WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > Palette Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: DAILY WASH Friday March 27th 2020

Nice to see your post Janine Yes, dawn doesn't compute with the seniors I know. I have a friend who says 'don't call me before 10!' Since she is 4 years older than me, I give her a break

The hour for most grocery stores for seniors here is 7-8 I understand, the store is freshly wiped down etc. Here my favourite store is actually bringing the buggy to the customer who has been waiting in line (two lines, one in and one out, separated by 6 metres), and sprays off the buggy before the customer can continue on to shop.

I did make it to the bank, used my keys on the keypad, but had to touch the screen, kept that finger isolated and when home stripped off the gloves and washed my hands at once. We find routines.

I count myself lucky, I have a neighbour with a husband with compromised lungs, she does the shopping, has to wipe down the inside of the car, her shoes, isolate her clothes, take great care with cleaning all the grocery boxes, etc. She is exhausted, poor soul.

Doug! maybe we can get Annie to do the same

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 03:15 PM
Immortalized
Plano, Texas

Hails from United States

Good afternoon. I spent the morning getting the Wii all set up with Internet, etc. I even did the step routine for 20 minutes. The pollen is so high, I do not really want to go walk. We are heading out the door for a walk. I am going to put a mask on.

I am getting creative with meals. Tonight we will have grilled chicken breasts resting on spaghetti with meat sauce.

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 05:39 PM
A Local Legend
Northeastern Ont

Hails from Canada

I was just going to check on the neighbourís house before starting supper. I got her mail and was heading down her front walk when I slipped on a patch of ice. I think Iíve badly sprained my ankle. I managed to hobble home and Iím just sitting with my feet up. I never did make it into her house to check on it and water her plant. I messaged her that I couldnít go today and Iíll see if I can walk tomorrow. I texted Brian that heíll have to pick up supper.

Thatís all I need right now. Iíve been dealing with the leak all day and need to be mobile. At least Brian is home for the next two days and can clear the ice and snow off a 3 foot section of roof that seems to be the problem.

Kay - are you feeling any better today?

Char - Iím amazed you can concentrate on courses and write exams. I canít seem to concentrate.

I guess Iíll play on my iPad awhile. See you all tomorrow.

www.ellenspalette.com
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 05:46 PM
Lord of the Arts
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Good afternoon - oh, Ellen, definitely not what you need. Hope it isn't too badly sprained, or you'll have to travel to Mt Nemo to recuperate with Annie.

Char, of course you can vent her - that's what's so nice about us.

You, too, Maribeth.

I went grocery shopping today - 10-15 minute wait, but they had us well spaced out, and only let people in as others came out. They do have senior's shopping at 7-8 in the morning, so I'll do that next time, but we are set for another week or 2.

I haven't been back to the daily sketch - will get to it soon. Looking for you there to Steve! Betty
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:05 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

I'm here.

Well I decided to call my doctor. Assistant set up a video conference at 3:10pm. Something called doxy.me. It wouldn't recognize my iPad camera or mic. Finally her assistant put me through by phone. I love technology. Remember when we used to talk by phone? Anyway.

She thinks I might have a bronchial infection. Why would I feel nauseated for five days with a bronchial or sinus infection? Never mind. She asked if I wanted an antibiotic. I said no. I've had so many antibiotics in the last three years I don't want to take one if we're not sure I need it. She asked me if I had a humidifier. I do not. No Vicks Vapo Rub either. No cold or flu meds either.

Basically I did what my mother used to do. Fill up the bathroom sink with boiling hot water and stick a towel over my head. Breathe deep. Great for the complexion too. I might stick a Salonpas on both my back and chest before bed.

Oh, and I don't feel nauseated today.

QS I forgot to say yesterday, condolences on the loss of your friend. I am so very sorry. Glad you could see the video.

Oh Ellen! Ice, ice, ice it! What a bummer.

