Home Forums The Town Center Welcome Forum! New to oil paints – titanium white toxic to aquatic life?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    LeafNanci

Hello! :wave: I make garden sculptures with concrete cast from leaves. I have always used acrylics to paint my pieces, including birdbaths. I’m thinking oils would last longer, so I’m just experimenting with them at the moment, so just purchased a cheapie set of them. . BUT, I read a warning on the box that titanium white is extremely toxic to aquatic life and remains so for a long time! My question is, would that be a hazard in a birdbath? I would seal them (I use a two part epoxy coating), plus I rarely use white, still I’d like to know. Thanks!

Jon

Hello, it is nice to meet you/ I see you joined in 2007.
            Titanium white is toxic and a question on it is better asked in the Oil Painting Forum
            I know there are paints considered safe for using in fish aquariums so I suggest you do a Google search to start and include asking about sealant safety.
            Reminder:
            * You can access any Forum by using the “Forum Jump” located at the bottom right of the screen or the Channels drop down menu at the upper left
            * Moderators and Guides have links in their Signature lines to address FAQ’s
            * There are “Stickys’’ (permanent threads that “stick” at the top of all thread listings) that are full of helpful information.

Greggo

Welcome to the WC Welcome Forum!

This is the place to introduce yourself and for us to pass on to you some tips.

There are lots of fine folks here, you can meet many of them as you browse about while exploring the full list of the forums. We are looking forward to seeing your art, and getting to know you!

There are all levels of artists, from many lands, working in virtually all mediums. Newcomers to Art are especially welcome.

Sharing, learning and teaching others is the best way to fan the creative flames.
                The friendly members here will try to help you with any questions you have.

Be sure to review the guidelines for commercial uses,
                Read about the use of images in the Reference Library.
                Links to additional information contained in my signature line below.

(The Abstract & Contemporary Forum is where I am usually found.)

Greggo

https://s3.amazonaws.com/wetcanvas-hdc/Community/images/17-Jul-2013/110200-Tatrabanner.jpg [FONT=Times New Roman] Click here for>> WC FAQS >

Hi, it’s nice to meet you.

The epoxy sealer can be toxic to birds as well especially if a little bit comes ff and they ingest it. You’ll need to find a non toxic concrete sealer that specifically states that’s it’s for wet environments and is non toxic for birds.

Oil paint should not be used at all, even if it’s sealed. Sealants don’t last long and then the toxins would be released.

Birds are extremely sensitive so be careful please!

I would love to see what your bird baths and sculptures look like. We have a quiet but friendly sculpture forum that you might enjoy. :)

Welcome to WetCanvas!

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                Find me on Instagram
                Find me on Facebook

talisman

Also stay away from cadmium and cobalt, there are others also that are toxic. The paints themselves will have warnings, take heed of them.
                    California has the stickiest codes and the warnings are very clear.
                    The advice about aquarium paints and sealers seemed the best to me.
                    You might also check with a local Audubon Society or other Birding Club.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                    C and C always welcome.
                    My DeviantArt Gallery

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.