WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2020, 04:20 PM

Insect Parade

While deciding what to paint next, I made myself a deal. Whatever I dreamed about that night, I'd at least try. And this was what my brain came up with. I did use references, but this is my first time working with both cityscapes and fantasy in general. I've been using water mixable oils, and did so here, but think I'm having a hard time of it and will probably switch to Gamblin soon. So if anyone can see any specific issues I might have had with that I would be interested in hearing. The picture might be a bit askew as I had a hard time photographing that size from above and had to crop and straighten as best I could. (A skill I'm going to have to work on.) Constructive criticism welcome!

Insect Parade, 15 in. x 30 in. Oil on Canvas.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2020, 10:12 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Insect Parade

What an interesting way to choose a subject. Some nice work here, I especially like the wasp nest area, it also looks like fabric and lace.

I was looking at the road and thinking it isn't quite laying flat and was trying to figure out why. I think it has to do with the dashes. The short sides are nearly vertical and should be more horizontal. But with the painting being quite surreal it's not a big deal.

Maybe soften the edges of the big brown thing.

I wonder if everyone else is trying to remember what they dreamed about last night.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2020, 05:09 AM

Thank you for replying! I agree with you about the road. I'd wondered if it needed work while I was at it and decided to go with it to emphasize the dream feel. But now I'm regretting it, feeling like I beat the dream aspect in with a hammer and the road might just be distracting. At very least I'll know for future pieces. I think this one, I at least need a break from before anything else. Lol. I'll make note of these thoughts and those for the tunnel area for when I do look at it again. Thank you so much for sharing your helpful advice with me, I appreciate it greatly!

(Also, as a side note. I never dream stuff like this and I'm pretty sure it was my brain's way of pranking me. Oh well.)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 12:09 AM
Veteran Member
W Ontario

Hails from Canada

That image would be great for a magazine article for some company. 🙂👍
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2020, 09:54 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

That is so cool, I think it looks fantastic.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2020, 10:56 AM

I love this just as is! I like the fantastic feel of it, the combination of abstract elements with some well-done insect anatomy. I can picture this as being the dustjacket of an SF hardcover anthology book of the 1960s, and it also reminds me of early Hannes Bok, one of my fave SF/fantasy illustrators. I aspire to something this good - well done.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2020, 12:06 PM

Thanks! I had to look Hannes Bok up, and was glad I did. As I was looking over examples of his work, I found myself enjoying the nostalgia of it all and had to smile when I found the examples of 1920's influence (Which was fantastic as well. ) It was like chain a reaction nostalgia that made me happy.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellavina
Thanks! I had to look Hannes Bok up, and was glad I did. As I was looking over examples of his work, I found myself enjoying the nostalgia of it all and had to smile when I found the examples of 1920's influence (Which was fantastic as well. ) It was like chain a reaction nostalgia that made me happy.

Yes yes yes! I love that style of illustration - “the golden age” - and I definitely think that your art carries on that tradition. A combination of the utterly fantastic in a recognizable setting, with a touch of the surreal thrown in. And always a playful color palette. Terrific work, really.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2020, 07:56 AM
Latvia, East Europe

Hails from Latvia

This is fantastic! I love it!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2020, 01:08 AM
WC! Guide
Missouri, I'm still in Colorado in my heart

Hails from United States

I really like this...the insects are great and the background very trippy and cool. The only part I thought could use some more work was the brown "nest".
Over all a very interesting work!
I never remember my dreams I envy you that you can!

Dianna
WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art

C and C always welcome.
My DeviantArt Gallery http://dianna-art.deviantart.com/gallery/