Oh, Char, as if you needed another thing to worry about. Thieves are really busy at this time.

Lynn I guess that's why, but there's no way in hades I'm going grocery shopping at 7am!

Doug it does get discombobulating. Loved the video. After that one another came up of two Italian boys playing the violin. It was fantastic.

Uschi I think that video came from a muppet movie that came out around the time "Pirates of the Caribbean" was so popular. I'm not rushing to any hospitals around here unless there is no other choice. Hospitals here are war zones. If you want to end up with CV-19 they're the place to go.

Okay to you all. Going to eat dinner, feed the cats, watch the news.

Kay
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:42 PM
A WC! Legend
Southern Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Oh, Kay, sorry you didn't get more help! Yes, my mum's treatment too. I hope you are not using the Salonpas for chest pain, just for the aspirin effects.....chest pain you do need to pay attention to

I have 7 buns rising in the kitchen, used only half the recipe, didn't have enough flour. So it may all be a big flop. But it smells good so far, and kneaded nicely. And the bread hooks with my hand mixer worked beautifully!

Ellen

"Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering, There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in" Leonard Cohen
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 06:48 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States

((Kay)) no nauseation is a good sign. Michigan is in trouble too. Trump says he thinks our democrat governor has given him trouble, so he is not helping our state or other states with democratic governors with any concern.
One 16 year old was not treated for Covid19 because he didn't have insurance. He died. I believe he was murdered by our government out of neglect.
Bill

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que Sera
Good morning, JJ. The asparagus foliage or fern in your photo is much sought after by flower arrangers. Iíve never grown it, but I found this video online

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l5jaOYly-j

Thank you I get it now. I will cut the fronds back first week of winter. June 1.

Bill for you.

Doug the purple one has purple flowers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen in Ont
JJ Those green fronds will grow about 4 ft high when mature but you shouldnít be harvesting the spring spears until they are about a cm thick which might take a few years.

Yikes, just as well my garden enclosure is about 6 ft high. I might need to transplant them into a large pot.

Char, just read your post. Oh, I guess I leave it alone for three years, no trimming?

Thank you everyone for all your input on my asparagus. I really love the stuff, but eating too much does make ones urine dark and smelly. Oh well, small price eh.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 09:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Hiya! It didn't rain. I'm still aching, though.

I did venture out. I delivered a painting to a Client. I wiped down the frame with disinfectant before delivering it to her. I advised her to wear gloves and clean the frame again when I handed it to her through the patio door. We talked. She stayed indoors and I stood on her deck. It was refreshing to visit with her while we stayed safely apart. I would not accept cash money or the lovely card she made for me. She'll e-transfer my payment.

Then, I dropped over to the Kids place. McKenzie was working, of course, but took a 10 minute break. Brittany has to work at Walmart tomorrow and is terrified. How horrible is it when you're gut wrenching terrified to go to work. Walmart has installed Plexiglas shields for all the checkout clerks. Because so many people are not coming in for their shifts, Brittany has been put on a till. Since she lost her job as a Counselor at St. Anthony's Church (it's shut down for now), they need this job.

When I returned home, I stripped at the door (ooh la la), dropped my clothes into the washer and then trotted upstairs for a shower. I'm not really sure this was necessary, but it's much better to be safe than sorry. I cannot take any risks for Ted's welfare. He slept through the whole thing!

I read today that the virus molecule is surrounded by a thin membrane of fat. Washing with soap dissolves the fat and sends it all down the drain. A grease remover like Dawn dish soap does the trick!

I'm very happy to see everyone checking in. Your chatty posts are fun to read, too.

((Kay)) When Jonathon was a baby, he had frequent bronchialitis episodes. I would turn on a very hot shower, open a window in the bathroom and then sit there in the steam with him on my lap. I also kept a little simmering on the stove to improve the humidity. It does work. Order a personal humidifier from Amazon. Please take care of yourself. Oh, and I agree with you about not taking any more antibiotics.

