color when you print, you always send a CMYK file to the printing guys, you got more real control of what the actual print will look like, that said, you need a calibrated monitor and photoshop and so on…

My camera also makes rgb photos wich is normal, but when you decide to print something, i open the raw file in photoshop wich will have alot of editing options, then i convert to cmyk make any aditional changes that i need and then send to printing companies.

Hope this helps atleast a bit NancyMP.

karenlee

I think RGB is better for illuminated images such as on the internet and videos/movies, while CMYK is better for printing on paper; which one you use depends on your end product.

NancyMP

Thanks, everyone, so much! I was a designer, too, Dean, for about 40 years, but what I was concerned about was that the CMYK images I was sent. Perhaps the photography was not high quality. When I saw the actual paintings hung, they looked so much brighter and cleaner that I wondered whether I should have requested both.

Since we’re all volunteers at my gallery, I’m glad to hear that I can use a better CYMK image without ruining it for the websites. Even thhe best photographers can have an off day and not produce as good a photo.

All human beings are dream beings. Dreaming ties all mankind together. - Jack Kerouac

Brian Firth

Okay, as a designer who works at a printing company and fixes other designers work all the time, the one thing I can tell you is DO NOT take a designers opinion on this. :)

You should leave your images in RGB for this reason: You do not know the output device that will be used to print the work. Most poster printers (Giclée) are at least 6 color printers and have a much larger color gamut than traditional CMYK printers. They have custom RIP that will convert from RGB to their printer specs and accommodate the RGB gamut to 6 or more colors, preserving more of the original colors in the print. If you have pre-converted to CMYK then that gamut has already been lost. The original RGB file will print with better violets and other colors that the CMYK cannot.

If you know what device that your piece will be printed on, like a web press for a newspaper, then yesm go ahead and use CMYK, which will also make your files larger. But 9 times out of 10 send the RGB file and let the printer do what they do best and get the best possible print from your images.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."
                            -- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

NancyMP

Brian, thanks for the correction! I worked as a designer at The Oklahoman and sent RGBs on to our printers without even thinking about it. But I might being getting forgetful – old age can do that. So I’m going to let our photographer know that I do not want them converted to CMYK. Which is what I should have said in the first place…:rolleyes:

Ron Francis

Brian, would it be better to use a tiff format?
                                    I have had a catalogue printed, and fairly often invitations for gallery openings, and I’m surprised how they can often get the colours so wrong.
                                    With the catalogue, I sat in front of a PC with an operator all day, correcting the colours.
                                    I’m starting to think it is better to send them an image with an X-Rite colourchecker in the shot.

Ron
                                    www.RonaldFrancis.com

Brian Firth

Ron,
                                        The file format should not affect the colors. However, I would say to avoid JPEGs as they are lossy compression and some information is lost in the compression.

The first rule in printing is that you can never proof on a monitor, no matter how calibrated. Ask for a match proof that is printed on a printed that is calibrated to their printer’s color profile. They should have you sign off on the proof and match it perfectly in the final printed pieces. This little extra step is worth any small additional cost or time in quality control on your image. And if you do need changes you now have an established point of reference for the adjustments in the proof. Also, if the final pieces are not to your expectations I would reject them. Normally, you only have to do that once for them to realize you are not going to accept anything but perfect. At a good printer that should never even be necessary. If you are using the cheaper online printers they work in bulk by ganging up multiple jobs on large single runs and will be much less likely to have precise color consistency. This is one of the reasons I would recommend professionals who are concerned with the quality of their reproductions to use local printers where a relationship can be established and much greater attention to quality and precision is adhered to.

-- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Youssef

It is better to leave the files in RGB rather than CMYK. When converting a file from RGB to CMYK the image software uses an ICC profile. The ICC profile adapts the colors depending on the final printer and paper. There are numerous ICC profiles for different printers and papers. A glossy paper, for example, needs a different ICC profile than a newspaper. You may not have the right ICC profile on your computer that your print shop has.
                                            You can download the ICC profile you need from Adobe website :
                                            http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=3680

[FONT="Verdana"]I have learned to use the word 'impossible' with the greatest caution.
                                            Wernher von Braun

Ron Francis

Ron,
                                                The file format should not affect the colors. However, I would say to avoid JPEGs as they are lossy compression and some information is lost in the compression.

The first rule in printing is that you can never proof on a monitor, no matter how calibrated. Ask for a match proof that is printed on a printed that is calibrated to their printer’s color profile. They should have you sign off on the proof and match it perfectly in the final printed pieces. This little extra step is worth any small additional cost or time in quality control on your image. And if you do need changes you now have an established point of reference for the adjustments in the proof. Also, if the final pieces are not to your expectations I would reject them. Normally, you only have to do that once for them to realize you are not going to accept anything but perfect. At a good printer that should never even be necessary. If you are using the cheaper online printers they work in bulk by ganging up multiple jobs on large single runs and will be much less likely to have precise color consistency. This is one of the reasons I would recommend professionals who are concerned with the quality of their reproductions to use local printers where a relationship can be established and much greater attention to quality and precision is adhered to.

Thanks Brian,
                                                Yes, we always get printed proofs and use professional printers. I’m just surprised how wrong the proofs can be much of the time considering that I can take an image file to a local photo photo printing machine and get reasonably good quality colour.
                                                I did find that, when printing a catalogue, their monitor was pretty well calibrated to their prints, so I could do most of the correcting on that. Corrections after the proofs were minor in comparison, (although the proofs were ink-jet facsimiles of the offset from memory).
                                                So what surprised me was how bad the files looked on their monitor before any corrections. (And I had already corrected the image using an X-Rite colourchecker, so that didn’t have anything to do with it.)

Ron
                                                www.RonaldFrancis.com

Brian Firth

Ron, most of the photo printers use six color ink jet type or even dye sublimation printers which do have much wider color gamuts than what is most likely a CMYK matched proof from your printer. Just, a possibility. There really are so many variables it’s very hard to give anything but general answers. It would be a good idea to ask your printers what they recommend and they will probably be more than happy to give you advice for getting the best results and having your beginning images look closer to what their printed images will look like in the end. Hope this helps.

As a side note we use multiple X-Rite color calibrators on our digital printers and in my personal opinion they are one notch above useless! But maybe that’s just me. ;)

-- Carl Sagan

Brian Firth

Ron Francis

Yes, thanks Brian.

Ron
                                                        www.RonaldFrancis.com

Gigalot

Great advice, Brian! Many thanks about six-color printers info!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Which? RGB or CMYK?’ is closed to new replies.