Thank you Janine.

(((Ellen))) Sheesh... thank goodness you didn't break any bones.

JJ, leaving the foliage will help your plants self seed. Your patience will be rewarded.

Doug... Bill's big asparagus purchase really isn't all that much, considering. The spears ripen at different times and that many plants will make a few meals each week during the growing season.

I have a 45-minute sandwich bun recipe that I make regularly and it's really, really good if anyone is interested.

Class today... OMG... we are focusing on intolerances to foods. But, we have to memorize the entire digestive system first. My brain's exploding yet again. I sure understand Nancy's GORD much better. We discussed celiac and crohn's, diverticulitis and NASH. I really have to review all this again before my class next week. I wrote my Module 2 exam and finished early. I should have taken more time because my grade was only 85%. I can rewrite it, so I'll do that tomorrow.

Maribeth... I'm not intending to nag. But your Sisters would really be hurt if you didn't trust them to love you despite everything they're dealing with. Every family handles things differently, and you know how much they can deal with.

Shutting down this fine spickety working machine... G'nite. See you in my tomorrow.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 10:29 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Char, I would be very interested to know all you learned about food intolerances
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:15 PM
A WC! Legend
In the middle of Michigan's thumb

Hails from United States

Char, I would love the bun recipe. Glad to see you playing it so safe.

((Ellen)) I missed your message. So sorry you've sprained your ankle. Hope you recover soon.
Bill

#42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2020, 11:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Pinehurst

Hails from Canada

Yes, I'm still up. I've got jumpy legs! I applied my magnesium gel and they'll settle down soon.

45 Minute Hamburg Buns

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. Active Dry Yeast
1 Cup + 2 Tbsp. (warmed) Water
1/3 Cup Olive oil
1/4 Cup Sugar
1 whisked Egg
1 tsp. Kosher Salt
2 Cups organic All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Cups Spelt or Red Fife Whole Wheat Flour

Instructions:
  • Dissolve the yeast in the mixer bowl with the warm water.
  • Stir in the oil and sugar and allow this mixture to stand for about five minutes.
  • Then, add the egg, salt and the flours. Allow the dough hook to combine and beat the ingredients. Or rigorously stir with a wooden spoon.
  • If the dough seems too sticky, add 1/4 cup whole wheat flour as needed. When the dough appears smooth and elastic, pull it from the hook and then divide it into equal pieces.
  • Shape each into a roll and flatten to a slight disk. Place on greased baking sheets about 3" apart. Cover them with a towel
  • Preheat the oven to 425F.
  • Allow the rolls to rest for about 15 minutes or a little longer if you like them a little lighter.
  • Bake for 10-12 minutes until nicely browned and then cool on a rack.

Notes:
Yes, 2 tablespoons of yeast. I use instant, btw. Remember that these are basically a quick rise mixture.

I don't increase the amount of whole wheat because, again, the dough needs the white flour's gluten for the quick rise.

These are so good that we don't buy hamburg buns anymore. The original recipe made 8 rolls, but I found they were too big for our needs. The 12 rolls seem to be just the right size for us. These buns don't disintegrate like the store bought rolls and they add to the flavour of your fillings!

I forgot to mention that I do whisk up another egg and brush that over the buns. I sprinkle them with sesame seeds.

JJ, I would need days to talk about the intolerances. I'll try to highlight a few things as I get through my notes. My last two classes generated over 90 pages of notes. I definitely need to organize them!

So... NOW, I'm going to head up to my pillows. G'nite.

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. Leonardo DaVinci
Handbook Index ... Help for Newbies

Last edited by CharM : 03-27-2020 at 11:51 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-28-2020, 12:15 AM
A WC! Legend
Australia

Oh wow 90 pages

My legs give me fits, if I am not exercising them regularly. I am loving my stationary peddler! I can put it on the table and exercise my upper body too.